What Kjv Do You Prefer? Pre-'81 Lds, 79-2013 Lds, New Lds 2013, Or A Non-Lds Kjv?

flameburns623

I THINK it was in 1981 that the LDS Church issued Scriptures with a new, unified system of topical notes. That's the version I and probably most LDS and former LDS converts are most familiar with. I always heard this cross-reference system was inspired by the Thompson Chain Reference Bible, and that many Saints actually used the Thompson KJV before the Church came out with the Topical Guide.

Prior to that, LDS Bibles looked pretty much like any other Bible, with center-column references which did NOT cross-reference to Latter-day Scripture. The Triple Combination mostly referenced Latter-day Scripture, but I think some Biblical references as well. I picked up one of these sets, which I could use to multi-reference a Sunday-School or Priesthood lesson--I could have my Quad open to one passage, my older Bible open to another, the Triple Combo opened to a third. With ribbons marking other passages if (rarely) needful.

This older version was a nice handy size, and I still like the Bible, when I opt to read KJV rather than Douay-Rheims.

I see the LDS Church has issued an updated version of your Scriptures. I'll have no reason to pick this up, since I'm Roman Catholic.

Which, however, do you prefer: the "old" LDS KJV, the '81 KJV with Topical Guide, or the newly-released and updated KJV? Or do you use a non-LDS KJV such as the Thompson, or an heirloom Bible from a departed loved one or whatever?

Please note, I'm asking about what type of KJV you use and why--NOT your preferences in other translations.

Edited by flameburns623

My hard copy scriptures are right now the 81 version. I would like the 2013, but will wait till these are just a little more worn out. But I'm and internet junkie. I prefer to read a lot of my scripture of LDS.org, because it's easier to do searches through them and look up other info and such at the same time.

I THINK it was in 1981 that the LDS Church issued Scriptures with a new, unified system of topical notes. That's the version I and probably most LDS and former LDS converts are most familiar with. I always heard this cross-reference system was inspired by the Thompson Chain Reference Bible, and that many Saints actually used the Thompson KJV before the Church came out with the Topical Guide.

Prior to that, LDS Bibles looked pretty much like any other Bible, with center-column references which did NOT cross-reference to Latter-day Scripture. The Triple Combination mostly referenced Latter-day Scripture, but I think some Biblical references as well. I picked up one of these sets, which I could use to multi-reference a Sunday-School or Priesthood lesson--I could have my Quad open to one passage, my older Bible open to another, the Triple Combo opened to a third. With ribbons marking other passages if (rarely) needful.

This older version was a nice handy size, and I still like the Bible, when I opt to read KJV rather than Douay-Rheims.

I see the LDS Church has issued an updated version of your Scriptures. I'll have no reason to pick this up, since I'm Roman Catholic.

Which, however, do you prefer: the "old" LDS KJV, the '81 KJV with Topical Guide, or the newly-released and updated KJV? Or do you use a non-LDS KJV such as the Thompson, or an heirloom Bible from a departed loved one or whatever?

Please note, I'm asking about what type of KJV you use and why--NOT your preferences in other translations.

Thomas Nelson 1990 Version KJV, and I look a lot of scripture up on the internet through Bible Gate Way, though if I know it is an LDS issue then I will go to the LDS KJV.. If it is something I am studying fairly intensely then I will use several different versions.