Why Do Mormons Own Personal Copies Of Hymnals?

flameburns623

It's not common among Protestants to own a personal copy of a hymnal. Seventh-Day Adventists MIGHT, Jehovah's Witnesses often do, but apart from Latter-Day Saints, these are the only extant groups which customarily do so.

I will acknowledge that some Gideons New Testaments carry a smattering of hymns in the front. Not all do, and usually the ones intended for servicemen from my own experience.

How did LDS come to make this a common practice? Just curious.

No idea. I have a hymnal because there are never enough copies available at church. Having my own copy means I can always join in. I know very few of the hymns by heart. I dont recall nor being abke to see a hymnbook Any where else I've worshipped. So maybe it's because the church doesn't provide enough! :). Had a thought - maybe because of FHE? Maybe. LDS are more likely to have hymn singing outside of church and choirs and they don't want to use CDs?

I too think it is because we sing our hymns in our homes as part of FHE, and we enjoy playing them on the piano... sometimes I copy the words of certain hymns and send them to people.  Particularly those who love the sea as I do... Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy comes to mind.  Or... Jesus Savior Pilot Me. 

I enjoy reading the hymns as many seem written just for when I need uplifting, encouragement, faith, reminder of the Savior's love, etc.  Our hymns bring comfort in many ways...

from the beach on a cold icy evening... I'm thankful for my little cottage and the warmth and security it gives... Bobbie-cat is curled up at my feet... I think our snow is past now.

GG

It's not common among Protestants to own a personal copy of a hymnal. Seventh-Day Adventists MIGHT, Jehovah's Witnesses often do, but apart from Latter-Day Saints, these are the only extant groups which customarily do so.

I will acknowledge that some Gideons New Testaments carry a smattering of hymns in the front. Not all do, and usually the ones intended for servicemen from my own experience.

The simplest of reasons.  Because we sing hymns in more places than during Sunday Church meetings.

I couldn't tell you how this became common practice, but I would imagine it is due to the lack of organized congregational meetings throughout the first 100 years of the church.  When you lived with your family on a ranch in the middle of nowhere, were in a small handcart group, or were hiding from the law there weren't always opportunity to be in the local meeting hall.  And sometimes, you just need to sing a hymn.

I have one around somewhere still. Piano lessons when I was a kid. Some of them are really enjoyable to play, though I haven't tickled the keys for some time. I've looked before for a Catholic hymnal to buy, because I really like particular hymns and would like to have the music. I haven't found one that has all the hymns I'm looking for and have considered saving the Sunday missal just to have a collection of the hymns!

One of our deacons made the comment that he could tell who the Mormon converts are because we sing. :)

Edited by saemo

I too think it is because we sing our hymns in our homes as part of FHE, and we enjoy playing them on the piano... sometimes I copy the words of certain hymns and send them to people. Particularly those who love the sea as I do... Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy comes to mind. Or... Jesus Savior Pilot Me.

I enjoy reading the hymns as many seem written just for when I need uplifting, encouragement, faith, reminder of the Savior's love, etc. Our hymns bring comfort in many ways...

from the beach on a cold icy evening... I'm thankful for my little cottage and the warmth and security it gives... Bobbie-cat is curled up at my feet... I think our snow is past now.

GG

The sea....Why I love Ave Maris Stella, and NEED the music arrangement for piano. Edited by saemo

I have one around somewhere still. Piano lessons when I was a kid. Some of them are really enjoyable to play, though I haven't tickled the keys for some time. I've looked before for a Catholic hymnal to buy, because I really like particular hymns and would like to have the music. I haven't found one that has all the hymns I'm looking for and have considered saving the Sunday missal just to have a collection of the hymns!

One of our deacons made the comment that he could tell who the Mormon converts are because we sing. :)

I took three years of formal piano lessons, and learned how to play the stereo. :) I still can't carry a tune in a bucket. So I just make a joyful noise unto the Lord. :)

I took three years of formal piano lessons, and learned how to play the stereo. :) I still can't carry a tune in a bucket. So I just make a joyful noise unto the Lord. :)

I had 8 but quit when my teacher started arranging performances. That scared me to.death.

I can't sing at all which is why I love our loud organ, the one that has a life of its own.

This is a novel question.  Come to think of it we do have hymnal in our home and I received a small hymnal as a gift some 40 years ago when I went on a mission; however, we don't bring them to church with us when we go.  I have seen other members use a personal hymnal, similar to the small one I received as a gift, but it is not common.  

The LDS membership is fond of singing hymns; that is not to say that we don't have some congregations that are a bit lax on the practice, but it is certainly part of our heritage.  

I enjoy listening to sacred music and have everything from Gregorian Chants to Southern Gospel and many different styles in between.  

I have one from my teaching days, I do so because of something the Prophet Joseph said (and I paraphrase. "Hymns are prayer offered to the most high God". The song of Zion are perhaps on of the greatest prayer books ever written; sometimes in our troubles we don"t know what to pray, but within that book we can always find a prayer that speaks to our needs.

I have one from my teaching days, I do so because of something the Prophet Joseph said (and I paraphrase. "Hymns are prayer offered to the most high God". The song of Zion are perhaps on of the greatest prayer books ever written; sometimes in our troubles we don"t know what to pray, but within that book we can always find a prayer that speaks to our needs.

"Who sings, prays twice". St. Augustine.

Catholic prayer books often contain a few hymns as well.

I inherited several hymnals over the years: the blue LDS hymnal which got replaced by the green one. An Anglican hymnal. And some other Protestant hymnals. I like to peruse these and, in effect, pray the words: I do not read music and 'tis amazing how few hymns out of three hundred or more in an average hymnal actually get sung.

Here's a partial answer to my own query which occurred to me: the LDS have a STANDARD hymnal. A lot of other Protestants don't. And neither do Catholic parishes: hymnals may be approved within a diocese, (though I don't think so, especially not in Newchurch/Vatican II parishes, where any "hymn" that is more than thirty days old is 'contrary to the Spirit of the Second Vatican Council'. (Used to be that if a composer hadn't been dead for at least 50 years, his music didn't get played in a church service, but that's entirely opposite to contemporary policy).

So: y'all can own PERSONAL hymnals because--you only HAVE one hymnal extant at any given time. At least in my experience and to my knowledge.

Edited by flameburns623

"Who sings, prays twice". St. Augustine.

Catholic prayer books often contain a few hymns as well.

I inherited several hymnals over the years: the blue LDS hymnal which got replaced by the green one. An Anglican hymnal. And some other Protestant hymnals. I like to peruse these and, in effect, pray the words: I do not read music and 'tis amazing how few hymns out of three hundred or more in an average hymnal actually get sung.

Here's a partial answer to my own query which occurred to me: the LDS have a STANDARD hymnal. A lot of other Protestants don't. And neither do Catholic parishes: hymnals may be approved within a diocese, (though I don't think so, especially not in Newchurch/Vatican II parishes, where any "hymn" that is more than thirty days old is 'contrary to the Spirit of the Second Vatican Council'. (Used to be that if a composer hadn't been dead for at least 50 years, his music didn't get played in a church service, but that's entirely opposite to contemporary policy).

So: y'all can own PERSONAL hymnals because--you only HAVE one hymnal extant at any given time. At least in my experience and to my knowledge.

And then there are the Psalms, which are meant to be sung, and are usually the songs that are found in Catholic prayer books. :-) The oldest hymnbook I know of!

Edited by saemo