Seriously No Politics ×

Mormon Network

I'm not really sure exactly how to ask this question. I have too much time on my hands, but on the other hand, I try to do too much and get worn out if people are too needy all the time... So I have been thinking about what to do differently. So, right now being a house sitter/caretaker seems like it could be a good idea.   Ideally, it would be out in the country with the nearest town a couple of days drive away.

I've done house sitting a couple times and as long as their dogs or cats are not seen as actual children it could work. I was raised on a farm and can slop hogs, hay cattle, and clean a watering trough. Horses are OK as long as they don't run me over when I slip them a little grain once in a while. Don't think I would care to ride them any more unless they are not knotheads, but then any horse can go loony over a gum wrapper.

I can shoot OK but I can only get my hands on a 30.06. Of course in these times mostly animals are not the most dangerous predators.

I could perhaps do some Irrigation if the pipes aren't too big and long.

I'm a full on Mormon, so there won't be any covenant violating where I am. It doesn't matter if it is winter or summer, though I do not own snow shoes, so you'll have to provide those.

It would be nice to have Internet service. I write Science Fiction, but that is not a hard stop without it. I'm not a licensed care giver, though I could cook meals for the elderly as long as they don't want caviar on a cracker or some such.

Compensation would be free rent or something of trade value as I am taken care of otherwise.

Edited by EllenMaksoud

With the option of the Internet, I wouldnt be surprised if eventually someone comes up with connecting people similar to your situation. Can't find anything myself....maybe someone else has come across it?

They do it with nannies...at least in the past it was quite popular for people back East to recruit at BYU for Mormon young women to move back east as their nannies...heard both good and bad stories, wonder if it is still going on?

I used to think how it would be fun to do something similar... swap houses for a month or two with other LDS... for instance I would love to swap with an LDS artist/writer on the east coast, preferably in Maine, where I could take some painting workshops on the Maine coast.  My house would be perfect for another artist or writer...

I even thought about switching with someone from Salt Lake for a couple weeks... so I contacted a real estate office I saw advertised in a SLC newspaper that looked LDS friendly... they said they had thought about setting up an "exchange" but hadn't done so as yet.  I've sort of given up on the thought due to a couple of health issues, but I think such an exchange for LDS would be terrific.

GG

I can shoot OK but I can only get my hands on a 30.06. Of course in these times mostly animals are not the most dangerous predators.

That is a lot of firepower and takes time to get into a compfortable position...I would go with a shotgun .20, it loud enough to sacre away and will sting if you hit the mark.

That is a lot of firepower and takes time to get into a compfortable position...I would go with a shotgun .20, it loud enough to sacre away and will sting if you hit the mark.

I was thinking of those dangerous to sheep and cattle. For predators that are <21 feet, I can legally shoot them with my .45 auto if they are facing me, and I am "fearful for my life". Oh, and they are in my place of abode. :) It pays to know the law.

I have special 30.06 with Muzzle Brake, and thick stock pad.

Edited by EllenMaksoud