An Exorcism In The News

boblloyd91

Read this article today http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2014/01/25/the-disposession-of-latoya-ammons/4892553/

I was wondering what you all thought about it...my personal take is that this is an interesting case that has considerably more witnesses than your average exorcism. There still are some outlandish facets to this story, but again, this one seems pretty well documented. I have been reading that exorcisms are on the rise according to the Catholic Church, and this is becoming a more frequent topic that is brought up in our cultural discussions.

As I was reading some Evangelical commentary on this over at Patheos, it seems that many evangelicals believe that if you have the Holy Spirit, you will not be possessed. I was wondering if we as LDS have similar views, I'm guessing we do. Out of curiosity, have any board members here ever been involved in an exorcism or casting out a demon? I know there have been some good threads on this in the past, as well as at the common consent blog. This is a topic that interests me. 

From this article: http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/57833/President-Boyd-K-Packer-Fledgling-Finches-and-Family-Life.html

Wicked spirits have their bounds, limits, and laws by which they are governed or controlled. . . . It is very evident that they possess a power that none but those who have the Priesthood can control. (6)

Joseph Smith also taught a principle crucial in importance that everyone, particularly those holding the priesthood, should fully understand. He said: We came to this earth that we might have a body and present it pure before God in the celestial kingdom. The great principle of happiness consists in having a body. The devil has no body, and herein is his punishment. He is pleased when he can obtain the tabernacle of man. . . .

All beings who have bodies have power over those who have not [let me say that again—“all beings who have bodies have power over those who have not”]. The devil has no power over us only as we permit him. (7)

Satan cannot seduce us by his enticements unless we in our hearts consent and yield. Our organization is such that we can resist the devil; if we were not organized so, we would not be free agents. ( 8)

6. Teachings, 208.
7. Teachings, 181.
8. Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith (Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2007), 213; quoted by William P. McIntire, reporting a discourse given by Joseph Smith in early 1841 in Nauvoo, Illinois; William Patterson McIntire, Notebook 1840–45, Church Archives.

I was wondering if we as LDS have similar views, I'm guessing we do.

From this article: http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/57833/President-Boyd-K-Packer-Fledgling-Finches-and-Family-Life.html

Wicked spirits have their bounds, limits, and laws by which they are governed or controlled. . . . It is very evident that they possess a power that none but those who have the Priesthood can control. (6)

Joseph Smith also taught a principle crucial in importance that everyone, particularly those holding the priesthood, should fully understand. He said: We came to this earth that we might have a body and present it pure before God in the celestial kingdom. The great principle of happiness consists in having a body. The devil has no body, and herein is his punishment. He is pleased when he can obtain the tabernacle of man. . . .

All beings who have bodies have power over those who have not [let me say that again—“all beings who have bodies have power over those who have not”]. The devil has no power over us only as we permit him. (7)

Satan cannot seduce us by his enticements unless we in our hearts consent and yield. Our organization is such that we can resist the devil; if we were not organized so, we would not be free agents. (8 )

6. Teachings, 208.

7. Teachings, 181.

8. Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith (Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2007), 213; quoted by William P. McIntire, reporting a discourse given by Joseph Smith in early 1841 in Nauvoo, Illinois; William Patterson McIntire, Notebook 1840–45, Church Archives.

Thank you for that.  An excellent book is cited there, which I have read and highly recommend:

Malachi Martin, Hostage to the Devil.  Martin was one of the most knowledgeable priests in Catholicism, and wrote a number of very informative books -- particularly about the Jesuit order.

Read this article today http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2014/01/25/the-disposession-of-latoya-ammons/4892553/

I was wondering what you all thought about it...my personal take is that this is an interesting case that has considerably more witnesses than your average exorcism. There still are some outlandish facets to this story, but again, this one seems pretty well documented. I have been reading that exorcisms are on the rise according to the Catholic Church, and this is becoming a more frequent topic that is brought up in our cultural discussions.

As I was reading some Evangelical commentary on this over at Patheos, it seems that many evangelicals believe that if you have the Holy Spirit, you will not be possessed. I was wondering if we as LDS have similar views, I'm guessing we do. Out of curiosity, have any board members here ever been involved in an exorcism or casting out a demon? I know there have been some good threads on this in the past, as well as at the common consent blog. This is a topic that interests me. 

I knew a Jewish rabbi in Kansas City who did exorcisms -- a great scholar and not a man to be taken lightly.

I knew a Jewish rabbi in Kansas City who did exorcisms -- a great scholar and not a man to be taken lightly.

Out of curiosity, how are those similar or different to a Christian exorcism?

It is a weird glitch, what you are doing should work. Didn't I tell you to try clicking on the lightswitch icon on the upper left side as that might reset some screwed up code? Might have been someone else with what appears to be a coding problem. The quote should be appearing in the reply box before you even type...

Other than that, you have to appeal to the mods...start a thread in Social about it perhaps which is what many do.

Overall I am intrigued by this story. I think it is interesting due to the eye witnesses. Some things stand out as a little too Hollywood, though. But I confess on being ignorant. I really don't know what kind of powers demons and the devil have. Can people that are possessed really climb walls backwards? I am a little skeptical. But I am open minded that this could indeed happen. I just don't know.

Thank you for that.  An excellent book is cited there, which I have read and highly recommend:

Malachi Martin, Hostage to the Devil.  Martin was one of the most knowledgeable priests in Catholicism, and wrote a number of very informative books -- particularly about the Jesuit order.

See here: http://www.amazon.com/Hostage-Devil-Possession-Contemporary-Americans/dp/006065337X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391116790&sr=8-1&keywords=%22Hostage+to+the+Devil%22.  (And you're welcome! :))

I have. Devils are overrated.

Hopefully, anyone who honors his Priesthood (whether that Priesthood be Mormon or Catholic, or whatever) can say that. :)

I have.  And it was while I was a missionary in the MTC, no less.

It's interesting what draws the Adversary's attention (and how much attention it draws).  Having said that, the Adversary, because he lacks a body, holds a grudge against anyone who has one . . . period.

I saw the Catholic Priest (who seems to be the most outspoken about this occurrence) interviewed on T.V. last night and was not at all impressed.  He admitted that he hadn't even met the children involved.  Why is he acting like he's such an authority on this case if he hasn't had any contact with any of them but the Mother?  

He added that he'd put a cross on her (the Mother's) forehead and that she went into convulsions when he did this.  All very strange.

I have participated in a couple. One of them turned out well, the other one did not. A key principle that I learned is that the faith, obedience to the commandments, and the keeping of covenants of all those involved, including those acting in the priesthood, is absolutely vital.

Out of curiosity, how are those similar or different to a Christian exorcism?

I don't know.  I didn't attend any of his exorcisms (I was his student at the Univ. of Missouri--Kansas City), but I would imagine that they didn't include Jesus.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exorcism ,

Josephus reports exorcisms performed by administering poisonous root extracts and others by making sacrifices. The Dead Sea Scrolls mention that exorcisms were done by the Essene branch of Judaism.

In more recent times, Rabbi Yehuda Fetaya authored the book Minchat Yahuda, which deals extensively with exorcism, his experience with possessed people, and other subjects of Jewish thought. The book is written in Hebrew and was translated into English.

Rabbi Gershon Winkler of New Mexico explains that the procedure for a Jewish exorcism is intended not only to drive away the possessing force, but to help both the possessor and the possessed in an act of healing. The Jewish exorcism ritual is performed by a rabbi who has mastered practical Kabbalah. Also present is a minyan (a group of ten adult males), who gather in a circle around the possessed person. The group recites Psalm 91 three times, and then the rabbi blows a shofar (a ram's horn).

The shofar is blown in a certain way, with various notes and tones, in effect to "shatter the body" so that the possessing force will be shaken loose. After it has been shaken loose, the rabbi begins to communicate with it and ask it questions such as why it is possessing the body of the possessed. The minyan may pray for it and perform a ceremony for it in order to enable it to feel safe, and so that it can leave the person's body.

Interesting about the prayer circle (minyan).

A good way to exorcise:

Exorcizamus te, omnis immundus spiritus
omnis satanica potestas, omnis incursio
infernalis adversarii, omnis legio,
omnis congregatio et secta diabolica.
Ergo draco maledicte
et omnis legio diabolica
adjuramus te.
Cessa decipere humanas creaturas,
eisque aeternae Perditionis venenum propinare.

Vade, Satana, inventor et magister
omnis fallaciae, hostis humanae salutis.
Humiliare sub potenti manu dei,
contremisce et effuge, invocato a
nobis sancto et terribili nomine,
quem inferi tremunt.

Ab insidiis diaboli, libera nos, Domine.
Ut Ecclesiam tuam secura tibi facias libertate servire
te rogamus, audi nos.
Ut inimicos sanctae Ecclesiae humiliare digneris,
te rogamus, audi nos.

Terribilis Deus de sanctuario suo.
Deus Israhel ipse truderit virtutem
et fortitudinem plebi Suae.
Benedictus deus. Gloria patri.

Archived