Seriously No Politics ×

Church Video On Utah Alcohol Laws

halconero

Yes, and the comment boards at the Salt Lake Tribune are blowing up with outrage that the church should ever dare to state it's position on matters that touch on public policy.

Of course.  Churches are allowed to have moral beliefs or convictions about what is good or bad for people, but they should never speak those beliefs outside of the actual church.  

:rolleyes:

Of course.  Churches are allowed to have moral beliefs or convictions about what is good or bad for people, but they should never speak those beliefs outside of the actual church.  

:rolleyes:

What happened to bluebell you sound more like TSS. Rofl.

Sorry.  My sarcasm button is stuck on today i think.   :D

Nah I understood you just fine. I was just ribbing our good friend TSS.

When the church owned the Hotel Utah, it continued to sell and serve alcoholic drinks.

It still does, but the hotel is now called ... the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. ;):D

When the church owned the Hotel Utah, it continued to sell and serve alcoholic drinks.

I'm not familiar enough with the history of Hotel Utah to challenge this except to say that as late as 1984, when management was taken over by the Westin hotel chain, alcoholic beverages were not sold in Hotel Utah. That continued to be the policy after Westin took over management. Not long after that, the hotel was closed and was converted into today's Joseph Smith Memorial Building.

See this Deseret News story from back then.

Not sure what relevance this has to the topic of this thread in any case.

I'm a little embarrassed to say, and I don't know why, that I had my honeymoon at the Hotel Utah.  Also my husband worked on the renovation to make it the Joseph Smith Building.  I have some marble slab from it and we owned a telephone booth that stood in the lobby, but we donated it to the YW's and YM's auction to help with youth camps.   

What happened to bluebell you sound more like TSS. Rofl.

I've never said anything like that. I think churches included the LDS have every right to voice any opinion they want anywhere they want. Decorum says that I don't standup in a Sacrament Meeting and spout off on my political ideas. That same decorum says that I don't give a presentation on the social implications of drinking alcohol by invoking God.

Archived