Seriously No Politics ×

Back For A Short Bit

TAO

That is great, Tao.

My family (parents and a couple of siblings and kids) used to live in Fort Collins, beautiful area.

Miss seeing you on the board though...

Edited by calmoriah

I have completed my trial mission in Ventura California honorably, and will be leaving for Fort Collins Colorado on a full time mission on the 22nd.  Just wanted to let you all know!

Good for you, my son once asked do you not want to see me for two years. So I told him yes, with all the pieces of my broken heart and I will count the days until you return. Go with God and spend as much time as you can on your knees in prayer...and reap the joy of service to others, and as Paul taught "..."approach the throne of God boldly", for you will be on his mission!

I have never heard of trial missions. Is this new in the church? But of course there is case by case situations.

Good job Tao, I'm looking forward to future conversations and hearing your missionary stories.

Recently we were asked to feed the missionaries. The one missionary asked my husband and I what solidified our testimonies. I had to break down and tell them the truth, I'm struggling with belief. Now they want to visit me again soon to see how I'm doing. I told them I'd call them first and told them they were awesome, so hopefully didn't make them feel bad for asking. I guess they aren't allowed to tract and go by referrals only. Very nice young men. But never thought I'd be on the receiving end of proselytizing missionaries.

That is great, Tao.

My family (parents and a couple of siblings and kids) used to live in Fort Collins, beautiful area.

Miss seeing you on the board though...

Hehe, the mission actually includes parts of Wyoming and Nebraska as well as some of Colorado.  I've heard it's very much of a 'four season' place, which should be a bit different than Cali (one or two season climate).  I look forward to going though.  It's going to be wonderful!

Hehe... I miss the people on the board a ton.  Not so much the disagreements that go on (who misses those?), but the people I miss, definitely =).

Good for you, my son once asked do you not want to see me for two years. So I told him yes, with all the pieces of my broken heart and I will count the days until you return. Go with God and spend as much time as you can on your knees in prayer...and reap the joy of service to others, and as Paul taught "..."approach the throne of God boldly", for you will be on his mission!

Thanks!  And yeah, as much as it hurts, it's the right thing to do.  And it's helped me grow a lot.  I know I have come back a better son and brother than I left, and will come back in 21 months to be even better than that.  In a sense, I think it's going to help our family grow closer, which is really wonderful.  And service really is the medicine for most spiritual ailments, it is truly great to be able to do so much of it!

Wooo!! Congrats.

Tanks! (no, not thanks, tanks)  ;-). 

Congrats. :yahoo:

Tanks again!

I have never heard of trial missions. Is this new in the church? But of course there is case by case situations.

Good job Tao, I'm looking forward to future conversations and hearing your missionary stories.

Recently we were asked to feed the missionaries. The one missionary asked my husband and I what solidified our testimonies. I had to break down and tell them the truth, I'm struggling with belief. Now they want to visit me again soon to see how I'm doing. I told them I'd call them first and told them they were awesome, so hopefully didn't make them feel bad for asking. I guess they aren't allowed to tract and go by referrals only. Very nice young men. But never thought I'd be on the receiving end of proselytizing missionaries.

Mmm... I don't know how old it is... but it does seem to be rather new.  I know other Aspie's who went who never went through trial, but I also have heard of serveral other cases from the Stake President.  But supposedly it is rather rare, as I had never heard about it before it was suggested.

Haha, I have LOTS of stories.  LOTS and LOTS and LOTS.  I shall write some stories in a future post (it might be a bit later in the day though).  The Lord really does teach you a lot on your mission.  It's not easy, but it's sure worth it.

Oh yes!  We love visiting members!  I have to say that was one of my favorite parts of the trial mission... members are awesome!  So it is wonderful that you are being able to meet with them.  Yeah, part of our duties as missionaries is to assist the members, and actually teach them lessons.  So don't worry about it... chances are they are very happy they found somebody they can visit.  I've heard that the referral only type missions are difficult, but it's slowly helping the work to move forward.  I know in our mission we still did door-to-dooring (with some success), but I have a feeling it will be changing sometime in the future.  I know they were getting Facebook and I-Pads (for planning and organization) sometime soon.  In any case, yeah, members are great.  Sometime this week I will tell you about one Sister who was my favorite person to visit on the mission (she was a Less-Active).

Thanks everyone!

Not to derail the thread.  In my ward, we're trying to be more proactive with regard to involving members in missionary work so as to obviate more "traditional" methods.  Short run, I think it will be difficult for the Church/missions to say, "If our missionaries don't get any referrals, the work will be a challenge ...   But we're serious about taking the burden of finding off of the shoulders of missionaries and putting it onto the shoulders of members."   Eventually, I hope members (yeah, like me ;)) will get the message and rise to the challenge.

And TAO ...

Congratulations on successfully completing the trial mission!!!! :yahoo:

And Godspeed for the next 21 months! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ1-tdE6kdc