Marriage In Temple For Time Only

The current church handbook of instructions (which was written in 2010)  says that the only people that are able to marry in the temple for time only are widows (who are sealed) marrying widowers (who are sealed) who have never been divorced.

However, in the past, widows marrying again, and divorced people who could not be sealed yet due to the current sealing they had which had not been cancelled yet were able to marry for time.

Does anyone know when this change took place? I have a friend that married in the temple for time before 1998. The policy either changed in the 1998, 2006, or the 2010 handbook. 

Thanks!

The current church handbook of instructions (which was written in 2010)  says that the only people that are able to marry in the temple for time only are widows (who are sealed) marrying widowers (who are sealed) who have never been divorced.

The church handbook seems wrong. Are you sure you are reading it correctly?

A female widower cannot be sealed to two men at the same time. The church

does not have the authority to break the sealing to her deceased first husband 

before she is sealed to another living man. But from what I have heard about

Brigham Young, several living women could be sealed to him if authorized by said

church.  They would be his extra wives in the resurrection.

Thanks,

Jim

The church handbook seems wrong. Are you sure you are reading it correctly?

A female widower cannot be sealed to two men at the same time. The church

does not have the authority to break the sealing to her deceased first husband 

before she is sealed to another living man. But from what I have heard about

Brigham Young, several living women could be sealed to him if authorized by said

church.  They would be his extra wives in the resurrection.

Thanks,

Jim

I think the OP is about marriages for "time only" that take place in the temple.

One more time, women can also be sealed to more than one husband by special permission. 

Well, they shouldn't be (in my opinion).  Unless there is uncertainty where they will belong in the next life, it goes against established gospel principles (in my opinion).

Edited by JLHPROF

Well, they shouldn't be (in my opinion). Unless there is uncertainty where they will belong in the next life, it goes against established gospel principles (in my opinion).

Good thing your opinion on it doesn't matter, or your disagreement with the prophet could be a problem.

:D

Well according to the Church Handbook a living woman can only be sealed to one husband.  If she wishes to be sealed to a second a cancellation of the first sealing must be issued.

A deceased woman with multiple civil marriages in her life will be sealed to all posthumously since her "eternal companion" is not known.  But this does not mean all sealings will stand polyandrously.  It means she gets her choice.

Any exceptions to this Church Handbook policy that have been issued, even with approval, seem to go against gospel principles in my opinion.  That's what the handbook says and it agrees with principles in D&C 132.

" But this does not mean all sealings will stand polyandrously. It means she gets her choice."

And yet that explanation was removed, not added....usually that happens to a speculative or false teaching, not actual doctrine from what I've seen.

So since the First Presidency is acting against he Will of God by confirming these second eternal sealings without conditions attached, you need to put them straight before this becomes the defacto practice...for then only you would know what Truth was!

Since the rest of us most likely will believe that given such a significant practice, that our prophets are acting under inspiration from God.

Edited by calmoriah

Well according to the Church Handbook a living woman can only be sealed to one husband. If she wishes to be sealed to a second a cancellation of the first sealing must be issued.

A deceased woman with multiple civil marriages in her life will be sealed to all posthumously since her "eternal companion" is not known. But this does not mean all sealings will stand polyandrously. It means she gets her choice.

Any exceptions to this Church Handbook policy that have been issued, even with approval, seem to go against gospel principles in my opinion. That's what the handbook says and it agrees with principles in D&C 132.

And again, it's a good thing your opinion doesn't matter at all.

The prophet of the church has authorized some sealers to use the sealing power to bind some women to more than one man so that she is sealed, on earth and in heaven, to multiple husbands.

Handbook policy aside.

:)