Seriously No Politics ×

1 Nephi 3:7

Moses 5 : 13 comes to mind. As I have said before, Hugh Nibley added ' stupid ' to the list.

It also could be pride or procrastination, but I suspect in many cases it is just laziness.

Yeh, and mediated by free agency.

Of course, I Nephi 3:7 is not dealing with generic commandments, but rather with a very specific command given to a prophet, Lehi.  On the other hand, the generic rule may come into play at I Nephi 17:3, and in a slightly different way in I Corinthians 10:13, "God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

Cf. I Nephi 9:6, "But the Lord knoweth all things from the beginning; wherefore, he prepareth a way to accomplish all his works among the children of men; for behold, he hath all power unto the fulfilling of all his words."

However, we are advised not to look beyond the mark (Jacob 4:14) in Ecclesiasticus (in the KJV Apocrypha) 3:21-23, "Seek not out the things that are too hard for thee, neither search the things that are above thy strength.  But what is commanded thee, think thereupon with reverence, for it is not needfull for thee, to see with thine eyes, the things that are in secret.  Be not curious in unnecessarie matters: for more things are shewed unto thee, then men understand."

When it says He provides a way, He isn't saying an easy way, or one that you will always figure out in the first two seconds.     Providing a way also included providing a Savior and repentance and persistence in trying anew.

Because people have a hard time switching over from striving for independence to striving for interdependence.  Independence is laudable, but it is not the end goal.  We are meant to work together, and we are meant to work with Christ.  I never imagined how hard it really is to lay my burden at the Lord's feet.  It should be so easy.

It is complex.  It is messy.  It is life.

Do you really believe the Lord provides a way for us to keep His commandments?

And if so, why don't we as a people follow them more?

I encounter folk who seem to flirt with sin, questioning and complaining, searching for a way to justify their wrong ways. I would not say this so strongly had I not been caught in that snare in the past.  In this iteration of life, having suffered the consequences of wayward desires, and lost everything, I know.  Now, with the will of Heavenly Father as the center and purpose of life, temptation seems much more mild, though I am completely alone.

Those with jobs and families that distract them have my deepest sympathy. The only way I know to resist sin is to be devout, and in real life there are so many distractions and temptations.

I encounter folk who seem to flirt with sin, questioning and complaining, searching for a way to justify their wrong ways. I would not say this so strongly had I not been caught in that snare in the past.  In this iteration of life, having suffered the consequences of wayward desires, and lost everything, I know.  Now, with the will of Heavenly Father as the center and purpose of life, temptation seems much more mild, though I am completely alone.

Those with jobs and families that distract them have my deepest sympathy. The only way I know to resist sin is to be devout, and in real life there are so many distractions and temptations.

just as an aside, it's nice to know someone else uses "flirt" in a non dating way, I use it frequently and some people call me on it as if it's against the law or something

Just recently, I asked two missionaries at the dinner table (we were at my Bishop's house) what the biggest problem people had about becoming Mormon? They answered the Word of Wisdom. (not suprising since it is a blue collar town and a lot of beer and cigarettes are the norm). I then asked why did they think they found it so hard to get past it. The one missionary said "because the are lazy".  

Yes I do believe he always provides away.

We don't always obey because our natures are fallen and we don't always WANT to obey.

That, and we don't always believe either. When I tend to sin, it's based on a "This stuff is just idealism anyway." attitude.

I then asked why did they think they found it so hard to get past it. The one missionary said "because the are lazy".

Youth is speaking with no concept of dependence and addiction and lifelong habits engrained in the body...the spirit is often willing, but the flesh is weak.

Youth is speaking with no concept of dependence and addiction and lifelong habits engrained in the body...the spirit is often willing, but the flesh is weak.

My problem with this is not so much with the youth than it is with the adults who taught them this line of thinking. :( But that's for another thread I suppose.

Well sometimes it is simple laziness from not having thought it through....and a great deal of lack of experience. It is not always an idea inherited from parents. I used to, before I understood the psychological and biological implications of addiction berate myself and others for not being "committed enough". I had misapplied one of my Dad's principles much broader than he ever intended as he knew well enough there were limitations on what commitment can actually achieve. It did not take very long though once I got married as well as having more significant health issues to realize my error.

A good point...Joseph taught that "Satan has no power over except that which we give him".

Also in 1 Nephi 22: 26 states...

And because of the righteousness of his people, Satan has no power;

So my question is what are we waiting for...what am "I" waiting for?

God absolutely provides a way for us to keep his commandments, or it would be nonsensical to expect us to do so.

People don't follow them because of that pesky free agency thing and the fact that most people don't want to do anything they don't enjoy.

No, there isn't always a "way".  But as long as you can blame the devotee for failure, everything should be fine.