"mormon" Culture Rated Among The Superior

Vance

Did you see how they determined which groups were most successful?  They were those groups who displayed the "triple package" formula: a superiority complex, insecurity, and impulse control."

I thought that was interesting, and at the same time, i don't really understand what it means.

I'm guessing that they are going to make people buy the book in order to really understand what they are saying.

Would prefer not to be called "superior" from someone who views this as the proper was to raise a successful child:

"Chua wrote about calling one of her two daughters “garbage” for being rude, dismissing a homemade birthday card as subpar (“I don’t want this — I want another one”), refusing to let her girls watch TV or participate in school plays or have sleepovers, of threatening to give away a beloved dollhouse if her daughter couldn’t master a complicated classical composition within days."

"Imposter syndrome,” the term used to describe highly successful individuals who believe, deep down, they are frauds, was identified back in 1978."

So it would appear that happiness and peace are contrary to what the writers see as success...better to be constantly striving while always feeling like a failure inside.

No thanks. It made breed a lot of overachieving people...it will also breed for an unstable country IMO.

I do agree with them about impulse control...but I think they have twisted views of the other two and definitely about what success really is.

Did you see how they determined which groups were most successful?  They were those groups who displayed the "triple package" formula: a superiority complex, insecurity, and impulse control."

I thought that was interesting, and at the same time, i don't really understand what it means.

I'm guessing that they are going to make people buy the book in order to really understand what they are saying.

I didn't either until I read this comment on another site.

“the most successful religious and race groups see themselves as exceptional” – Of course. They’re not taught that they’re “owed” anything, and stupidity is pointed out as a fault, rather than treated as a matter of “self-esteem”.

“The authors contend that in the most successful religious and racial groups “people tend to feel insecure, inadequate, that they have to prove themselves.” – again, unlike those who are taught a sense of entitlement, who are also taught that their faults can be blamed on others.

“Impulse control refers to the ability to resist temptation, especially the temptation to give up in the face of hardship or quit instead of persevering at a difficult task,” – or for that matter, spending money that you don’t have; dropping out because getting good grades is “being white”, or quitting because you know that the least you can get as a grade is a “needs improvement” or better yet, a pass on the curve and a pass due to “affirmative action”.

So it would appear that happiness and peace are contrary to what the writers see as success...better to be constantly striving while always feeling like a failure inside.

She may be imputing motives to our drive toward success that aren't there. But remember, she is an outsider and must fill in the gaps based upon her world view.

She may be imputing motives to our drive toward success that aren't there. But remember, she is an outsider and must fill in the gaps based upon her world view.

I am not talking about how she sees LDS...I think she has missed the boat totally there, I am talking about the results of her world view. A world full of people driven to succeed out of fear....lots of potential for disaster there. Would like to know the suicide and depression rate among the children of those following her parenting style and how many carry success into their adulthood, have solid marriages, etc.

If you were a true Mormon you would understand your own superiority.

Well, that is a disgusting book written by disgusting people.

I don't think she has ever been to India or Iran. Anyone who has and can imagine they are superior cultures is an incredibly warped individual.

We are superior.  Resistance is futile.  You will be assimilated ... or vanquished. :morg:

I don't think she has ever been to India or Iran. Anyone who has and can imagine they are superior cultures is an incredibly warped individual.

IF you read the article you certainly did NOT understand it. I suggest that you read it again, but for comprehension this time.

I am not talking about how she sees LDS...I think she has missed the boat totally there, I am talking about the results of her world view. A world full of people driven to succeed out of fear....lots of potential for disaster there. Would like to know the suicide and depression rate among the children of those following her parenting style and how many carry success into their adulthood, have solid marriages, etc.

Perhaps the use of the word "fear" in this context is misleading. We Mormons are aware of our imperfections, BUT we are also aware that with diligence we can and will overcome them. (I suppose I must add, "through the atonement of Christ" lest I be accused of something dastardly.)

It is this "fear" (of our imperfections) that drives us toward excellence. It is our "fear" (of displeasing the Lord) that drives us as well.

IF you read the article you certainly did NOT understand it. I suggest that you read it again, but for comprehension this time.

It is hard to misunderstand a bigot going on about how a superiority complex, insecurity, and some moderate impulse control make one superior. Beyond that there is nothing to understand. The woman is mentally warped. I would be more worried if I did understand and could take it seriously.

That was....odd. Strangely I wasn't looking at this from a mormon perspective but having 2 nigerian immigrant parents on one side, raising 2 kids under their roof. I think it actually fit more of what was mentioned in her other article about chinese parents being superior than this assessment. To say that their parenting technique differs from what I grew up with is definitely true. They're more strict than most western parents (though still less strict (ie. crazy) than this lady). And they're also aware that a number of their ideals differ from american values/culture....but it works on the note of achievement. The kids are in private school, get mostly A's (actually I'm not aware of a B between the two of them), play sports, and have started piano. Parenting is extremely hands-on. I'm completely unaware of them having a superiority complex though....I've never heard any mention about comparisons to other african nation groups. Yes to the insecurity. And there's things that neither have wanted to carry over into their household when it comes to discipline and pushing that really is closer to denigration.

But this assumption of "superior" groups, holds to an underlying value structure for what is important. Success = achievement. This value has its merits and its fall out. The way she did it, even though I'd never in a million years pick up the behaviors for my children, did seem to work...at least superficially. For her, having that discipline structure, didn't harm her. And for her daughters it didn't immediately appear to harm them. But it also easily could have and I've known a number of people who feel less than or reactively hate the idealism that leads to this achievement-oriented household.  

Also, though I agree that these groups often have higher achievement rates in the form of income, upward mobility, etc....the reasons that she mentions seem less like grounded theory and more like juxtaposing her ideal system into other groups.

With luv,

BD 

It is hard to misunderstand a bigot going on about how a superiority complex, insecurity, and some moderate impulse control make one superior. Beyond that there is nothing to understand. The woman is mentally warped. I would be more worried if I did understand and could take it seriously.

So, you didn't take my advice and reread the article. I won't waste my time addressing your misrepresentation of what she REALLY said.

Archived