Seriously No Politics ×

Stary Stary Night.

EllenMaksoud

There is so much peace in driving out through the desert, but I have never been out there in the winter. Sometimes I see pictures with snow out in the sage brush and wonder how it got there. We used to go out in the desert to camp. I loved looking up at the stars at night. Sometimes I would lay there under the jewel bright heavens and doze. Once in a while I'd wake up and look at the stars and I would notice that the Milky Way had swiveled a little. I remember that sort of like a time lapse movie. The nights when the moon was gone were the best.

Looking at star charts, names like Rigel, Pavo, and Alnar seemed to be so exotic and attractive. I loved to imagine what it would be like to travel to any one of them. It was before I knew that the universe is so big that it is unlikely that anyone I know, or their relatives will ever get to one.

It would get cold really fast at night and the bugs seemed to hunt me down right away. Maybe I'll do it again next summer, though it is unlikely that I will ever find out where the snow came from. I like my warm bed too much.

Maybe someone who has been to the desert in winter can tell me where the snow comes from?

For the less romantic of us moisture and cold air. For the romanic it is but the fairy dust memories of an old man's dreams of youth, and the passing of another year.

Speak for yourself buster. I am older than you by several years, but my mind is only 17. :)

Speak for yourself buster. I am older than you by several years, but my mind is only 17. :)

I've liked every year better than the previous year. So its passing is a good thing. At about 40 we become comfortable with the whom we have become. At 62 I like my nice warm fire, a good book, and Grandkids to spoil rotten, and then send them home to their parents. ;)

Edited by thesometimesaint

There is so much peace in driving out through the desert, but I have never been out there in the winter. Sometimes I see pictures with snow out in the sage brush and wonder how it got there. We used to go out in the desert to camp. I loved looking up at the stars at night. Sometimes I would lay there under the jewel bright heavens and doze. Once in a while I'd wake up and look at the stars and I would notice that the Milky Way had swiveled a little. I remember that sort of like a time lapse movie. The nights when the moon was gone were the best.

Looking at star charts, names like Rigel, Pavo, and Alnar seemed to be so exotic and attractive. I loved to imagine what it would be like to travel to any one of them. It was before I knew that the universe is so big that it is unlikely that anyone I know, or their relatives will ever get to one.

It would get cold really fast at night and the bugs seemed to hunt me down right away. Maybe I'll do it again next summer, though it is unlikely that I will ever find out where the snow came from. I like my warm bed too much.

Maybe someone who has been to the desert in winter can tell me where the snow comes from?

Stary, Stary, Night is also a great painting by Vincent Van Goe (I am sure I spelled it wrong)which is called "Stary Night".