Seriously No Politics ×

Biographies

Coreyb

So I have read Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling, and Brigham Young: Pioneer Prophet. What is the best biography about John Taylor? I guess I am looking for something similar to the previous two, something that is not blatantly antagonistic, but also not something that is watered down to simply be "faith promoting". Your suggestions would be great!

So I have read Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling, and Brigham Young: Pioneer Prophet. What is the best biography about John Taylor? I guess I am looking for something similar to the previous two, something that is not blatantly antagonistic, but also not something that is watered down to simply be "faith promoting". Your suggestions would be great!

the three that come to my head are the B.H. Roberts one and the Francis M. Gibbons one. The Gibbons once doesn't fit your criteria though. There is one by a grandson or something, Samuel W. Taylor, the name escapes me and I haven't ever read it so I can't vouch for it. All 3 are older however

there is this, it's a very selected biography on him

https://rsc.byu.edu/archived/champion-liberty-john-taylor

Edited by Duncan
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks y'all. somebody should write a good scholarly Bio on him. I don't know a whole lot about him but he seems to be very interesting 

Samuel Taylor's "The John Taylor Papers" is better than the novel he wrote.  Although I can't speak to its objective scholarship.

Edited by JLHPROF

I was reading a little about President Wilford Woodruff today. Please let me know if you start on him. I only know what I read in Wiki on my galaxy during Relief Society. :)  I did not look carefully at his history, was he a polygamist?

I have never read a full biography about him but I have read a lot about him (he is one of my favorites). Yes he was a polygamist, and he was also the President who issued the first Manifesto (Official Declaration 1) officially ending polygamy in the LDS church. He kept meticulous journals so there is a lot about his life on record