Genealogy Surprises

Stone holm

My eldest son called me to wish me Happy Thanksgiving as he rode home from dinner with his cousins. He said his cousin provided him with a little shock. Apparently the new Church genealogy search site lists me as deceased. Been trying to decide whether I missed my own funeral.

My eldest son called me to wish me Happy Thanksgiving as he rode home from dinner with his cousins. He said his cousin provided him with a little shock. Apparently the new Church genealogy search site lists me as deceased. Been trying to decide whether I missed my own funeral.

There is a new site? I wonder what gender I am now?  :)

Now you can echo Mark Twain when he said the report of my death has been greatly exaggerated.

Now you can echo Mark Twain when he said the report of my death has been greatly exaggerated.

Well I went on and marked the thingy to change it from deceased to living which it apparently won't do automatically, you have to get approval to be resurrected, I guess, and it asked me the basis for the change and I put down that last I checked I still had a pulse.

Well I went on and marked the thingy to change it from deceased to living which it apparently won't do automatically, you have to get approval to be resurrected, I guess, and it asked me the basis for the change and I put down that last I checked I still had a pulse.

What do you think the endowment ceremony is for? ;)

What do you think the endowment ceremony is for? ;)

Actually, I was taking a nap today and dreamt that in the per mortal life we were all sitting around our computers waiting for our status to change and likewise in the spirit world...and the rest of Christianity thinks we will be caught up in an eternal choir practice...what a shock is in store.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By RegularMormon
      So I just discovered an ancestor that has been keeping me up at night and trying to discover more about her and her family but I'm afraid it might be too far back to find anything  Basically, if it wasn't for her survival I wouldn't be here today typing this post.  It's such a tragic story and has really moved me and hoping some of you more experienced family search guru's might know a few tricks up your sleeve to help me know where to search further?   Here's the journal article that I discovered:

So Jean McWhirter was married to Hugh McWhorter (bd 1670-1748 IRELAND)  but NO records of who Jean's parents were or more importantly who her material grandparents who I'm trying to find.    To add to my misery there seems to be some confusion on what Jean's maiden name was.   The article above indicates she was a "McWhirter" spelled with an "i" and married Hugh McWhorter which was common. 

Another source 'feels' she was a Gillespie:

I've searched both and coming up with nothing but then again my research tools have only been Familysearch.org and Ancestory.com.  Any other suggestions anyone might give me?  I'd love to restore this family name back, it's such a heartbreaker for me. 

Edited to include where I have more detailed information stored for now:  http://scottishblood.blogspot.com/
    • By Stroopwafel
      One thing that's been on my mind recently is concerning the seeming incongruousness between the Gospels providing Jesus' genealogy (Matt 1:1-16; Luke 3:23-38) to justify his "Davidic" descent, going through Joseph, and the same Gospels clearly stating the doctrine of the virgin birth of Jesus through the Holy Ghost, making him the literal son of God.

My concern is how are we supposed to reconcile the two?

Obviously, it doesn't make sense to have the lineage of David justified through Joseph since the scriptures say he is not the father of Jesus. So why provide two genealogies which, although differing, both make specifically Joseph the descent?

From what I've read, some hold that Luke 3 is actually the genealogy of Mary, pointing to the differences between the two (among those, in Matthew, the father of Joseph is named Jacob, while Luke gives the name of Heli). But why explicitely name Joseph and not Mary?

I've also read that Mary, somehow, is from the tribe of Judah, which would then make Jesus meet the davidic lineage requirement. I say somehow because I cannot find anything to that effect in the scriptures. How is that deduced? Talmage, in Jesus the Christ, doesn't address the genealogical issue I'm raising, but indeed points to Mary's tribe lineage as the sufficient justification for making Jesus of David's lineage.

Could any of you help shed some light on this?
    • By CASteinman
      I have a feeling this is going to be a short and lonely thread.
      Years ago, in an institute manual from the 1970's that had loose leaf pages in a blue binder, there was a brief article from some source that provided some historical reference to an individual and his tribe having left Israel at the 722 conquest and being later (about 300 BC? 300 AD?) found as I recall North of the Black Sea (or Caspian Sea maybe?) The individual was said to be "The King of the Ephraimites" and he was named. I think this might have been a Book of Mormon Institute Manual, but it is an old one and I do not have it any longer.
      I have looked for this reference for years and cannot find it.
      I know that this board may have some people with eclectic and esoteric knowledge. So I am throwing the question out there.
      Does anyone have even a remote clue about anything I have jabbered about above?