Seriously No Politics ×

Is There Such A Thing As Mormon Meditation?

theanthrofox

If so...how would you describe it?

I'm not familiar with "Mormon Meditation," but I used to attend a meditation group with a friend of mine... they talked a lot about universal love, seeking enlightenment, the chalkras(sp), the lotus opening up out of the top of the head IIRC, being one with a higher power, feeling cosmic energy etc... I found it interesting how much discussion focused on a higher being/force etc that no one wanted to actually label God.  Most in attendance had had some past religious teaching growing up.

After discussion, they would play this beautiful music while the facilitator softly took people through the relaxation process... and finally just the music and meditation.

I used the time to pray and commune deeply with Heavenly Father... always my meditation was compatible with my testimony...

GG

http://www.lds.org/manual/young-women-manual-1/lesson-24-prayer-and-meditation?lang=eng

Meditation Is a Form of Prayer
Scripture discussion

Ask the young women to locate and read 1 Timothy 4:15, listed under “How” on their invitations. Ask them to give you their understanding of the term meditate.

Quotation and discussion

Have the assigned young woman read the following statement by President David O. McKay:

“I think we pay too little attention to the value of meditation, a principle of devotion. … Meditation is the language of the soul. It is defined as ‘a form of private devotion or spiritual exercise, consisting in deep, continued reflection on some religious theme.’ Meditation is a form of prayer. …

“Meditation is one of the most secret, most sacred doors through which we pass into the presence of the Lord” (Man May Know for Himself, comp. Clare Middlemiss [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1969], pp. 22–23).

Again briefly discuss the places where Bishop Peterson suggested we go to be alone. Then ask the young women to think about where they would go to meditate.

Scripture discussion

Explain that how and where we pray and meditate are closely related. Have the class members refer to their invitations and locate the scriptures designated “Where.” Read them together and identify where the Lord suggests we go:

Matthew 6:6 (Pray in closet or secret places.)

Alma 34:26 (Pray in closet, secret place, and your wilderness.)

Ask the young women to consider where their own personal “wilderness” could be. Help them determine some areas where they could go individually to meditate.

Scripture discussion

Explain that Heavenly Father has also told us when to pray. Ask the young women to consult their invitations to learn the appropriate time to pray according to the scriptures:

Alma 34:21 (Pray morning, midday, and evening.)

1 Thessalonians 5:17 (Pray without ceasing.)

Emphasize that Heavenly Father is always available and wants us to communicate with him. A righteous life includes a never-ceasing prayer of thanksgiving to the Lord....

After the young women have answered the question, read the following statement from Elder Boyd K. Packer that further clarifies the above question:

“When you have a problem, work it out in your mind first. Ponder on it and analyze it and meditate on it. Read the scriptures. Pray about it. …

“Ponder on things a little each day and don’t always be in the crisis of making major decisions on the spur of the moment. …

“I have learned that the best time to wrestle with major problems is early in the morning. … The blackboard of your mind has been erased by a good night’s rest. The accumulated distractions of the day are not in your way. Your body has been rested also. That’s the time to think something through very carefully and to receive personal revelation” (“Self-reliance,”Ensign, Aug. 1975, p. 88).

Read the link and then decide for yourself.

A small part:

Some of the biggest misconceptions that many non-Muslims have about Islam have to do with the word "Allah". For various reasons, many people have come to believe that Muslims worship a different God than Christians and Jews. This is totally false, since "Allah" is simply the Arabic word for "God" - and there is only One God. Let there be no doubt - Muslims worship the God of Noah, Abraham, Moses, David and Jesus - peace be upon them all. However, it is certainly true that Jews, Christians and Muslims all have different concepts of Almighty God. For example, Muslims - like Jews - reject the Christian beliefs of the Trinity and the Divine Incarnation. This, however, doesn't mean that each of these three religions worships a different God - because, as we have already said, there is only One True God. Judaism, Christianity and Islam all claim to be "Abrahamic Faiths", and all of them are also classified as "monotheistic". However, Islam teaches that other religions have, in one way or another, distorted and nullified a pure and proper belief in Almighty God by neglecting His true teachings and mixing them with man-made ideas

I highly doubt that God looks for the religious label on a prayer before he measures its value.  I know I don't.

God loves a broken heart and a contrite spirit, whether it is Muslim, Mormon, Jewish, Catholic, Protestant, Buddhist (for those who are deist) or any other faith.

Yes, Heavenly Father is 'just' a name as is "Cal".  All our names are just names, they are labels of convenience so we know who we are talking about with each other.  One is not better than another save in how well it conveys the sense of the individual to us.

And yes, I believe if he is intent on seeking out God, he is praying to God.  God hears the prayers of his Children even if for some reason, they don't have all the terminology just so.

okay ill edit that. "Muslims" pray to Allah? and they are praying to God? are they praying to the real God? i.e. Heavenly Father?

If they are praying to a God who calls them to peace; yes. If they are praying to a God that calls them to violence; no. This applies to all who pray, who pray to a God whom they see as a Father.

nice i like all these answers, i like it when things seem spoonful more ....universal. what about rastafarians. once upon a time a rastafarian man was growing something he liked to smoke because he would pray after smoking. and he would be thankful and he would ask heavenly father to bless his next crop. would God answer his prayer?

I have my opinion on this but what I am interested in is your opinion. So you think he is actually praying to God? Then why not be a Muslim? Is Heavenly Father just a name too? Is Mormon prayer better than Muslim prayer?

Prayers of a believing person are strictly non-denominational.  Authority to perfom certain ordinances are not.

nice i like all these answers, i like it when things seem spoonful more ....universal. what about rastafarians. once upon a time a rastafarian man was growing something he liked to smoke because he would pray after smoking. and he would be thankful and he would ask heavenly father to bless his next crop. would God answer his prayer?

As I have noted Prayers of a believing person are strictly non-denominational.  That being said I have no idea in what way or how God chooses to answer prayers.

One thing we do know is that God can look into our hearts and souls... I'm sure when we pray he knows perfectly well whether our prayer is righteous in intent...

GG

okay sure, so Mr Rastafarian does not have the authority to perform certain LDS ordinances? Then Mr LDS does not have the authority to perform special Rastafarian ordinances?

It is up to the Rastafarians to create their own doctrine on who is authorised to perform what ordinance and who isn't. You would have to find out from them what they require.

Okay, so Arabs Pray right? And they think they pray to Allah? Are the actually Praying to God, who they call Allah? Or are they sort of just a bit confused about it all?  what do you guys think?... I don't know, though I am interested in your thoughts on the matter.

Allah is just the Arabic name for God. Christians living in Arabic speaking countries use the word Allah.