Seriously No Politics ×

This Is Very Sad: Does Anyone Have More Info? (Suicide In Vegas)

NEDRA

I do have a certain amount of sympathy for this man, and certainly for the family, friends, and associates he left behind.  That said, I wonder why poking the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the eye while he made his exit from this life was on the agenda.  I wonder if he left a note.  Hey, I've pondered "The Final, Non-Solution 'Solution'."  Where would I do it, if I were so inclined?  On the steps of the University of Utah's Park Building, perhaps, after having sent pointed notes to a couple of University officials to protest my seemingly Eternal Un- and Underemployment, despite my receipt of a(n) (very costly!) advanced degree from that institution?

Hope springs eternal, I suppose.

I don't get the impression he was trying to "poke the church in the eye." If anything, his final actions suggest he was looking for comfort: choosing the temple, asking for scriptures, reading the Book ofMormon.

Unfortunately, as I unserstand, a group of young people was in the vicinity and witnessed the suicide.

I don't get the impression he was trying to "poke the church in the eye." If anything, his final actions suggest he was looking for comfort: choosing the temple, asking for scriptures, reading the Book ofMormon.

Unfortunately, as I unserstand, a group of young people was in the vicinity and witnessed the suicide.

I don't know for sure but they may not have known what was going on until it was too late

Where are you getting your information that he asked for scriptures and read the book of mormon?

Update:  He's now in the world of spirits and very much regrets his decision to end his life here.  If he had known then what he knows now... but, oh well.  We all live and learn.

innapropriate comment in my opinion. dont use a death to push your religious views. and saying someone "lives and learns" in the case of a death is beyond tasteless.

For all you know, when we die, we will find out the muslims are right.

Update:  He's now in the world of spirits and very much regrets his decision to end his life here.  If he had known then what he knows now... but, oh well.  We all live and learn.

Respectfully, I would suggest that you leave judgment in the hands of one who is Omniscient.  As much as I respect you, you don't qualify.

Thanks for the clarification, and the fact that the suicide apparently was witnessed is unfortunate indeed.

Sadly, this story may get ugly and national attention if the media picks up on a few things. I hope they don't.

What things might they pick up on?

This young man's father, Jay Bybee, was a Bush Administration Justice Department official prior to being nominated for and confirmed to the federal judiciary.  He had a hand in some decisions with respect to the Bush Administration's response to 9/11 with which many people disagree.

innapropriate comment in my opinion. dont use a death to push your religious views. and saying someone "lives and learns" in the case of a death is beyond tasteless.

For all you know, when we die, we will find out the muslims are right.

As to the Mormon position on suicide, what I have seen is that they are characteristically compassionate about it. No one knows what Heavenly Father will do, but I do not think it will be punishment.

http://www.lds.org/ensign/1987/10/suicide-some-things-we-know-and-some-we-do-not

Muslim thought on the issue lacks much compassion.

http://www.gainpeace.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=116:what-is-the-islamic-view-on-suicide-qmercyq-killings-and-abortion&catid=54&Itemid=116

What struck me most were the haters who immediately came out of the woodwork (in comments on the LV Sun story) and began saying horrible things about the LDS Church.  Do they do this same sort of awful tirade when a Roman Catholic commits suicide at a Cathedral, or a Jewish person does so at a synagogue, etc.?  Even Steve Benson joined in the chorus of haters.

Scott Bybee from Henderson, Nevada.  My daughter had just arrived to do Baptisms for the dead.  They saw the 26 year old walking around in the parking lot, heard a noise then saw him fall.  This could have been much more tragic.  Sadly there was no security in the area.

Had there been security in that area, and had approached young Bybee, the security guy would likely have been shot too.

Scott Bybee from Henderson, Nevada.  My daughter had just arrived to do Baptisms for the dead.  They saw the 26 year old walking around in the parking lot, heard a noise then saw him fall.  This could have been much more tragic.  Sadly there was no security in the area.

I hope your daughter and her friends are doing all right. Suicides have such a far reaching impact in so many cases, not just the person involved. It can be very hard for those who have never experienced something close to that level of despair to even begin to understand and that makes it hard to come to terms with it in one's life.

I hope your daughter and her friends are doing all right. Suicides have such a far reaching impact in so many cases, not just the person involved. It can be very hard for those who have never experienced something close to that level of despair to even begin to understand and that makes it hard to come to terms with it in one's life.

The Bishop called several times tonight, they have set up a church services for this sunday for the young women to meet and get help, apparently several have been affected and couldn't sleep lastnight!  Thank you for your thoughts!

How awful.  :(  When I was a senior in high school, my friend's mom called panicking because her husband had shot himself and my friend ran away because she was freaking out.  My mom and I went out to look for her and stopped by the house to see if she had returned.  She was back and the scene was absolutely horrible.  I can't imagine going to the temple and witnessing something like that. 

Archived