Cub Scouts

1st thing is to start a myscouting.org account so that you can get the first sections of your training done (Youth Protection, which is required before you can even fill out the paperwork, and position specific training, Den Leader in your case.)  2nd thing is to figure out who in the ward is in charge of Scouting paperwork and make sure they do it.  If they haven't after a week or so you might have to track down the Scouting office and fill it all out yourself.  Make sure to have a printed copy of your Youth Protection Training certificate when you do that, it has to be attached to the application.

Katherine's right about running a tight ship, you'll want to be well prepared for your activities.  Make sure that they're a mix of learning and fun.  Doesn't always have to be something physically active, but still try to integrate some sort of game or something fun.  If you're not sure what you want to do, Scouting has a theme for each month, and that's a good starting point for lessons/activities if you're at a loss.

Out of curiosity, which group did you get called to, Wolves, Bears, or Webelos?

Make sure you have enough assistants if you have a large group, someone to keep an eye on the boys and grab needed things while you (or they if you take turns) keep the boys' attention focused.

Edited by calmoriah

See if you can't take the basic training course. If there is a good role model in Scout troop, you might consider recruiting a Den Chief.

So I was just called to be a Den leader in the cub scouting program. I havent been in cub scouts since I was a child. Any advice?

Get trained, and try to earn your Den Leader award:

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/square-knots.asp#denleader

Den Leader Award knotdenleader.jpg

Description: gold on gold knot on blue field with blue border.

Award Requirements:

Tenure: Complete one year as a registered den leader in the position selected. Tiger Cub den leader’s tenure can be the program year as long as it is greater than eight months.

Training:

• Complete the basic training for the selected den leader position.
  • Complete This Is Scouting training.
  • Attend a pow wow or university of Scouting (or equivalent), or attend at least four roundtables (or equivalent) during the tenure used for this award.

Performance:

Do five of the following during the tenure used for this award:

• Have an assistant den leader who meets regularly with your den.
  • Have a den chief who meets regularly with your den.
  • Graduate at least 70 percent of your den to the next level.
  • Take leadership in planning and conducting a den service project.
  • Have a published den meeting/activity schedule for the den’s parents.
  • Participate with your den in a Cub Scout day camp or resident camp.
  • Complete Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO).
  • Complete Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders.
  • Participate with your den in at least one family camp; if your den is a Webelos den, participate with your den in at least two overnight camps.
  • Take leadership in planning two den outdoor activities.
  • Hold monthly den meeting and den activity planning sessions with your assistant den leaders.

Keep track of your progress in earning the Den Leader Award with this progress record document.

It's not the award that's important, of course, but it will help keep you focused on the program and what you should be doing.

Get trained, and try to earn your Den Leader award:

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/square-knots.asp#denleader

It's not the award that's important, of course, but it will help keep you focused on the program and what you should be doing.

Very good advice, if you want a strong den and a strong Pack, training and enthusiasm are the key. My wife and I lived and breathed Cub Scouts and then Boy Scouts, and it was probably the best parent training I ever received and it was a tremendous benefit to our sons. We probably over did it a little because I went to Cub Scout Woodbadge and both of us went to camp school. But we had a very lively and vigorous Pack.

1st thing is to start a myscouting.org account so that you can get the first sections of your training done (Youth Protection, which is required before you can even fill out the paperwork, and position specific training, Den Leader in your case.)  2nd thing is to figure out who in the ward is in charge of Scouting paperwork and make sure they do it.  If they haven't after a week or so you might have to track down the Scouting office and fill it all out yourself.  Make sure to have a printed copy of your Youth Protection Training certificate when you do that, it has to be attached to the application.

Katherine's right about running a tight ship, you'll want to be well prepared for your activities.  Make sure that they're a mix of learning and fun.  Doesn't always have to be something physically active, but still try to integrate some sort of game or something fun.  If you're not sure what you want to do, Scouting has a theme for each month, and that's a good starting point for lessons/activities if you're at a loss.

Out of curiosity, which group did you get called to, Wolves, Bears, or Webelos?

We've kind of got a blended group and we are basically rebuiding the scouting program for the cubs. I am supposed to be focusing on bears.

We've kind of got a blended group and we are basically rebuiding the scouting program for the cubs. I am supposed to be focusing on bears.

They are a great age. My wife was a bear den leader, while I had Webelos and was eventually Cubmaster. Get all the training you can get and by all means be innovating. There is an adult scouting award that the Church gives out that has certain requirements...while it is fun to receive the award doing what it takes to earn it is what is important. We also tried to make sure each cub earned the cub religious award, including non members of other faiths...we tried to make sure they earned the one of their faith.

An adult scouting award the church gives out? I thought scouting awards came from the council. Like I said it's been a while.

Im very much looking forward to it. Ive been thinking of asking my wife if she wants to help me.

https://www.lds.org/callings/aaronic-priesthood/leader-resources/scouting/on-my-honor/adult-recognition

105286_On-My-Honor_st.jpg

You wear this knot if you earn it:

religadult.gif