Seriously No Politics ×

Burn Mormons?

Hate seldom does harm to the object of one's hatred which is equal to or greater than the harm it does to he, himself, who hates. In fact, far from it.  I hope, somehow, that the perpetrator(s) of these acts find(s) peace.

Hate seldom does harm to the object of one's hatred which is equal to or greater than the harm it does to he, himself, who hates. In fact, far from it.  I hope, somehow, that the perpetrator(s) of these acts find(s) peace.

These

http://www.kpvi.com/mostpopular/story/Police-Vandalism-Technically-a-Hate-Crime-Still/FFZIy63vP0OOx7zuNICZqQ.cspx

i hope whatever is causing these people to be so angry will cease and they will be touched by the spirit and repent.

These vandals might very likely be non-LDS believers in Christ; and if they are, they seem to lack the faith to believe the Almighty God is capable of dealing with "apostates" on His own terms and in His own way without becoming devilish practitioners of the very things they claim so mightily to hate.  

These

These vandals might very likely be non-LDS believers in Christ; and if they are, they seem to lack the faith to believe the Almighty God is capable of dealing with "apostates" on His own terms and in His own way without becoming devilish practitioners of the very things they claim so mightily to hate.  

They also might be disgruntled Aaronic priesthood with an axe to grind and low self-esteem.  Vandalism of schools and other community bldgs is frequently by the neighborhood kids that use them.  Jail won't do much good (including juvenile lockup), and most judges require counseling and community service.  These are very troubled youth who will likely outgrow their crazy behavior if properly counseled and supervised.

They also might be disgruntled Aaronic priesthood with an axe to grind and low self-esteem.  Vandalism of schools and other community bldgs is frequently by the neighborhood kids that use them.  Jail won't do much good (including juvenile lockup), and most judges require counseling and community service.  These are very troubled youth who will likely outgrow their crazy behavior if properly counseled and supervised.

Good points. The thing that causes me to think there might be a connection to some Christian group were the images of the cross painted on the building. It might be their way of saying, "So you don't respect and honor the image of the cross? Well then we'll paint that symbol on your building whether you like it or not!" Come to think of it, the perpetrators could be young Christian kids as well. But I must say, the likelihood of the vandals being some Aaronic Priesthood kids who attend church in that building seems remote. Remote, that is, unless there's some deeply trouble family or families who attend church there. 

• 4 weeks later...

In all honesty, I'm a little surprised this made the headlines.  I live in this area and I am two houses from a church building in a heavily LDS neighborhood.  Just at my ward building and stake center in the last couple years we've had windows shot out with a rifle, three cases of spray painting on the bricks, one egging, and two members violently attacked when they asked trespassers to please move on. (I was one of the two :) ).  I have a hard time believing these are rare occurrences just given my ward's experience with this.

I know our stake tries to handle these things quietly.  I think it is pretty cool how the church doesn't generally try to get publicity out of many of these situations.  Makes me less sympathetic toward those who claim that we have a persecution complex.

• 2 weeks later...

Or maybe the church has class ;)

I believe that in most cases "class" and practicality can go hand and hand.

Unnecessary complications are usually added IMO as part of a desire to get attention (as in look at me and what a new and different idea I have, I am going to solve the world's problems....as opposed to those who just get on with the work).

Archived