Seriously No Politics ×

Lds Church To Own 2% Of Florida

cdowis

The Mormon church stands to own nearly 2 percent of Florida by completing a deal to buy most of the real estate of the St. Joe Co. for more than a half-billion dollars.

The megapurchase was announced jointly Thursday by a corporate representative of church, which owns the nearly 295,000-acre Deseret Ranches in Central Florida, and by the real-estate and timber business, which has built several communities along the Panhandle coast.

According to the announcement, a church entity, AgReserves Inc., will buy 382,834 acres – the majority of St. Joe's timberlands – in Bay, Calhoun, Franklin, Gadsden, Gulf, Jefferson, Leon, Liberty and Wakulla counties for $565 million.

Completion of the deal will leave the Utah-based church with 678,000 acres, an area larger than any other private holding in Florida, according to widely shared but unconfirmed rankings of top landowners.

AgReserves Inc., a taxpaying company of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, will maintain timber and agricultural uses of the Panhandle acreage, according to the announcement.

"AgReserves has demonstrated its commitment to wise land stewardship and prudent resource management during more than 60 years of ranching and agricultural operations in east central Florida," said Paul Genho, chairman of AgReserves. "We will apply that same commitment and expertise to managing the property we are acquiring in Florida's panhandle."

Owned by the church for nearly 60 years, Deseret Ranches sprawls across Orange, Osceola and Brevard counties and is increasingly seen as critical to the Orlando region's water supply, road and rail network and future development.

Commissioner of Agriculture Adam Putnam praised the announced deal as long-term investment in the state's timber and cattle business.

"This transaction between two of Florida's largest and most committed land stewards is a meaningful reminder of the economic and ecological value of agriculture in our state," Putnam said.

Charles Pattison, president of the smart-planning group 1000 Friends of Florida, said there has been little pressure for development of the St. Joe timberlands, which are well away from the Panhandle coast.

But Pattison said no other metropolitan area in the state borders such a huge and potentially developable piece of property as Deseret Ranches, which covers a largely roadless and unpopulated area southeast of Orlando.

Last week, Gov. Rick Scott signed an executive order that created the East Central Florida Corridor Task Force to plan for roads, development and environmental protection in an area dominated by Deseret Ranches.

"It is more important than ever that we work together to plan our future," said ranch manager Erik Jacobsen in response to the task force formation. "We look forward to collaborating with leaders from the state and Brevard, Orange and Osceola counties."

With 44,000 head of cattle, the ranch property also is one of the nation's largest producers of calves and manages thousands of acres of citrus groves, vegetable farms and timberlands.

Orlando, Orange County and state water authorities have been planning for years to accommodate growing populations by pumping water from Taylor Creek Reservoir within ranch boundaries.

A St. Joe Co. official said the sale will help the company, to be left with 184,000 acres after the sale, focus on its real-estate development.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-mormon-deseret-huge-land-deal-20131107,0,697936.story

Thanks for that news item, cdowis.

It would be interesting to know the extent to which this land purchase in the panhandle is well above sea level.  The remainder of Florida is so low now that by 2050, when most models show a 2 foot rise in ocean levels, the major cities, such as Miami, will be subject to constant ocean surges and beach erosion.  Since the panhandle of Florida is mostly well above sea level, the Church may not have to worry about the gators and swampland taking over its investment.

It would be interesting to know the extent to which this land purchase in the panhandle is well above sea level.  The remainder of Florida is so low now that by 2050, when most models show a 2 foot rise in ocean levels, the major cities, such as Miami, will be subject to constant ocean surges and beach erosion.  Since the panhandle of Florida is mostly well above sea level, the Church may not have to worry about the gators and swampland taking over its investment.

Depends on how you define well above. I live at about 1/2 mile in elevation above sea level.

As for the panhandle of Florida: http://www.cakex.org/case-studies/2788

Depends on how you define well above. I live at about 1/2 mile in elevation above sea level.

As for the panhandle of Florida: http://www.cakex.org/case-studies/2788

Anyone at your level is relatively safe.  However, just for illustration, the Norfolk Naval Yard in Virginia is now at sea level, and cannot be sustained or fixed.  A completely new naval base will have to be established elsewhere, and the expense will be enormous.

Anyone at your level is relatively safe.  However, just for illustration, the Norfolk Naval Yard in Virginia is now at sea level, and cannot be sustained or fixed.  A completely new naval base will have to be established elsewhere, and the expense will be enormous.

True. ALL of our Naval Yards are at sea level. So even a raise of several inches will be catastrophic not only to our military but to our major cities as well.

Washington County, Florida has the highest point in the state; Washington County is adjacent to Jackson County and Calhoun County. Bay County has the Panama City Beach and all of that coast line, but St. Joe's land is back off the coast. The area is not highly populated - Liberty County, in particular, is mostly forest lands. There is a lot of wildlife there; plenty of gators. In Bristol, Liberty County, the LDS Church is the biggest Church in town.

These counties are well know to me; family relatives throughout and I grew up there. Interesting purchase.

True. ALL of our Naval Yards are at sea level. So even a raise of several inches will be catastrophic not only to our military but to our major cities as well.

Actually most of our naval yards are above sea level.  You obviously haven't seen Norfolk lately.  At many of our navy bases and ports engineering can delay the inevitable, but Norfolk is basically finished.  Although floating docks may be helpful, by 2100 at the latest, virtually all ports worldwide will have to be fully replaced on higher ground.

Actually most of our naval yards are above sea level.  You obviously haven't seen Norfolk lately.  At many of our navy bases and ports engineering can delay the inevitable, but Norfolk is basically finished.  Although floating docks may be helpful, by 2100 at the latest, virtually all ports worldwide will have to be fully replaced on higher ground.

I was there in the1960's and my sister lived there until just a few years ago. I don't know what we're going to do. We can't move whole cities, and building walls around all our coasts is problematic at best.

I was there in the1960's and my sister lived there until just a few years ago. I don't know what we're going to do. We can't move whole cities, and building walls around all our coasts is problematic at best.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

That cannot be as Georgia is Zion the higher kingdom.

Yep, I'm out of here. Missouri was already a colossal embarrassment.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

"And the heavens departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places."

Nope, it is more like the whole thing is going to go up and fly away.

The SKY IS RISING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Could this have been what Joseph Smith was referring to when he supposedly said that many of the coastal areas would "fall into the sea?"  I'v never seen anything to indicate he did, but this is interesting nonetheless.

Edit: Looking at antarctica, we could always migrate there.  ;)  The new zion?

Could this have been what Joseph Smith was referring to when he supposedly said that many of the coastal areas would "fall into the sea?"  I'v never seen anything to indicate he did, but this is interesting nonetheless.

Edit: Looking at antarctica, we could always migrate there.   ;)  The new zion?

I've turned into a regular hothouse flower. If it's below 75 degrees F, I'm cold.

Archived