Seriously No Politics ×

Transgender Woman Seeks Lds Church Recognition

JAHS

I know there's a discussion about this in the General Discussion board, but here is a related news article on this. Apparently the sex of this person was in question when he/she was born and doctors forced her to develop as a male through hormone therapy. Now later in life he/she feels it was the wrong choice and wants the church to recognize her as a female now.

http://www.kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_7962.shtml

And why the need to involve the media at this stage?

I can see once it is resolved one way or the other with the permission of one's leaders (since it is only polite not to bring public attention unless someone is okay with it in most situations, I believe) for the purpose of education of one's community but doing it now appears to be for the purpose of putting pressure on the Church or because one wants attention.

I'm going to venture to say a lot of people don't even know she might be ex'd for getting the sex change. She might be kicking against the pricks but she is paving the way for those that come after her. For anyone to have such a drastic surgery as that, there is a good reason, IMO.

I'm going to venture to say a lot of people don't even know she might be ex'd for getting the sex change. She might be kicking against the pricks but she is paving the way for those that come after her. For anyone to have such a drastic surgery as that, there is a good reason, IMO.

A strong reason certainly, maybe even a good reason...but maybe not.  There are plenty of people who undergo extensive plastic surgery because they believe in their heart of hearts they are ugly when they are not.  Just because someone is wiling to take drastic measures that we find extreme, doesn't mean those measures are either necessary or reasonable.  They may be...but imo when undergoing somethng that cannot be undone, one should try everything else first and sometmes the best thing to do is nothing.  We don't know the details in this case and therefore should be refraining from judgment of choices save for what we do know...that this individual is speaking to the press about what she wants to happen before approaching church leadership to ask them.

And why the need to involve the media at this stage?

I can see once it is resolved one way or the other with the permission of one's leaders (since it is only polite not to bring public attention unless someone is okay with it in most situations, I believe) for the purpose of education of one's community but doing it now appears to be for the purpose of putting pressure on the Church or because one wants attention.

Also the Church Handbook addresses this issue already.

Archived