Seriously No Politics ×

Patriarchal Blessings Rule

I have an opposite reaction to mine! somethings I can see others are out there and I have no idea what it is or was supposed to have meant, I have kind of given up on it and just living life without expectations or anticipation in terms of spirituality and promises. Just do what you know is true and come what may

I always thought mine was specific and unique, until I shared some of the specifics with my stake president's son. He showed me that his blessing was almost word for word in those specifics as mine. I later found out that two more friends had the same words in theirs. Same patriarch, same blessing, more or less. Kind of disappointing.

Well I assume the same patriarch says a lot of similar things for the people he does, but there are definitely points where it just feels like he knows me.

do you think those same phrases can mean different things to different people?

I have an opposite reaction to mine! somethings I can see others are out there and I have no idea what it is or was supposed to have meant, I have kind of given up on it and just living life without expectations or anticipation in terms of spirituality and promises. Just do what you know is true and come what may

I had a not so good experience due to the presence of a relative who felt the need to interpret the blessing afterwards in a way that I found inappropriate, I have emotional baggage with her as well I won't go into that colours the experience.  I need to grow up and remove the experience surrounding the blessing from the blessing itself, but I am currently childish enough not to be able to do so.

I really love my blessing...  I was 14 when I received it from a patriarch who really didn't know me... it contained some very specific things that when I was an adult I could look back and say... ah ha...

I ignored my blessing for many years, but when I reactivated 17 years ago I prayed that my blessing would be restored to me as much as possible... some of my choices in life precluded some things, but then that's agency isn't it... and blessings are predicated on our faith...

Through the years in my callings I can see my blessing... in my relationships with my sisters I can see my blessing... so now I'm living for the final blessings which have very specific wording and conditions.  I love that Heavenly Father knew me so well that he tried to counsel me in my blessing, and I just stumbled into the pitfalls... but his love was always there for me and when I offered a broken heart and contrite spirit, and went through my repentance, my blessing flowed forth to me 42 years after it was first given.. 

GG

I always thought mine was specific and unique, until I shared some of the specifics with my stake president's son. He showed me that his blessing was almost word for word in those specifics as mine. I later found out that two more friends had the same words in theirs. Same patriarch, same blessing, more or less. Kind of disappointing.

My wife and I are from the same stake, and she was quite surprised at how similar our blessings are. 

I just look at it as proof that we are meant to be together.  :give_rose:

I love my PB. I got it at 14 at a time when I was starting to clean myself up and get my head on straight. Receiving it is still one my most spiritual experiences of my life. Having it afterwards was an anchor during my family problems as a teen and one that the Spirit would use from time to time in my adulthood to allow me to know that I was where I needed to be. It is very specific (I know that's stated a lot, but it is....you'll just have to trust me on that ;) ) and from a complete stranger who only knew that I prefer to go by a nickname in a stake that I'd barely moved into from across the country. 

I had somewhat the opposite experience. I had a cousin that I'm very close to....we just "get" each other, have similar ideals, etc, and had shared some good spiritual discussions. So I decided that I would want her to read my PB. When we finally traded, I realized hers was like a reader's digest version of mine (minus a few differences). We'd received them in different times and places. Instead of it being disappointing, it was affirming to us that God knew our souls and we were just as close as we always assumed that we were. I've also read my mother's right after I got mine. I don't remember a lot of it, but what did stick out to me immediately was that it was very different from my own. Not necessarily in the actual blessings, but in the wording of such. Her's had a ton of if-then type statements. Mine has none. 

That stated, it doesn't have to be absolutely "unique" in actual phrasing for it to be unique to you, nor does it disqualify the power of a PB. We once had a patriarch in the ward my companion and I were serving in. They were a spiritually beautiful couple and they had us over for dinner once. My companion was antsy for me to go see their one room in the house. Their house was clean and lovely, and this room was just the same. If anything it looked more generic. But I stood in the room and the spirit was like that in the temple and I knew, without being told, that sacred things happened in this space. They'd designated a room of their house just for the blessings to be given. We had a lesson which we took out our notebooks to learn a little from them, then left. I learned a lot from them both about blessings and the spirit. Both of them helped us better understand our own. 

With luv,

BD

I had a not so good experience due to the presence of a relative who felt the need to interpret the blessing afterwards in a way that I found inappropriate, I have emotional baggage with her as well I won't go into that colours the experience.  I need to grow up and remove the experience surrounding the blessing from the blessing itself, but I am currently childish enough not to be able to do so.

Isn't this blessing supposed to be a private matter only

between yourself and the patriarch?

Gail

Gail

It's fairly common to bring a relative or someone that you feel close to, to receive the blessing.

Gail

Yes, generally speaking.  But why would you not share it with your parents, or your spouse?  Or a beloved friend or relative?  It is true that it is not a matter to be splashed out in the public, but it is also not "Top Secret".

All I know is a man I barely knew at the time (Ive come to know him well since) laid his hands on my head and told me things about myself that even I didn't fully realize at the time. And it promised me choice blessings I want before I knew I wanted them. So I am happy to have mine. And I hope I live worthy of it.

I'm very grateful for mine.  When I was seriously ill, it was my blessing that helped me to know that I would live because it specifically talked about something that would happen in this life.  It's been harder to read though since my patriarch and his wife were murdered less than a year ago.  :(