North Carolina Church Plans Halloween Bible Burning

Nathair/|\

Sigh...

1 John 5:7-8 is one example of the errancy and imperfection found in the KJV.

"One passage not included by Erasmus caused a great storm of controversy. That passage was the so-called Trinitarian passage, which in the King James Version reads, "in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost. And these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth" (found in 1 John 5:7- 8)

The exclusion of these words from Erasmus' text was not from carelessness or haste, but was based on solid evidence: these words were not in the Greek manuscripts that Erasmus had used for his text; indeed, they were not found in any Greek text Erasmus had ever seen. When asked why he had deleted this proof text for the trinity, he replied that he didn't find it at all in the Greek manuscripts. The combination of accusations of Arianism, with Erasmus' thin-skinned sensitivity to criticism, caused him to rashly vow that if any Greek manuscript could be found to include the words in question, he would add them to his text. A manuscript was duly manufactured in Britain to suit the conditions of Erasmus' vow, so in his third edition (1522), Erasmus added the words to his text, but added a marginal note declaring his belief that the manuscript had been deliberately doctored."

There is a body of work that can seem pretty compelling from the perspective of the KJV only crowd. If you thought other translations were Satanic, would not burning be a good option? I have thrown my own Bibles and other religious books in the garbage when I no longer wanted them or thought they taught false doctrines. I don't see much practical difference.

The whole book burning idea is repugnant. It is one thing not to agree with the ideas presented in a book and destroying that book to satisfy some nonsensical hatred for those ideas is another. Sell the book online, to a bookstore that deals in used books, give it away to friends(or enemies). Even write a review of that book. Better yet write your own book telling of your ideas.

Why would one want to perpetuate the teaching of false ideas by giving the book away, TSS?

Burning books is more about making a public statement than disposing of them properly in most cases.  I have no issue with anyone throwing away a book they think is trash or misleading.  I've done the same myself.

The whole book burning idea is repugnant. It is one thing not to agree with the ideas presented in a book and destroying that book to satisfy some nonsensical hatred for those ideas is another. Sell the book online, to a bookstore that deals in used books, give it away to friends(or enemies). Even write a review of that book. Better yet write your own book telling of your ideas.

Ah, a respecter of books we have, my young jedi. 

There is a body of work that can seem pretty compelling from the perspective of the KJV only crowd. If you thought other translations were Satanic, would not burning be a good option? I have thrown my own Bibles and other religious books in the garbage when I no longer wanted them or thought they taught false doctrines. I don't see much practical difference.

Considering the types of groups who have historically embraced book burning, I wouldn't think that any Christian church would want to lump themselves in with them.

On a different note, burning a book you don't like sends the message that any idea you disagree with should be annielated from the earth. Even God, who unlike us is actually able to discern such things, does not operate in such a way.

:)

Why would one want to perpetuate the teaching of false ideas by giving the book away, TSS?

Burning books is more about making a public statement than disposing of them properly in most cases.  I have no issue with anyone throwing away a book they think is trash or misleading.  I've done the same myself.

I've read the significant parts of the Koran. I don't agree with it. I gave it to a Musllm friend.

This is sure a good way to win friends and influence people.

The solution to bad speech isn't less speech but more good speech.

Considering the types of groups who have historically embraced book burning, I wouldn't think that any Christian church would want to lump themselves in with them.

On a different note, burning a book you don't like sends the message that any idea you disagree with should be annielated from the earth. Even God, who unlike us is actually able to discern such things, does not operate in such a way.

"Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver. So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed."

-Acts 19:19-20

"Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver. So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed."

-Acts 19:19-20

I'm guessing that this is the scripture that gives Christian churches the idea that burning books is great.  

I think it might be a stretch though for people to infer that God was behind the book burning.  Well meaning people do all sorts of things, especially when they are excited about something, that aren't very great ideas.  :D

Hi bluebell,

I was trying to say that if one thinks a book is Satanic, it seems reasonable to destroy it.

I don't see that it follows that burning evil books means that you think "any idea you disagree with should be annihilated from the earth." In any event, there is a biblical precedent for the activity. I am thinking that we could argue to them that non-King James Bibles are okay. I just don't think we can say that it is always wrong in principle to burn or otherwise destroy books.  

You say God does not operate in such a way? But the word of God was confirmed and grew mightily, while the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified according to the author of the Book of Acts, in association with a big public book burning which took place in Ephesus:

And many of them who had followed curious arts, brought together their books, and burnt them before all; and counting the price of them, they found the money to be fifty thousand pieces of silver.

---Acts 19:19

Take a peek at verses 18 and 20. It seems real difficult to me to get away from the idea that the activity in verse 19 was approved of by not only God's Apostle but by God Himself.

Thanks for your consideration,

3DOP 

I'm guessing that this is the scripture that gives Christian churches the idea that burning books is great.  

I think it might be a stretch though for people to infer that God was behind the book burning.  Well meaning people do all sorts of things, especially when they are excited about something, that aren't very great ideas.  :D

I see now that someone else already appealed to Acts 19.

"Burning books is great"? Where do you get that Bluebell? Nobody is saying that. Why the exaggeration? They have to be evil. It sounds like you disapprove of the burning of evil books in Acts 19. Look at the context. How often does it happen that "well meaning people doing all sorts of things" "that aren't very great ideas", are associated in Scripture with the magnification of the name of the Lord Jesus? It seems so incongruous unless what was being done was praiseworthy. Why after speaking of how the fear of the Lord fell on the people, while they came and confessed their sins magnifying the name of the Lord, would the author proceed to cite some event that is scandalous or just a "not very great idea"? Is that really how you see it? It just seems so much easier to admit that under certain circumstances such public displays are acceptable. That doesn't mean you or I or anybody else here has to approve of what they are supposed to be planning in this one church in North Carolina.

3DOP

I see now that someone else already appealed to Acts 19.

"Burning books is great"? Where do you get that Bluebell? Nobody is saying that. Why the exaggeration? They have to be evil. It sounds like you disapprove of the burning of evil books in Acts 19. Look at the context. How often does it happen that "well meaning people doing all sorts of things" "that aren't very great ideas", are associated in Scripture with the magnification of the name of the Lord Jesus? It seems so incongruous unless what was being done was praiseworthy. Why after speaking of how the fear of the Lord fell on the people, while they came and confessed their sins magnifying the name of the Lord, would the author proceed to cite some event that is scandalous or just a "not very great idea"? Is that really how you see it? It just seems so much easier to admit that under certain circumstances such public displays are acceptable. That doesn't mean you or I or anybody else here has to approve of what they are supposed to be planning in this one church in North Carolina.

3DOP

I don't believe there is ever a circumstance where burning books should be lauded, supported, or accepted and here's why:

Who gets to decide something is evil?

When people burn a book, they aren't saying "this book IS evil." They are saying "it is my OPINION that this book is evil".

The problem with that is that people are wrong about that all the time. People have routinely throughout history burnt books that were of God, or supported His cause, or taught absolutely nothing harmful, under the banner if "this is evil!"

There is a whole group of people in the US who truly and sincerely believe that Harry potter and Disney characters are evil. The KKK and neo nazis have burned 'evil' books that supported the equality of the races. The Nazis burned 'evil' books that disagreed with their beliefs. Other nonChristian groups have burned 'evil' bibles for teaching about Christ. All these groups burn these books to make a statement to the world, and not simple to get rid of them.

Since there is no way to prove when a book actually is evil or not, one must either support every groups right to burn or destroy whatever they personally believe is evil, or one must be against book burning under any circumstances.

Because I think book burning causes more harm to brotherly love and unity and the Christian cause in the world, than it ever actually saves the world from evil, I'm against it, especially as a form of protest.

If someone wanted to burn a book privately without an audience or publicity, that would be a different story. But again, we know that the groups who burn books have a larger agenda than just getting rid of them. When we support book burning on that scale, we support the agenda along with the idea of removing 'evil'.

I'm under the assumption that the world would be a better place if no one supported such agendas.

It especially concerns me when otherwise good people support agendas like those or view them as acceptable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/6346662/North-Carolina-church-plans-Halloween-Bible-burning.html

A NC church will be burning non-KJV bibles on the grounds that they are Satanic, that the KJV is the only inerrant and acceptable translation.

I have known many KJV Bible types...they are hard to deal with. Burning Bibles, I fear for this congregation.

Archived