Seriously No Politics ×

Shaving My Head.

Not prohibition.  Recommendation to use conservative hair styles.   (Our stake pres wife, who lost it during cancer treatment has shaved hair for the moment.  I'm thinking there are exceptions.)  

Before you do this, ask in your ward if there is a stylist who likes challenges.  If you can match up with a stylist who is really good, you'll not worry about your hair again.

Not prohibition.  Recommendation to use conservative hair styles.   (Our stake pres wife, who lost it during cancer treatment has shaved hair for the moment.  I'm thinking there are exceptions.)  

Before you do this, ask in your ward if there is a stylist who likes challenges.  If you can match up with a stylist who is really good, you'll not worry about your hair again.

I lost about half my hair when I was ill, (Not cancer) so I wear a little hair piece that gets to be really annoying.  I was going to, and had permission, to return to my Hijab, which is no effort at all, but then I found out that the Missionaries that run the Bishop's store house, where I work two days a week, have a daughter that went on a Mission and came home and married a RM who was abusive, and made fun of the church, and all sorts of things. It was she who converted to Islam.

Edited by EllenMaksoud

I lost about half my hair when I was ill, (Not cancer) so I wear a little hair piece that gets to be really annoying.  I was going to, and had permission, to return to my Hijab, which is no effort at all, but then I found out that the Missionaries that run the Bishop's store house, where I work two days a week, went on a Mission and came home and converted to Islam. I just can't do that to them. :(

Most time challenges overcome bring blessings. Keep your chin up and accept that this is not a part of yourself that you appreciate.

A conversion to Islam from the LDS Church is hard for me to understand. You know hoe much I appreciate Islam and the many truths and beautiful things it teaches, but to leave Christ remains shocking change to me. I can only think this young man never knew or understood who the Savior is.

Most time challenges overcome bring blessings. Keep your chin up and accept that this is not a part of yourself that you appreciate.

A conversion to Islam from the LDS Church is hard for me to understand. You know hoe much I appreciate Islam and the many truths and beautiful things it teaches, but to leave Christ remains shocking change to me. I can only think this young man never knew or understood who the Savior is.

OOPs, I got it wrong. The couple are adult missionaries, and it was their daughter that converted to Islam. She had married a RM guy but he turned out to be quite awful, so she got disillusioned and converted. I am hoping to meet her someday. Perhaps she'll see the path runs both ways. I'll go back and edit my previous post. :)

And, were my belief in the church to fail, I would return to Islam.

The thing that separates Mormons from every other religion I have ever encountered is the encouragement.

Jesus Christ said two things and those were love God and love each other. According to Jesus Christ and myself, :) that embodies our religion. James 1:5  "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

Edited by EllenMaksoud

I often wish I could shave my hair or cut really short so I can just shower and go like so many men do. Is there a really short haircut that would work? The other day I saw on an infomercial where some women were pitching a new product that comes in all colors that you spray in places of baldness that looks just like you had hair there. It's amazing. If you google it you'd see it i'll bet. And it's not that spray that the salesman, can't remember his name but I think starts with an "r", that sells everything under the sun.

Edited by Tacenda

I often wish I could shave my hair or cut really short so I can just shower and go like so many men do.

My haircut is like that, I can just run my hands through it or comb it to define the part more and then I let it airdry. If I want it to look a little fancier, I just gel it a bit to spike it some.

Like this below, I use the electric razor on the back to slightly above the ears, shortest at the bottom, moving up using slightly longer cuts in about three stages and then cut the top so it is longest at the top and gets shorter as it goes down. Since my hair is so thick, I then use thinning shears on what is left to really allow air to get to my scalp and help it dry faster.

http://herstyle.info/2013/08/very-short-haircuts-2013/25-pixie-haircuts-2012-2013-2013-short-haircut-for-women/

What I really want to do though is take the razor on its longest setting and just buzz my head to see how that would look, but my husband isn't fond of too short so won't happen unless he takes off for a trip for a month or two.

Edited by calmoriah

Hi Ellen...

Did you look at the link that Calmoriah provided for the Pixie haircut?  There's something you could do without actually shaving your head...  not so drastic...

I've always had a fairly round face and if I wore my hair that short I'd probably look like a pumpkin...

GG

My haircut is like that, I can just run my hands through it or comb it to define the part more and then I let it airdry. If I want it to look a little fancier, I just gel it a bit to spike it some.

Like this below, I use the electric razor on the back to slightly above the ears, shortest at the bottom, moving up using slightly longer cuts in about three stages and then cut the top so it is longest at the top and gets shorter as it goes down. Since my hair is so thick, I then use thinning shears on what is left to really allow air to get to my scalp and help it dry faster.

http://herstyle.info/2013/08/very-short-haircuts-2013/25-pixie-haircuts-2012-2013-2013-short-haircut-for-women/

What I really want to do though is take the razor on its longest setting and just buzz my head to see how that would look, but my husband isn't fond of too short so won't happen unless he takes off for a trip for a month or two.

I kept mine almost as short as the Pixie cut most of my working life to keep it out of machinery, and to look unappealing to men at work.   It is now well below my collar, but with very thin spots on the side of my head and parts of the top. A short hair piece helps, but it itches. A full wig eventually feels like my head is burning. To me the Hijab is the easiest choice, since it is all cotton. There is just a lot of social pressure not to do that.

I generally find short hair on a woman quite flattering, but as stated above, it is not for everyone.

Comb-overs on men make me laugh, but I understand their desire for the appearance of hair. I am folliclly challenged and have this very small patch of hair just at the middle of my hairline in front. It is most standing straight up and refuses to lay over...all 50 strands. It is one of the minor joys of losing my hair.

So, I guess it is back to the Hijab, or Wimple?  Don't worry, I am just playing with your mind.  :crazy:

Ellen, I would like to add something in this post. Far to often people answer questions about policy or doctrine as if it all comes from the Church handbook. If a woman looses her hair from illness then they should wear a scarf or wig, because all scripture is doctrine, noting the fact such as animal sacrifice ended with the atonement of the true "Lamb of God". But many commandments in the OT are still in force and always will be. The "Ten Commandments", and so on in the OT, noting of course the "Law of Moses" that was fulfilled by Christ, but those 10 will always remain in force. In the NT, Forgive all, love all and a direct quote, "Love those that hate and pray for those that despitefully use and abuse you, that Ye Ming be the children of the Father in Heaven" (hope I quoted it correctly) as well as all Christ taught on the sermon on the mount. White shirts and ties for missionary's is both a commandment from the leadership of the Church and policy. However how we perform baptisms, and the exact wording of the Sacrament prayers, is a commandment. I write knowing that you were jesting but to often people confuse policy from commandments. For instance if we partake of the sacrament while still hating another or unwilling to forgive we are drinking damnation to our own souls. I qualify this last sentence because I am aware that it is very hard to "love and forgive" while being harmed. But if we are moving in that direction the Sacrament can give us strength, if we decide to never forgive, then we are doing great harm to ourselves. Also forgiving someone who has done grievous sins, does not mean we have to allow access to us. I would love to write a thread on this topic, but rules will not permit. But you thread even in jest gave an opportunity to answer some of these remarks. But even if you did it, others are not to judge. I am going to list a poem with this I wrote to address forgiveness and judgement, so I will have to go my my desktop so the print will look different, but my back makes it hard to sit in a chair like this without causing pain...so it will look stranger because it will have a different font...just hope you like it.

Forgive

Forgive,

The scripture seemed to read,

As once again I’d look.

Forgive,

The scripture clearly said,

Annoyed I closed the book.

“Forgive“,

The Spirit softly spoke,

Startled I did fear.

Forgive,

The Spirit louder spoke,

I pretended not to hear.

“Forgive“,

The Saviour said to me,

I quickly questioned , Why?

“Forgive“,

The Saviour said again,

“For this I came to die.”

Then bitterly I cried out

How can thou know my pain?

The wounds that I have suffered

My tears that fell like rain.

The quietly he spoke my name

And said, “I understand”.

Reached out that he may lift me

With wounds in both his hands.

Ashamed I said; How can I?

He reminded me again,

“For he who will not forgive,

In him lies the greater sin.”

Forgive,

The scripture seemed to read,

As once again I’d look.

Forgive,

The scripture clearly read,

I then embraced the book.

“Forgive“,

The Spirit softly spoke,

Now I did not fear.

“Forgive“,

The Spirit said again,

Once deaf, I now can hear.

“Forgive“,

The Saviour said to me,

“To you this gift I give.”

“Forgive,”

The Savior said again,

“Do this and ye shall live.”

William E. Lee

Copyright 1996

Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

I generally find short hair on a woman quite flattering, but as stated above, it is not for everyone.

Comb-overs on men make me laugh, but I understand their desire for the appearance of hair. I am folliclly challenged and have this very small patch of hair just at the middle of my hairline in front. It is most standing straight up and refuses to lay over...all 50 strands. It is one of the minor joys of losing my hair.

Because of my own "stuff", I find my short hair degrading. It is just me, and I know lots of women with short hair.  We selectively accept and reject scripture. 1 Corinthians 11:15  But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.  This begs the question then; why the Hijab?  I think the simple answer in the Arabian Peninsula is protection from the elements. Somehow that got bound up in religious dogma.

Muslims are fond of saying that Muhammad PBUH called for it but all he said was to cover your modesty, probably meaning your breasts and private parts. That's an old, worn out discussion though.

oh man, I have hair to spare!!! my ten yr old is starting to get leg hair and arm hair! it's weird