History Question - But I Can't Post Over There

I am a pretty new member.  I have a friend who just got baptized today.  In his Priesthood meeting today someone brought up the RLDS church and he was very confused.  I know a little, not a lot.  I remember reading quite a bit back at one time but I really can't find anything online.  Can someone give me some sources of info to pass on to a new member?  It doesn't need to be dumbed down, but also not overwhelming.

Thanks.

Christina

The reason you cannot find it is likely that you are not searching its current name:   The Community of Christ.    And many of the congregations no longer believe much of the Joseph Smith origins.   The ones that do are called Restoration Branches.   Wikipedia does have a good outline (though I've not read it from that faith's perspective, of course).   If you search here, you will find posts from a couple RLDS/Community of Christ believers.   (The name change is less than 10 years old.)

• 1 year later...

I am a pretty new member.  I have a friend who just got baptized today.  In his Priesthood meeting today someone brought up the RLDS church and he was very confused.  I know a little, not a lot.  I remember reading quite a bit back at one time but I really can't find anything online.  Can someone give me some sources of info to pass on to a new member?  It doesn't need to be dumbed down, but also not overwhelming.

Thanks.

Christina

As has already been mentioned, the former Reorganized Church has split roughly into

two divisions over the last two decades. The "official" segment, which legally holds

claim to all the old RLDS properties, possessions, copyrights, etc. is the Independence

Missouri based "Community of Christ."

The more traditional "Mormon-like" segment is a nebulous collection of "Restoration"

branches -- scattered mainly throughout the U.S. Midwest, but with outliers as far

afield as Australia and Central America. Some of these fundamentalist branches

recognize and cooperate with one another, others are fully independent.

If you are looking for some "Josephites" who most resemble the LDS in beliefs

and practices, then a restoration branch would be the folks to visit. Of course,

they claim to be the "One True Church," restored April 6, 1830 -- so a Mormon

attending one of their gatherings might feel a bit uncomfortable.

On the other hand, Community of Christ has long since stopped contesting the

old "One True Church" controversy and most members would treat a visiting

Mormon just like any other sectarian who was curious enough to stop by.

If you want to tour the Great Jackson County Millennial Temple, where Christ

will gather the "tribe of Joseph" at the time of the Second Advent, then a

stop at Community of Christ headquarters is in order. Oddly enough, the

leaders there no longer preach the "Gathering of Israel" in Missouri's Zion.

If you would rather join in singing "Praise to the Man" and "Redeemer of

Israel," and hear a sermon about how Zarahemla was in Guatamala,

then a restoration branch would be your logical choice.

In emotion and feelings of ancestral heritage, I personally gravitate

towards the fundamentalists -- who, in turn, would probably be very

reluctant to fellowship a modern Latter Day Saint, who did not firmly

profess Joseph Smith III to be the legitimate successor of his father.

Oh well....

UD

Thanks.

Christina

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latter_Day_Saint_movement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succession_crisis_(Latter_Day_Saints)