Seriously No Politics ×

Finally Made The Move

ERMD

This is our second house in 18 years.  I REALLY don't like moving, which is one reason we were in the first house for so long.  We had great memories there.  It's where our kids grew up and is the only home 2 of them remember.  There was also heartache there.  It's where my wife dealt with her months of chemotherapy and multiple post-op complications.

We have been building our second, and last, house since the beginning of the year.  We moved in yesterday.  All the kids are away at college, so it was our project (and the movers).  I keep telling people that this is the last stop before the nursing home.  They'll wheel me out of this one.

This is our second house in 18 years.  I REALLY don't like moving, which is one reason we were in the first house for so long.  We had great memories there.  It's where our kids grew up and is the only home 2 of them remember.  There was also heartache there.  It's where my wife dealt with her months of chemotherapy and multiple post-op complications.

We have been building our second, and last, house since the beginning of the year.  We moved in yesterday.  All the kids are away at college, so it was our project (and the movers).  I keep telling people that this is the last stop before the nursing home.  They'll wheel me out of this one.

I know just what you mean!!  My dear husband and I moved a couple of times in So Cal when we were younger... then his career change took us from So Cal to San Fran for the next 14 years.  Finally we retired from San Fran here to the beautiful central Oregon coast, building our retirement home in a resort called Salishan... we designed our home to last us through our elderly years with special features such as extra wide hallways/doors to accomodate wheelchairs, etc etc.  I thought that would be our last home... we had lived in that home 7 years when my hubby passed away suddenly.   It was too big for just me so I finally sold it and bought my little beach cottage... and here I am, sharing it with Bob-cat... been here 13 years... they will have to haul me out of this one... or, if I do have to go into assisted living, I'll have to sell it and move closer to my nephews so they can keep an eye on me... but I'm hoping to stay here in at least good mental health (I'll deal with the physical as long as possible), and hopefully one day will just fall over here as I'm standing at my easel... painting a lovely scene... Bobby-cat lying nearby on my desk...  beautiful music filling my home...  

GG

God bless you ERMD. I have never been in the same house 18 years, except growing up. That is a good thing for kids. Our four children are divided as to their memories and attachment to our three residences they can remember. The current one is almost ten years but when we moved in there were eight and its a five bedroom. I doubt we'll want such a big house in a spendy area even though Mom and Lisa's sister are with us now. I have thought we might head for the middle of the country. In any case, it seems like we have to allow one more move. Thanks for sharing!

3DOP

You are a Doctor, so did you move to Georgia, I hope, I hope? This is the promised land...I am sure this is somewhere in the D&C. :)

There have been a couple of cool fronts come through the past few days making for some pleasant fall evenings.  Perfect for watching the sunset from the hot tub and listening to the deer snort and blow at each other!

Thankfully, our move was local.  We sold our home in August of last year and have been renting as this one was being built.  It's only about 12 min from the church and 20 min from my primary place of work.  When you're out there, it feels like you're all by yourself.  Perfect!

Congrats! I truly hope it's the last move you have to make. :)

We are moving into our home on Friday, after driving 8 hours that day from wyoming to utah. To say that I'm not looking forward to it is an understatement.

bluebell, you'll be particularly in my prayers on Friday that you will be able to do all that is required for the good of you and your family... that you will have the energy and mental strength to meet any challenge as you go about your move. 

edit to add:  And ERMD, hope you're settled in now and things are getting into place and feeling like "home."

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Congrats! I truly hope it's the last move you have to make. :)

We are moving into our home on Friday, after driving 8 hours that day from wyoming to utah. To say that I'm not looking forward to it is an understatement.

Wow that happened fast. I am so glad it worked out for you.

Thankfully, our move was local.  We sold our home in August of last year and have been renting as this one was being built.  It's only about 12 min from the church and 20 min from my primary place of work.  When you're out there, it feels like you're all by yourself.  Perfect!

Nice....