Seriously No Politics ×

Provo-Fresh Missionaries

Jazzdreamer

Some missionaries are in a whole nother' category.  Ask him if he is an only child?

Edited by DBMormon

So today was my first time ever interacting with one. He was so....I don't even know, so strict and so percise.

Everything is taken so seriously....

How long does it take a missionary to grow out of that phase..?

This might help on understanding the nature of the phase.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22100469/Perry%20Scheme.pdf]

I've also found it helpful to consider the different Myers-Briggs Types. for example, see:

www.typelogic.com

FWIW

Kevin Christensen

Bethel Park, PA

Edited by Kevin Christensen

So today was my first time ever interacting with one. He was so....I don't even know, so strict and so percise.

Everything is taken so seriously....

How long does it take a missionary to grow out of that phase..?

Talking to a missionary probably isn't a big deal for you.

To him, he has been (possibly) preparing his entire life to serve his mission.  Then weeks of intensive training in the MTC, eating, sleeping, and thinking about nothing but missionary work.  Then suddenly, he finds himself in a strange place wearing a white shirt and missionary badge, and it all becomes real.  

That being the case, I would be more worried about a Provo-Fresh missionary who looked a little too comfortable, since it's more dangerous to start out not taking it seriously enough than being too serious.  It's much easier to get a too-serious (and nervous) missionary to dial it back to the proper level then to get someone who is too comfortable to take it up a notch.

I don't know. I was pretty strict and precise as a full-time missionary, though I'd like to think that I was pretty good at socializing and being normal as a missionary can be.

Valentius here on the forums can probably tell you better what I was like than I can, as I served in one of the wards he attended for a while.

I don't know. I was pretty strict and precise as a full-time missionary, though I'd like to think that I was pretty good at socializing and being normal as a missionary can be.

Valentius here on the forums can probably tell you better what I was like than I can, as I served in one of the wards he attended for a while.

It's the lack of being able to socialize that has shocked me most. Lol

If you're reasonably good-looking, that might complicate things a bit.

What??? :huh:  Did I just say that out loud! :o

Sorry.  Don't mind me.  I'm just talking crap ... ;)

Edited by Kenngo1969

What??? :huh: Did I just say that out loud! :o

Sorry. Don't mind me. I'm just talking crap ... ;)

Haha that's actually what my friend said today!!! She said uhm he is talking to a girl...that might have to do with it lol

I looked at the new guys companion(an elder I'm very good friends with) and I said "your companion already hates me."

The new guy says "why do you say that?"

Not "no" or "that's not true" he just said "why do you say that?"

Lol I almost fell over from his sassiness.

For what it's worth, I was reluctant to hug one of my the Lord's first baptisms ... and yes, she was a reasonably good-looking (... Oh, all right!  You beat it out of me! ... she was a ... Ahem! ... pretty good-looking ... female).  I was in the circle after her confirmation, extended my hand, and she was a quivering mass of happy tears, and she moved in for a hug and I was standing there thinking, "B-bu-but the Missionary Handbook s-s-sez ..." and the Bishop's wife said, "Awww, go ahead, Elder!" ... and I was thinking, "But President, th-th-the Bishop's wife said it was OK! ..." ;)

Edited by Kenngo1969

For what it's worth, I was reluctant to hug one of my the Lord's first baptisms ... and yes, she was a reasonably good-looking (... Oh, all right! You beat it out of me! ... she was a ... Ahem! ... pretty good-looking ... female). I was in the circle after her confirmation, extended my hand, and she was a quivering mass of happy tears, and she moved in for a hug and I was standing there thinking, "B-bu-but the Missionary Handbook s-s-sez ..." and the Bishop's wife said, "Awww, go ahead, Elder!" ... and I was thinking, "But President, th-th-the Bishop's wife said it was OK! ..." ;)

OMG it's funny you mention that because I was actually wondering if I should give a hug to the elder that was leaving or not. He was deff my fave :,( but missionary presidents say no...

OMG it's funny you mention that because I was actually wondering if I should give a hug to the elder that was leaving or not. He was deff my fave :,( but missionary presidents say no...

Whatever the mission president says, goes, and I'm OK with that.  In the case of me and my investigator, I think the Bishop's wife's thinking was that nothing untoward was going to happen in a roomful of people, and I think that's pretty sound.  Unfortunately, I was also the victim of some false accusations on my mission after stepping forward and volunteering to interview some baptismal candidates (with my outgoing mission president's OK) that my new companion and his previous companion had taught when I had just been transferred into the area and had just been released as a district leader (the zone leaders were supposed to do it, but they never showed up).  It turned out OK for me in the long run, but I had a very interesting meeting with my new mission president ("Elder, my assistants tell me we need to talk, is that true?") and a very long 3-4 days afterward as he and others looked into the allegations that had been made against me.

Given that experience, I'm completely OK with missionaries and mission presidents erring on the side of caution. :)

Edited by Kenngo1969

Oh my lol the struggle huh?

Glad everything worked out though :)

You're not the only one, Sister! :)

What??? :huh:  Did I just say that out loud! :o

Sorry.  Don't mind me.  I'm just talking crap ... ;)

I chuckle at this... not laugh, but chuckle... it brings back memories of when I was 14 - 17 years old... 9th thru 12th grade.  My folks always loved the missionaries and would invite them over for dinners, particularly on Sunday and special holidays.  To my sister and me, the missionaries seemed so grown up and fascinating (even though we knew they were "off limits.")  Now pardon me if I seem to be bragging, but my sis and I were pretty good looking.  So we liked to "flirt" with them... "forbidden fruit" and all that.  Of course they didn't mind at all because it was good natured, and we were careful to keep boundaries, as did the Elders.  I was pretty mature for my age, not giggly... the new ones were not that much older than we were (sis was 3 years older). 

One time after Sunday dinner, I was in the kitchen with an Elder from Mesa Arizona... we were laughing and kidding as we did the dishes.  At the time I was going out with a fellow named Jan Louis.  He was kidding me about the boy's name being Jan (kept saying it was a girl's name).  I said... Oh yeah, what's your name?  After prodding he finally gave in... he told me his name was Gayle!  Gayle I hooted... (this fellow was like a linebacker, and he blushed).  He never kidded about Jan's name again  Yes, those were fun days. 

A couple of years later, the Elder and my sister went on a couple of dates while both attended BYU... (And Jan?  He and his whole family joined the Church... his brother went on a mission... temple marriages... some extended family joined also... when Jan passed away from a heart attack, he was an ordinance worker in the Redlands, Ca temple.)  I still keep in touch with Jan's cousin... we were both ordinance workers... she in Denver and me in Portland, OR... not long ago his cousin was telling me how Jan's mom was saying to her as they sat in the temple... Just look at our family... and all because of a 16 year old girl... (me)...

GG 

I chuckle at this... not laugh, but chuckle... it brings back memories of when I was 14 - 17 years old... 9th thru 12th grade. My folks always loved the missionaries and would invite them over for dinners, particularly on Sunday and special holidays. To my sister and me, the missionaries seemed so grown up and fascinating (even though we knew they were "off limits.") Now pardon me if I seem to be bragging, but my sis and I were pretty good looking. So we liked to "flirt" with them... "forbidden fruit" and all that. Of course they didn't mind at all because it was good natured, and we were careful to keep boundaries, as did the Elders. I was pretty mature for my age, not giggly... the new ones were not that much older than we were (sis was 3 years older).

One time after Sunday dinner, I was in the kitchen with an Elder from Mesa Arizona... we were laughing and kidding as we did the dishes. At the time I was going out with a fellow named Jan Louis. He was kidding me about the boy's name being Jan (kept saying it was a girl's name). I said... Oh yeah, what's your name? After prodding he finally gave in... he told me his name was Gayle! Gayle I hooted... (this fellow was like a linebacker, and he blushed). He never kidded about Jan's name again Yes, those were fun days.

A couple of years later, the Elder and my sister went on a couple of dates while both attended BYU... (And Jan? He and his whole family joined the Church... his brother went on a mission... temple marriages... some extended family joined also... when Jan passed away from a heart attack, he was an ordinance worker in the Redlands, Ca temple.) I still keep in touch with Jan's cousin... we were both ordinance workers... she in Denver and me in Portland, OR... not long ago his cousin was telling me how Jan's mom was saying to her as they sat in the temple... Just look at our family... and all because of a 16 year old girl... (me)...

GG

Neat story, especially the part of your missionary work!

The only other guy I know with the name Jan, is the movie star Jan-Michael Vincent, he was always on the covers of those teen mags (Tiger Beat?) with all the young stars on them. My mom would buy the adult version, can't remember the name, that had all the gossip in them, but only on vacations, lol.

Edited by Tacenda

It's the lack of being able to socialize that has shocked me most. Lol

How will your boyfriend be at socializing in Finland? Is he a pretty comfortable person with people?

You get a wide spectrum with missionaries, as with all people. Some are great at talking with people, and some are real stiffs and Gomers. The neat thing is that even the "stiffs" connect with some people, and are certain people's "favs."

It is a good thing that there is such a wide variety of personalities, and missions are good experiences for those who are socially awkward, too. Very valuable experience.

How will your boyfriend be at socializing in Finland? Is he a pretty comfortable person with people?

You get a wide spectrum with missionaries, as with all people. Some are great at talking with people, and some are real stiffs and Gomers. The neat thing is that even the "stiffs" connect with some people, and are certain people's "favs."

It is a good thing that there is such a wide variety of personalities, and missions are good experiences for those who are socially awkward, too. Very valuable experience.

I'm not sure how he will do. He is a good socializer but at first he may be like this missionary.

I just noticed they all seem like this at first.

And these are all guys that just, like their confidence is obvious. They have a lot of it, how does this strike them down..?

And yes I'm willing to bet it's a vulnerable ex

I'm not sure how he will do. He is a good socializer but at first he may be like this missionary.

I just noticed they all seem like this at first.

And these are all guys that just, like their confidence is obvious. They have a lot of it, how does this strike them down..?

And yes I'm willing to bet it's a vulnerable experience.

What exactly is wrong with being strict and precise? What is wrong with taking things seriously?

Nothing, as long as one keeps Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 in mind. :)

... (And Jan?  He and his whole family joined the Church... his brother went on a mission... temple marriages... some extended family joined also... when Jan passed away from a heart attack, he was an ordinance worker in the Redlands, Ca temple.)  I still keep in touch with Jan's cousin... we were both ordinance workers... she in Denver and me in Portland, OR... not long ago his cousin was telling me how Jan's mom was saying to her as they sat in the temple... Just look at our family... and all because of a 16 year old girl... (me)...

GG 

Thank you for sharing your missionary experience!  I'm sure many of the branches and generations of that family will rise up and call you blessed! :)