Seriously No Politics ×

I'm So Lost...

Jazzdreamer

No, it isn't. D&C 132:19-21 lays out the sealing requirements for exaltation and mentions only "a man" and "a woman" as being necessary.

Although it is common folk belief in some circles, I might add.

Think about it though, if polygamy is necessary what about Lehi, Nephi, and all the Book of Mormon prophets? None of them were polygamist. Also, is there anything to suggest Peter, James, John, or any of the other apostles were polygamist? (No!)

Edited by DispensatorMysteriorum

No, it isn't. D&C 132:19-21 lays out the sealing requirements for exaltation and mentions only "a man" and "a woman" as being necessary.

Think about it though, if polygamy is necessary what about Lehi, Nephi, and all the Book of Mormon prophets? None of them were polygamist. Also, is there anything to suggest Peter, James, John, or any of the other apostles were polygamist? (No!)

Ha thanks!! That's what I thought to myself...and then I saw someone saying it was and thought how?! :o

I'll let someone who is more statistically inclined than I am flesh out the details, but I'm not even sure that would work from a pure numbers standpoint.

As Glenn reported above, BY did opine about this, but we've never "taught" it as long as I've been a member... all my life... and I stayed close to the Church through my folks during my many inactive years.  (I'm 72 now)  Think of all our ward members today who will live and die being sealed to only their one spouse... and continue to do temple work for ancestors who never lived polygamy... How would it be fair and just to all of us if such were a requirement... 

from the beautiful central Oregon coast on a glorious fall morning... I just walked down to the beach... the waves are rolling in at about 8 - 10 feet high...

GG

As Glenn reported above, BY did opine about this, but we've never "taught" it as long as I've been a member... all my life... and I stayed close to the Church through my folks during my many inactive years. (I'm 72 now) Think of all our ward members today who will live and die being sealed to only their one spouse... and continue to do temple work for ancestors who never lived polygamy... How would it be fair and just to all of us if such were a requirement...

from the beautiful central Oregon coast on a glorious fall morning... I just walked down to the beach... the waves are rolling in at about 8 - 10 feet high...

GG

That's why it confused me so much!!

And oh wow that sounds beautiful ^.^

And, while many might excoriate me for wasting the bandwidth and/or the time it took them to read it, I can never resist saying what I've said so many times before when this subject has come up: "Ya hafta monog before ya kin polyg!" :D;)

Lets be honest, it's been taught that to live in the highest kingdom or become Gods....you have to live polygamy, several past prophets had said so....but we don't discuss it anymore in the church. One reason might be that some might get the idea that they're suppose to live it now, therefore the reason we have thousands living it in the state of Utah, that are not members. But this doctrine may have evolved and it might just be those that get sealed to more than one spouse. There are leaders still living that will have more than wife.

I just hope Jazzdreamer works hard at getting to know her Saviour, it's very easy to let the goodness of this church be a substitute or enabler of living without that "need" for the Saviour. Just speaking from experience Jazz D.

Lets be honest, it's been taught that to live in the highest kingdom or become Gods....you have to live polygamy, several past prophets had said so....but we don't discuss it anymore in the church. One reason might be that some might get the idea that they're suppose to live it now, therefore the reason we have thousands living it in the state of Utah, that are not members. But this doctrine may have evolved and it might just be those that get sealed to more than one spouse. There are leaders still living that will have more than wife.

I just hope Jazzdreamer works hard at getting to know her Saviour, it's very easy to let the goodness of this church be a substitute or enabler of living without that "need" for the Saviour. Just speaking from experience Jazz D.

Well thank you. :) that is deff something I strive for. To recognize and become more like him. I absolutely need him or else I wouldn't even be in this church!

Thank you for answering my question though. :)

I have read a few people who have demanded that this was the doctrine of the Church.....but of course history does not support the position. Regardless, they keep telling others it is the truth. Then they tell me that there was only two members of the Godhead, but then I have always known three and Joseph taught there was three, yet these people contine their proclamations.

It is strange. I am not a polygamist, have never been a polygamist, and I don't foresee ever being one. I don't buy into this rather bizarre notion that the church really does have these secret teachings. Frankly, it is offensive when I read such utter balderdash. Pick your scriptures up, read them, that is the gospel of Jesus Christ. If a teaching is not in them, it is of no importance at present. When in doubt, listen to the Holy Spirit.

Some people read D&C 132 to require polygamy for everyone.   I think it required polygamy for a few of those to whom polygamy was revealed as a commandment, both in 1800's Nauvoo and SLC, and Abraham.   But I don't see any scriptural evidence that it is required for those who are not specifically commanded.

I have read a few people who have demanded that this was the doctrine of the Church.....but of course history does not support the position. Regardless, they keep telling others it is the truth. Then they tell me that there was only two members of the Godhead, but then I have always known three and Joseph taught there was three, yet these people contine their proclamations.

It is strange. I am not a polygamist, have never been a polygamist, and I don't foresee ever being one. I don't buy into this rather bizarre notion that the church really does have these secret teachings. Frankly, it is offensive when I read such utter balderdash. Pick your scriptures up, read them, that is the gospel of Jesus Christ. If a teaching is not in them, it is of no importance at present. When in doubt, listen to the Holy Spirit.

I beg to differ, why were brides of JS & BY and fill in the blanks...., told they had to live it to reach exaltation? Why did several leaders keep marrying and ok'g polygamous unions post manifesto if it weren't so critical at the time? Just for fun?

Some people read D&C 132 to require polygamy for everyone. I think it required polygamy for a few of those to whom polygamy was revealed as a commandment, both in 1800's Nauvoo and SLC, and Abraham. But I don't see any scriptural evidence that it is required for those who are not specifically commanded.

I just went and read that. And I agree with what you said. It's doesnt appear to require it for everyone, just those commanded, how can this be church doctrine and yet polygamists aren't allowed in the church...? Who is to say whether God commanded them or not? Second, it was infuriating reading basically, "it's okay if a man does it but women aren't allowed." Can I just say wts?!? (What the SCRIPTURE?!)

I just went and read that. And I agree with what you said. It's doesnt appear to require it for everyone, just those commanded, how can this be church doctrine and yet polygamists aren't allowed in the church...? Who is to say whether God commanded them or not? Second, it was infuriating reading basically, "it's okay if a man does it but women aren't allowed." Can I just say wts?!? (What the SCRIPTURE?!)

I don't think it's doctrine now for everyone that wants exaltation to live it in the hereafter but do have a single friend that is almost sixty with no hope of marrying in this life, but has the hope of marrying in the next life, and invariably it will have to be with a married man. There I see it happening.

I don't think it's doctrine now for everyone that wants exaltation to live it in the hereafter but do have a single friend that is almost sixty with no hope of marrying in this life, but has the hope of marrying in the next life, and invariably it will have to be with a married man. There I see it happening.

What makes you say it would have to be with a married man?

Well the teaching from back in Brigham Young's day was less that you needed to live it for exaltation (ie, not a reward based issue) but that it was the family situation of the Gods, and if we wanted to be like God we needed to live as they live (an order based issue).  This also addresses the issue of why men can and women can't - it's not part of the eternal order, or at least, that's what was taught.

As for scriptural necessity -

D&C 132:

32 Go ye, therefore, and do the aworks of Abraham; enter ye into my law and ye shall be saved.

33 But if ye enter not into my law ye cannot receive the promise of my Father, which he made unto Abraham.

34 God acommanded Abraham, and Sarah gave bHagar to Abraham to wife. And why did she do it? Because this was the law; and from Hagar sprang many people. This, therefore, was fulfilling, among other things, the promises.

I beg to differ, why were brides of JS & BY and fill in the blanks...., told they had to live it to reach exaltation? Why did several leaders keep marrying and ok'g polygamous unions post manifesto if it weren't so critical at the time? Just for fun?

Questions are good; were you ever told you needed to live polygamy to be exalted? Were any of the blessings of the Celestial Kingdom denied you unless you observed polygamy? Why not?

Tacenda, I have little patience for the people that peddle this distortion. First, what was the last prophet that told you that you needed to observe the law of plural marriage? Is it possible throughout history some people lived the principle while others did not?  Were those that lived it, commanded to do so?  Were those that did not live it commanded to do so?  What is more important, going back to days of Issac and understanding how he lived or by living under the dictates of the prophet today?  Where is more important Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, or Spencer W. Kimball, or Thomas S. Monson?  Does the answer have a direct impact on your available choices to make?

Why were people told in the OT that circumcision was an eternal, everlasting covenant with God and commanded to perform it or be damned and yet we aren't commanded to live that law today?

Lets be honest, it's been taught that to live in the highest kingdom or become Gods....you have to live polygamy, several past prophets had said so....

D&C 132 says to whom all it has been revealed too, only a small % lived it even when it was practiced. I have known one woman in the Biblical sense and have been with here 38 years, and it will stay that way in heaven. If I am told I must practice in heaven...the deal is off, I am shy and a one woman man. Revelation says there will come a day before Christ comes where there will be seven women for one man...not this one. Btw, I think I was off ten years, instead of 124 since polygamy ended I think is almost 134.

Cal, Stormrider, Pa Pa, I just didn't want Jazzdreamer to read it somewhere and freak out like I did. I know it's not taught to me or you. But if we're being honest it was taught. And has been a question mark in many people's minds. I've read/heard statements by women and men, just like yours Pa Pa, where they've said the deals off if that happens in heaven for them too.

Edited by Tacenda

But are they Gods? In the heading of section 132, it even says it has something to do with polygamy. Or it did at one time. But if it's only for the few so be it, but if my mind isn't playing tricks, I swear I read statements from past leaders, that say it is so. If I'm wrong, I apologise to Jazzdreamer. Edited by Tacenda