Seriously No Politics ×

Lock Up

Stone holm

Are we a basically political and uncivil people, is that why the most popular and active threads tend to get locked up?

I think popular threads tend to get locked for three reasons:

1)  We are basically passionate and strongly opinioned people.

2)  We are basically human people, who sometimes let disagreement over things we are passionate about make us angry.

3)  Being angry is basically like being drunk.  Just like drunk people think they are being really funny or clever, but are really just making fools of themselves, the angrier people get in an online debate, the more witty and impressive and decimating they believe their debate skills are, but the more embarrassing and idiotic they begin to look to everyone who's not a part of the argument.   I think that's why the people involved don't ever seem to be able to self moderate, while everyone else can see the train wreck coming from a mile away.

Edited by bluebell

Whew!  Stone Holm, from the title of the thread, I was worried you'd gone to prison or something! ;)

Edited by Kenngo1969

Are we a basically political and uncivil people, is that why the most popular and active threads tend to get locked up?

Yes.

So basically uncivil political people are more interesting as well?

If a limited number of posters could refrain from connecting faithfulness/doctrinally pure to political positions, then the threads could remain open, I suspect.  However, there are always those who insist that there is a 'true' political position that aligns with the gospel rather than allowing people to see fulfillment of the teachings of the gospel in varied ways and thus we have thread closures.

If a limited number of posters could refrain from connecting faithfulness/doctrinally pure to political positions, then the threads could remain open, I suspect.  However, there are always those who insist that there is a 'true' political position that aligns with the gospel rather than allowing people to see fulfillment of the teachings of the gospel in varied ways and thus we have thread closures.

Care to name names?! ;)

Oh. :huh:  Wait.  That's probably not such a good idea. :unsure:  It would probably get Stone Holm's thread, intended to explore why threads get closed, closed.

Care to name names?! ;)

Oh. :huh:  Wait.  That's probably not such a good idea. :unsure:  It would probably get Stone Holm's thread, intended to explore why threads get closed, closed.

Lol....or at least more interesting

Yup the _______ are the worst.  You just can't reason with them at all.

Yeah I started this when the last of the interesting ones got locked, so guess we are free to talk about the weather, share pictures of Conference attendees, and the latest amber alert...oh wait talking about the weather could get problematical...how about the intonation of Conference speakers instead

You can always tell the Dutch. You just can't tell them much. ( to quote my pa )

Actually, I always heard that saying as, "You can always tell a lady, you just can't tell them much" (Quote my gay brother)