Seriously No Politics ×

Study: Children In Families Led By Same-Sex Couples Less Apt To Graduate

Scott Lloyd

A study reported in today's Deseret News has found that children in families where the parents are same-sex couples are significantly less likely to graduate from high school.

This Canadian-based study reportedly avoids the drawbacks of other such studies, where the samples were small, biased and self-selected.

I'm posting it to this board, of course, because I find it relevant in light of the Church's position defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

Prophets have warned, society not only does not listen, but mocks and calls them "bigoted" and "intolerant". Sometimes it seems that all we can do it strive to insulate our families from the world. 

Both the gay and lesbian parents are well-educated and more than 90 percent of them graduated from high school. Boys do better than girls in single-parent homes, but the difference is less pronounced than in same-sex households. Also, in terms of graduation, sons do better with fathers and girls do better with mothers.

Don't want to know enough to pay, but in case anyone runs across it I would love to know if they controlled for education and income level of parents, because if they didn't, since gays and lesbian parents are better educated and I believe tend to be higher income, the lower rates are even more dramatic.

Interesting study.

I wonder if they accounted for children who were adopted out of the foster care program (since studies show they have a markedly lower graduation rate) since gay couples seem more likely to have adopted children.

FYI... Gay marriage has only been legal in Canada since mid-2005 and the data is extracted from a 2006 census.

A study reported in today's Deseret News has found that children in families where the parents are same-sex couples are significantly less likely to graduate from high school.

This Canadian-based study reportedly avoids the drawbacks of other such studies, where the sample were small, biased and self-selected.

I'm posting it to this board, of course, because I find it relevant in light of the Church's position defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

So you take Canadian research over American :)

Did you read the last paragraph:

The American Psychological Association has disagreed. It said that "On the basis of a remarkably consistent body of research on lesbian and gay parents and their children, the American Psychological Association (APA) and other health professional and scientific organizations have concluded that there is no scientific evidence that parenting effectiveness is related to parental sexual orientation. That is, lesbian and gay parents are as likely as heterosexual parents to provide supportive and healthy environments for their children. This body of research has shown that the adjustment, development and psychological well-being of children are unrelated to parental sexual orientation and that the children of lesbian and gay parents are as likely as those of heterosexual parents to flourish."

Will Deseret News be publishing the research conducted by University of Cambridge. I'll bet my bottom dollar that they won't. But then they are serving and audience that just want confirmation of what they thought they already know.

Fears that children adopted by gay and lesbian couples do less well in life are completely unfounded, according to the first study into how children and parents in non-traditional families fare compared with heterosexual households.

The experiences of 130 gay, lesbian and heterosexual adoptive families in Britain, with children aged four to eight, were examined – focusing on the quality of family relationships, how parents cope and how children adjust. The study concludes "there was no evidence" to support speculation that children's masculine or feminine tendencies are affected by having gay or lesbian parents. Family life and the quality of relationships are very similar for children regardless of their parents' sexual orientation, it says.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/children-in-gay-adoptions-at-no-disadvantage-8518004.html

Did you read the last paragraph:

Will Deseret News be publishing the research conducted by University of Cambridge. I'll bet my bottom dollar that they won't. But then they are serving and audience that just want confirmation of what they thought they already know.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/children-in-gay-adoptions-at-no-disadvantage-8518004.html

We are going to have to wait a bit to see how well designedthose studies were. The Cambridge study is much smaller in scope and the methodology is not described in the article. The criticism of many of the studies purporting to show that children in SS parent homes do as well as children in hetero parent homes is that most of those studies rely on small sample sizes and rely upon self reporting.

Maybe a better study could be conducted in the Netherlands where SS unions, and gay and lesbian activity receives a greater acceptance than in Canada or the US.

Glenn

The study adds to the extant body of knowledge that the homosexual lifestyle is fraught with significant additional risk factors (and therefore ought not to be benefited by the state or advanced as a valid vehicle for raising children) .  What's promising is that while it's been difficult to publish these kinds of results for about a decade now because of political incorrectness, we may be seeing a reversal of that trend.

The study adds to the extant body of knowledge that the homosexual lifestyle is fraught with significant additional risk factors (and therefore ought not to be benefited by the state or advanced as a valid vehicle for raising children) .  What's promising is that while it's been difficult to publish these kinds of results for about a decade now because of political incorrectness, we may be seeing a reversal of that trend.

You're right.  We should only provide tax breaks, additional legal rights, and other government benefits to parents with no "significant additional risk factors".

We are going to have to wait a bit to see how well designedthose studies were. The Cambridge study is much smaller in scope and the methodology is not described in the article. The criticism of many of the studies purporting to show that children in SS parent homes do as well as children in hetero parent homes is that most of those studies rely on small sample sizes and rely upon self reporting.

Maybe a better study could be conducted in the Netherlands where SS unions, and gay and lesbian activity receives a greater acceptance than in Canada or the US.

Glenn

I'm all for better, more holistic research. Perhaps Deseret News would like to be too instead of publishing stories that will do little more than affirm the prejudices its readers already have.

I'm all for better, more holistic research. Perhaps Deseret News would like to be too instead of publishing stories that will do little more than affirm the prejudices its readers already have.

Deseret serves the equal and opposite audience that the SL Trib does. Its integrity on issues such as these tend to mirror rational and reasonable information as provided by a gossip rag. This is not meant to be a Godwin's Law violation. But it is clear that DN has its agenda to perpetuate and prejudices to maintain. Typical media reporting.

Deseret serves the equal and opposite audience that the SL Trib does. Its integrity on issues such as these tend to mirror rational and reasonable information as provided by a gossip rag. This is not meant to be a Godwin's Law violation. But it is clear that DN has its agenda to perpetuate and prejudices to maintain. Typical media reporting.

My my!  The sour-grapes, kill-the-messenger mentality is palpable here.

Sorry to have ruined your day by citing a news story, guys.

Did you read the last paragraph [with the APA statement in disagreement]:

Yes. The fact that the author of the Deseret News piece balanced it with that says something about her professionalism and fairness and that of the newspaper.

Bring on all of the studies.

An important part of the scientific method is to gather as much data as possible and peer-review the living daylights out of it. The more studies we get, the more data we have to analyze, criticize and draw conclusions from the better.

We shouldn't ignore a study just because it goes against our biases, in this case being for or against same-sex marriage and/or adoption. Brushing it off as propaganda, drivel or what not serves no purpose. It might very well be that, but the danger comes from instant dismissal. A critical analysis might reveal the "whys" of it being propaganda or drivel, or it might convince us that it is indeed correct.

As the article points out at the end, the American Psychological Association disagrees with the findings. What does this mean? More studies are needed, and more critical review is necessary.

Yes. The fact that the author of the Deseret News piece balanced it with that says something about her professionalism and fairness and that of the newspaper.

Didn't ruin my day. What did ruffle my day was finding out that a prosecutor is contesting the validity of my German/American dual citizenship. Apparently, being born to American parents, one a former Army service member, having a social security number for 30 years but being born in a German hospital is grounds for possible deportation.

Didn't ruin my day. What did ruffle my day was finding out that a prosecutor is contesting the validity of my German/American dual citizenship. Apparently, being born to American parents, one a former Army service member, having a social security number for 30 years but being born in a German hospital is grounds for possible deportation.

Wow. That is a downer. Best of luck to you on that.

Do you stand to be deported from Germany or the United States?

Why in the world would he be bothering to waste the taxpayers' money on such an attempt?  Is he actually attempting to get you deporting or just trying to get you disqualified for something?

Why in the world would he be bothering to waste the taxpayers' money on such an attempt?  Is he actually attempting to get you deporting or just trying to get you disqualified for something?

The documentation that was sent to me implies actual deportation. I'm not exactly sure what her motivation is for this. If she wins the case, then I get deported to Germany, I lose my dual citizenship and I'm not allowed back to the United States for a minimum of ten years.

Considering the fact that I'm marrying a Canadian, I'm not entirely sure what will happen. Jacob and I may have to move the wedding up just so that I can stay in North America. From what I understand about this woman, she is so far right, politically speaking, that she makes conservatives, Republicans and Tea Party persons look like liberal hippies. I had no idea there was such a breed of person to be honest.

The documentation that was sent to me implies actual deportation. I'm not exactly sure what her motivation is for this. If she wins the case, then I get deported to Germany, I lose my dual citizenship and I'm not allowed back to the United States for a minimum of ten years.

Considering the fact that I'm marrying a Canadian, I'm not entirely sure what will happen. Jacob and I may have to move the wedding up just so that I can stay in North America. From what I understand about this woman, she is so far right, politically speaking, that she makes conservatives, Republicans and Tea Party persons look like liberal hippies. I had no idea there was such a breed of person to be honest.

So she has just been going through a list or did you apply for a visa to Canada?  It just sounds so weird given that undoubtedly you have been filling out tax forms, going to school and working as a citizen for decades.  Makes no sense.

Canada isn't the best for sharing info that is needed to immigrate there...be sure and press 'is there anything I need to do to keep my Visa up to date' etc and stay on top of the paperwork so it doesn't get lost or sit on someone's desk for a year.  We had to start over three times IIRC for our landed immigrancy, which is why we are not citizens (got so tired with dealing with bureaucracy we took a breather for a few years meaning to do it later...then got a job down here and moved too soon to complete the process, it is a huge regret) and because of one screwup, they put our son on a minister's permit for a year when he was 13 and for others, our son was illegally attending school for 3 years (no one had told us we needed a school visa for elementary, on all the paperwork they had just assumed we had it).

So she has just been going through a list or did you apply for a visa to Canada?  It just sounds so weird given that undoubtedly you have been filling out tax forms, going to school and working as a citizen for decades.  Makes no sense.

Canada isn't the best for sharing info that is needed to immigrate there...be sure and press 'is there anything I need to do to keep my Visa up to date' etc and stay on top of the paperwork so it doesn't get lost or sit on someone's desk for a year.  We had to start over three times IIRC for our landed immigrancy, which is why we are not citizens (got so tired with dealing with bureaucracy we took a breather for a few years meaning to do it later...then got a job down here and moved too soon to complete the process, it is a huge regret) and because of one screwup, they put our son on a minister's permit for a year when he was 13 and for others, our son was illegally attending school for 3 years (no one had told us we needed a school visa for elementary, on all the paperwork they had just assumed we had it).

This actually has nothing to do with Canada or Jacob. I only mentioned him because, if I were to lose my case, I would be deported to Europe. Therefore, he would be my only way to stay in North America. If I lose my citizenship, by marrying Jacob I may be able to stay in the United States on a secured limited Visa or we would have to move to Manitoba (not a bad idea).

The case is expected to take up to and not exceed 6 months. It starts in 2 weeks. I will know in May at the latest as to my citizenship here in the US. I'm not really stressing the issue. However, I am concerned what the actual motivation behind the prosecutor's argument. I'd like to know more about what she is getting at.

After birth, we were only in Germany for a few months before my dad was reassigned back in America. Oddly enough, the German government wasn't going to allow me to be taken out of the country because I was born in a German hospital despite being born to American parents. They were trying to disregard my father's military status until the US Embassy got involved. From what I recall from my parents, it cost them more than $20k to get me out of Germany.

Just wanted to remind you that the SL Trib also has an agenda which is obviously much different than DN.  So it appears that the validity of the studies must be evaluated on criteria than which newspaper is reporting it.

Just wanted to remind you that the SL Trib also has an agenda which is obviously much different than DN.  So it appears that the validity of the studies must be evaluated on criteria than which newspaper is reporting it.

Of course it does. I don't support that rag either. DN, SLT, New York Times, USA Today, AZ Republic are all on par with each other. May as well save time and watch Fox or CNN. They're all worthless.

Archived