Seriously No Politics ×

Christain Vrs Mormon Belief Chart

Anakin7

While at a farmers market last week I approached a non LDS Church table with some christian literature and got into conversation with the 3 workers at the table [ they were all semi anchient ]. One individual pulled out a standard christian vrs mormon compare chart to give to me from his briefcase after I told them all I was LDS. I told them that chart along with all the anti LDS materail has been responded to via Books/Journals/Papers/Tracts/DVD's/CD's material on the internet. They were all were concerned for my soul and were christlike in there presentation to me.

I seem to have seen somewhere on F.A.I.R a resonse to that chart, does one know the link ?. Thank you in advance. 

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

LDS JEDI KNIGHT

I seem to have seen somewhere on F.A.I.R a resonse to that chart, does one know the link ?. Thank you in advance.

Can you provide the chart?  I have seen several of this type of comparative chart over time and I think one that I once saw on my mission actually came from an LDS source.  But that was long ago and I don't have copies of any.

To me a "Christian vs Mormon belief chart" is an oddity in that it implies a nonexistent homogeneity of Christian belief.

Perhaps it would be more coherent for people to produce charts such as "Catholic vs Mormon belief chart", or "Jehovah's witness vs Mormon belief"

To me a "Christian vs Mormon belief chart" is an oddity in that it implies a nonexistent homogeneity of Christian belief. ...

Not to mention that it constructs a false dichotomy between Mormons and Christians © and .

While at a farmers market last week I approached a non LDS Church table with some christian literature and got into conversation with the 3 workers at the table [ they were all semi anchient ]. One individual pulled out a standard christian vrs mormon compare chart to give to me from his briefcase after I told them all I was LDS. I told them that chart along with all the anti LDS materail has been responded to via Books/Journals/Papers/Tracts/DVD's/CD's material on the internet. They were all were concerned for my soul and were christlike in there presentation to me.

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

LDS JEDI KNIGHT

In the basics, there really is little difference between Mormons and the other denominations. Though in my own conversations with them,  there are some huge misconceptions in belief.

• 2 weeks later...

In the basics, there really is little difference between Mormons and the other denominations. Though in my own conversations with them,  there are some huge misconceptions in belief.

Would you provide us with some of these 'huge' misconceptions and show from LDS teaching

manuals how they are resolved?

Thanks,

Jim

Would you provide us with some of these 'huge' misconceptions and show from LDS teaching

manuals how they are resolved?

Thanks,

Jim

Having been EV before I was Muslim, and then trying to re-connect with Ev friends when they were once again, not Kafir, I've had people express more dismay at my being Mormon than when I was Muslim. Not long ago a woman said, "Mormon! Mormons do not believe in Jesus Christ."  These conversations are generally enjoyable because I was once like them, so it does not provide discomfort while explaining what we really believe to them. Actually, in many ways, Mormons share many beliefs with the Ev, except that generally we are more conservative than them.

Polygamy is easy, we don't do it.  We believe in Jesus Christ, just not the Trinity. The Trinity is a big deal to the Ev, though few of them really understand what they are saying, Actually, I am STILL a bit foggy on the difference between what we believe and the Trinity. For me, Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are three distinct, completely separate entities. (I am just waiting to be corrected on that, and may have to get a tatoo on my arm to keep it straight. :) ))

We are told by some Ev that we are so different, but I just don't take them seriously.

Edited by EllenMaksoud

We are told by some Ev that we are so different, but I just don't take them seriously.

Joseph Smith (and other LDS leaders of the past) taught Heavenly Father was once

a man who became a God. This part of the 1997 version of Gospel Principles was

never labelled as a false doctrine so I assume they still believe it, even though it was

quietly removed from the current version.

"We believe in a God who has attained his exalted state by a path which now his
children are permitted to follow. In the face of direct charges of blasphemy, the church
proclaims the eternal truth: As Man Is, God Once Was, As God Is, Man May Be"
(Doctrines of Salvation, page 430).

The teaching of Heavenly Father being an exalted man can also be found in other
places:

April 1971, New Era, People on other Worlds
April 1971, Ensign, The King Follett Discourse
May 1976, New Era, How to Gain a Testimony
July 1979, Ensign, Line Upon Line
February 1982, Ensign, I Have a Question
January 1989, Ensign, The Restoration of Major Doctrines Through Joseph Smith
February 2002, Ensign, The Origin of Man
January 2005, Liahona, Strengthening the Family: Created in the Image of God, Male and Female
October 2008, General Conference, God Loves and Helps all His Children
2008, Teachings of Presidents of the Church - Joseph Smith, chapter 2: God the Eternal Father
February 2012, Liahona, Our Father in Heaven.

I wonder if you take the above seriously when it keeps popping up.

Evangelicals don't worship an exalted man so it sounds like we are different after all.

Regards,

Jim

Joseph Smith (and other LDS leaders of the past) taught Heavenly Father was once

never labelled as a false doctrine so I assume they still believe it, even though it was

children are permitted to follow. In the face of direct charges of blasphemy, the church

places:

January 2005, Liahona, Strengthening the Family: Created in the Image of God, Male and Female
2008, Teachings of Presidents of the Church - Joseph Smith, chapter 2: God the Eternal Father

Evangelicals don't worship an exalted man so it sounds like we are different after all.

Regards,

Jim

Tell me, how is your own walk with Heavenly Father?  There are people who spend more time pecking away at LDS doctrines than doing things that are pleasing to God.

I was "PUT" in this church amid very strong circumstances. There is no doubt that I am supposed to be here, what ever people think about the BoM, Joseph Smith or any other Mormon doctrine. Mormon members of TODAY saved my life full stop. It was my Evangelical Denomination that threw me out, refused to help me find restoration, shunned me and continue to do so.  Paul admonishes people to shun one caught in sin, and later he encourages them to help the sinner back to full restoration and in my estimation Ev folk have completely missed the boat on that issue.

If you are looking for a Shlub to condemn, look at David. You should be familiar enough with the Bible to be able to find the full range of his failings.

As to specifically whether God was once a man, I don't know. The point is that TODAY is is the Lord our God. Go have a look at the 1st Commandment and let me know what you think that means.

From my own personal experience, having been Ev for over 30 years, it is part of the culture to be "Attack  Christians", and I used to be one, though I never attacked the Mormons. With some Ev, someone elses beliefs must match up exactly with theirs other wise their opponent is going to hell.

places:

Regards,

Jim

We still do. The only mortal example we have is Jesus the Christ, and the injunction from the Bible to become one like God the Father and Christ are one.

Having been EV before I was Muslim, and then trying to re-connect with Ev friends when they were once again, not Kafir, I've had people express more dismay at my being Mormon than when I was Muslim. Not long ago a woman said, "Mormon! Mormons do not believe in Jesus Christ."  These conversations are generally enjoyable because I was once like them, so it does not provide discomfort while explaining what we really believe to them. Actually, in many ways, Mormons share many beliefs with the Ev, except that generally we are more conservative than them.

Polygamy is easy, we don't do it.  We believe in Jesus Christ, just not the Trinity. The Trinity is a big deal to the Ev, though few of them really understand what they are saying, Actually, I am STILL a bit foggy on the difference between what we believe and the Trinity. For me, Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are three distinct, completely separate entities. (I am just waiting to be corrected on that, and may have to get a tatoo on my arm to keep it straight. :) ))

Morman beliefs are very different than Christian beliefs. Here is what I believe according to scripture (the Bible). Let me know if this is what you as a morman believe.

Gen 1:1

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

John 1:1-3

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God . All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Deut 6:4

Hear O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.

Is 43:10

Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me.

Jesus Christ is the Word referred to in John 1. The whole universe was created (not organized) through him as God. Nothing was made without him. God (Jesus) became flesh. The re-incarnation. Jesus = 100% God 100% man. 

There is only one God. The Father is God, the Son is God the Holy Spirit is God. The Bible clearly teaches that there only ever was one God and only ever will be one God. No human can ever become a God. 

God, the angles and humans are different species. God is the creator of the universe. Angels are his messengers. Humans live on earth. Angels can never be saved. They do not need salvation. Humans need salvation, without salvation we are damned.

Your quote that you believe in Jesus Christ, you DO NOT believe in the Jesus of the Bible. Read who Jesus is as revealed in the Bible.

Morman beliefs are very different than Christian beliefs. Here is what I believe according to scripture (the Bible). Let me know if this is what you as a morman believe.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God . All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Jesus Christ is the Word referred to in John 1. The whole universe was created (not organized) through him as God. Nothing was made without him. God (Jesus) became flesh. The re-incarnation. Jesus = 100% God 100% man. 

There is only one God. The Father is God, the Son is God the Holy Spirit is God. The Bible clearly teaches that there only ever was one God and only ever will be one God. No human can ever become a God. 

God, the angles and humans are different species. God is the creator of the universe. Angels are his messengers. Humans live on earth. Angels can never be saved. They do not need salvation. Humans need salvation, without salvation we are damned.

Your quote that you believe in Jesus Christ, you DO NOT believe in the Jesus of the Bible. Read who Jesus is as revealed in the Bible.

First, did you mean to make your username 'fried of Jesus'?  I'm wondering if you were aiming for 'friend' instead of 'fried' and if that's the case, you can contact the mods and they can probably fix it for you.

Second, there is no debate allowed in the social hall.

Yes, we do believe in the same Jesus as the one that is spoken of in the bible, yes, we are Christian, and no, your opinion on the matter doesn't suddenly convince us of the error of our ways, but if you want to get into it, you're going to have to do it in the other forum.

Welcome to the board by the way.  :)

First, did you mean to make your username 'fried of Jesus'?  I'm wondering if you were aiming for 'friend' instead of 'fried' and if that's the case, you can contact the mods and they can probably fix it for you.

Second, there is no debate allowed in the social hall.

Yes, we do believe in the same Jesus as the one that is spoken of in the bible, yes, we are Christian, and no, your opinion on the matter doesn't suddenly convince us of the error of our ways, but if you want to get into it, you're going to have to do it in the other forum.

Welcome to the board by the way.  :)

Thanks for clarifying. I am new to the site.

Your quote that you believe in Jesus Christ, you DO NOT believe in the Jesus of the Bible. Read who Jesus is as revealed in the Bible."

"Ah, another "Attack Christian" "  She says, licking her lips.  :)

So now, you decide, do you want a conversation, or do you wish to just trade insults? I will do the former but I will not dignify the ladder but will instead just ignore you. You decide.  I was an Evangelical for over 30 years before I left in disgust to become Muslim. Yes, I would rather have been Muslim than Evangelical. One of the things that drove me from the Evangelical Church was the constant stream of hate and one ups man ship. Anyone who was not my denomination, (I started as a Baptist and ended as a 4 square), including Catholics were automatically going to hell.  How can there be room for such loathsome attitudes in the face of the second commandment that Jesus Christ gave us? In case you can't remember it, "Love thy neighbor as thy self".

As I look at it, I can't even remember being involved in this thread. Hmph .

In reference to your "Isaiah 43:10 passage,   There is the Snow Couplet. I'll let you find it on your own, I'm pressed for time.  The Snow Couplet simply allows for eternal progression.  Can't you find something better?

You know, as a Mormon, I am not to even supposed to dignify this by arguing with you. However, I am not that good a Mormon. I can still remember the day a bunch of Evangelicals put me in the center of a circle and took turns telling me what a despicable, sinful, creature I was and how I was bound for hell. You seem to have forgotten that while Paul did say to shun the sinner, he also wrote about restoration. How long would you have wanted me to wait for you to help me toward restoration?

So, the Mormons took me, accepted me and loved me as I was, without reservation. How is it that you could not have done the same thing?

What did Jesus Christ say were the two most important commandments? Can you answer that, or do you need my help? Are those two commandments part of your practiced doctrine? Should I look that up for you?

Yes, I am. And I've always thought we Latter-day Saints are a bit (or a lot) more liberal in our beliefs than evangelical Christians.

Ummmm, OOOOkkkaaayyyy . :)

Well, THE issue for our age is being Gay, marrying gays, gay rights and all that  ad nauseous.  And I don't mean that is not an important issue, but I have seen it discussed in LDS circles in a mostly civil way. In my old denomination (4 Square) and many like it,  anyone doing any sort of advocation for them would be roundly trounced.  Yes, the LDS have some relatively conservative ideas, but they are all filtered through strong love; in my opinion, that is.

However, adhering to the D&C 89, and other things just makes them feel to me to be more conservative.  Of course, who in their right mind would allow a fully covered Muslim woman to walk into and attend their Sacrament Service? Most certainly not a Baptist or a 4 Square, or AG, or Catholic, um well maybe Catholics would, I don't know.

I guess my argument is not very strong...