Boredom

Stone holm

Do you suppose that there will ever come a time when churches will acknowledge that the greatest threat to church activity is in fact not sin, but boredom?  I mean in the 1960’s Americans were fleeing mainline Protestant churches for fundamentalism which at least at the time provided some excitement in daring to believe that the Old Testament contained some actual historical descriptions of real events.  Course that got a little old once the viciousness of the social morality sank in.

Boredom is not only a chief contributor to inactivity, it is the chief motivator for much of the evil which is emanating from religion in general today.  This is what we need to be addressing, solve the utter boredom problem correctly and you solve most of today’s religious problems, solve it incorrectly and you fill the rolls of Al Queada like organizations.  Today is the time to act,  make a decision to stamp out boredom today.

Not many today can remain still and focused more than a few minutes. They are easily bored. The world of education today is encumbered with the need to entertain every minute rather than instill the virtue of quiet persistence .

It is sad to see the number of people in church with their heads bowed in rapt attention ... to their iphones.

Edited by strappinglad

Not many today can remain still and focused more than a few minutes. They are easily bored. The world of education today is encumbered with the need to entertain every minute rather than instill the virtue of quiet persistence .It is sad to see the number of people in church with their heads bowed in rapt attention ... to their iphones.

At least they are not snoring, I wonder how many of the early Saints could have remained awake during conference.

................................................. in the 1960’s Americans were fleeing mainline Protestant churches for fundamentalism which at least at the time provided some excitement in daring to believe that the Old Testament contained some actual historical descriptions of real events.  Course that got a little old once the viciousness of the social morality sank in.

Could you expand on this a little?  I'm not sure I get what you are saying here.

Are you referring to the "vicious social morality" of the OT peoples?  Or of modern fundamentalists and evangelicals?  Or both?

At least they are not snoring, I wonder how many of the early Saints could have remained awake during conference.

In  many Protestant churches it used to be the job of a deacon to wander up and down the rows of a church so as to hit the sleepers on the head with a long pole.  Early Mormons may not have done that (if they did I'd like to hear about it), but strong preaching styles might have kept people awake.  The Pentecostals and the African American churches keep things very lively (with direct participation in the congregation, shouting out Halleluyah, raising hands, speaking in tongues, etc.).  I think that, like the Methodists in those times, the early Mormons were very pentecostal in their behavior during meetings.

well, if speakers in church would speak up.... good morning my fellow congregants, my name is timothy talaska and today I want to talk about tuna fish salad and tithing

Edited by Duncan

Do you suppose that there will ever come a time when churches will acknowledge that the greatest threat to church activity is in fact not sin, but boredom?  I mean in the 1960’s Americans were fleeing mainline Protestant churches for fundamentalism which at least at the time provided some excitement in daring to believe that the Old Testament contained some actual historical descriptions of real events.  Course that got a little old once the viciousness of the social morality sank in.

Boredom is not only a chief contributor to inactivity, it is the chief motivator for much of the evil which is emanating from religion in general today.  This is what we need to be addressing, solve the utter boredom problem correctly and you solve most of today’s religious problems, solve it incorrectly and you fill the rolls of Al Queada like organizations.  Today is the time to act,  make a decision to stamp out boredom today.

Boredom is a personal choice.  We can choose to find things to be excited about or we can choose to sit back, fold our arms and demand to be entertained.  I am seldom bored and when I am I simply refocus and usually learn something new or at least see a different perspective.

Could you expand on this a little?  I'm not sure I get what you are saying here.

Are you referring to the "vicious social morality" of the OT peoples?  Or of modern fundamentalists and evangelicals?  Or both?

I can't really speak to the civility of the OT people and was not commenting on their society. But during the 60's and 70's there was an attraction to things like the Garden story being real and the Noah's Ark story. This carried on a little bit into later decades with Indiana Jones, etc. there was an excitement to with the so called Jesus freaks and the back to the land movements. So you saw a real burst in growth in non mainstream Christian groups like various fundamentalist groups, the JWs, and unprecedented growth in our own Church. However, the Fundamentalists merged somewhat with the Southern Evangelicals, then morphed into the Moral Majority, etc. That later morphing blunted then stagnated their growth. The mainline Lutherans, Methodists, and Congregationalists just withered into old folks homes for the most part. The Methodists took a stab at trying to regain some attention by emulating the Catholics in a belated attempt to join the anti war movement but they were too late, and they just could not overcome the basic boringness of their message. It is hard to equate what we are doing today in our Church with say settling and developing Nauvoo or the Great Basin. We aren't establishing United Order communities in third world countries, etc. Boredom is deadly once it infects the youth, and you can decry entertainment all you want, but when I was a youth I would not have put up with being preached at for three hours on Sunday, unless the YMs program was absolutely superb. Scouts kept my boys active and they in turn kept my daughter active.

............. The mainline Lutherans, Methodists, and Congregationalists just withered into old folks homes for the most part. 

:rolleyes:

Philippians 4:8 An Idle Mind is The Devil's Playground.

It would be nice if there were lots of church activities to keep me busy. On the other hand, if there were, I might feel worn out from doing too much.

Here are some things I do to overcome boredom aside from the morning and evening prayer and scripture reading.  I write Science Fiction. I blog on this site and other sites, I go for walks or ride my bike. I go for short road trips. I watch Net Flix.  One of my biggest challenges is that I have no companion. It's been almost 9 years now and am adapting.

Road trips. Sometimes I just pack a day pack, and get in my car ... One time I ended up in Yakima, an other time, it was Halfway, Oregon. I've gone to Silverton, Newberg, Hood River, or Astoria.

There are people who have callings in our church. My Calling is Humanitarian Service. They never did tell me what to do, so I got tired of waiting and went and found something. People my age love to have their lives disrupted. I found out that if I was bored or lonely, then someone else was too and we could get together and either have fun or have a pity party. :)

I am thinking of joining the Rose City Astronomy Club. I also a member of a Writers club.

If I have completely missed on this, I am sorry.

I can't really speak to the civility of the OT people and was not commenting on their society. But during the 60's and 70's there was an attraction to things like the Garden story being real and the Noah's Ark story. This carried on a little bit into later decades with Indiana Jones, etc. there was an excitement to with the so called Jesus freaks and the back to the land movements. So you saw a real burst in growth in non mainstream Christian groups like various fundamentalist groups, the JWs, and unprecedented growth in our own Church. However, the Fundamentalists merged somewhat with the Southern Evangelicals, then morphed into the Moral Majority, etc. That later morphing blunted then stagnated their growth. The mainline Lutherans, Methodists, and Congregationalists just withered into old folks homes for the most part. The Methodists took a stab at trying to regain some attention by emulating the Catholics in a belated attempt to join the anti war movement but they were too late, and they just could not overcome the basic boringness of their message. It is hard to equate what we are doing today in our Church with say settling and developing Nauvoo or the Great Basin. We aren't establishing United Order communities in third world countries, etc. Boredom is deadly once it infects the youth, and you can decry entertainment all you want, but when I was a youth I would not have put up with being preached at for three hours on Sunday, unless the YMs program was absolutely superb. Scouts kept my boys active and they in turn kept my daughter active.

Attraction to "The Garden" in the 60's? "Noah's Ark" in the 70's. Ummmm...Such "attraction" wasn't a phenomenon peculiar to the 1960's or 1970's. I would suggest that politicized and Liberal (20th Century) interpretations of the Garden and Noah's Ark is about as boring/uninteresting as it gets...

Considering how much of their lives was physical labour with not a great deal of mental stimulation, they probably welcomed talks and didn't see them as boring at all as long as they could relate to and understand them.

Boredom is a personal choice.  We can choose to find things to be excited about or we can choose to sit back, fold our arms and demand to be entertained.  I am seldom bored and when I am I simply refocus and usually learn something new or at least see a different perspective.

These days I only get bored when the bane of my existence makes it too difficult to concentrate...nothing more annoying than trying to listen to something while an invisible demon is stabbing me with a long needle attached to electrical wires...or the ants decide to join in by crawling up and down my legs and back...on the inside of the skin.  Fun, fun, fun,.....

It has not been a good couple of days and I have to admit I am less than sympathetic to those whose problem is boredom.  My surly brain is smirking and demanding that they grow up and be grateful they have the leisure to be bored and are not driven to it by being locked in solitary confinement in a gulag...or something more can relate to....stuck in a dentist chair with the sound of a drill approaching...you would be begging for boredom then.  My mind is filled with enough info and ideas that left alone I am never bored, never unable to find a new twist to looking at things...or in desperate moments even imagining what I would do to redesign the building...

Attraction to "The Garden" in the 60's? "Noah's Ark" in the 70's. Ummmm...Such "attraction" wasn't a phenomenon peculiar to the 1960's or 1970's. I would suggest that politicized and Liberal (20th Century) interpretations of the Garden and Noah's Ark is about as boring/uninteresting as it gets...

Not sure what the politicized and Liberal interpretation is, I personally tend to be a literalist when it comes to the Old Testament and adherence to the organization set forth in the Bible was what attracted me to the Church, that and the fact that the Ward I was in was really into gardening, singing, storing food, and missionary work.  Being a University Town it was fairly liberal -- back then it would have been considered politically centrist, by todays standards it would be considered liberal.  The point was that there was an enthusiastic interest in back then in a God that actually existed and actually intervened supranaturally in historical events.  This was not a liberal/conservative viewpoint -- but rather a reaction to mainline Christianity which seemed pretty tame and pretty dead aimed more at enforcing certain social views than actually teaching about what God was like and what we were supposed to be doing (as opposed to what we weren't suppose to be doing).  We still do a very good job of that compared to the rest of Christianity.

These days I only get bored when the bane of my existence makes it too difficult to concentrate...nothing more annoying than trying to listen to something while an invisible demon is stabbing me with a long needle attached to electrical wires...or the ants decide to join in by crawling up and down my legs and back...on the inside of the skin.  Fun, fun, fun,.....

It has not been a good couple of days and I have to admit I am less than sympathetic to those whose problem is boredom.  My surly brain is smirking and demanding that they grow up and be grateful they have the leisure to be bored and are not driven to it by being locked in solitary confinement in a gulag...or something more can relate to....stuck in a dentist chair with the sound of a drill approaching...you would be begging for boredom then.  My mind is filled with enough info and ideas that left alone I am never bored, never unable to find a new twist to looking at things...or in desperate moments even imagining what I would do to redesign the building...

I don't find it boring but it is quite distracting and even makes it difficult to carry on a conversation with myself.  Oh don't forget the shoulder pain too.

I live in the East as you, but Southeast and I have seen the extremes that many Churches have gone to, too deal with what many call boredom. I am surrounded by many small and large Churches where choirs one sang, entire rock bands fill the stage for the entertaining of young people, Church services look like swap meets, with no attempt at a dress code, smaller Churches are just smaller examples of the same. I do not go to Church to be entertained, but for spiritual uplift...we as members share in being bored or not, or have I grown so old. Being bored in Church is nothing new to Church, but certainly seems a more appropriate excuse in the "Latter-days".

To be fair I think Priesthood meetings would improve if, whenever the teacher admits not reading the lesson in advance or just has people read passages at random, everyone as one stood and just walked out and humiliated the teacher.

I blame the public school system. Growing up rewarded for enduring hours of tedious boredom we lost our ancestor's vigor that led them to boo or chuck things at lousy speakers.

Edited by The Nehor

To be fair I think Priesthood meetings would improve if, whenever the teacher admits not reading the lesson in advance or just has people read passages at random, everyone as one stood and just walked out and humiliated the teacher.

I blame the public school system. Growing up rewarded for enduring hours of tedious boredom we lost our ancestor's vigor ted them to boo or chuck things at lousy speakers.

Lol....love it