Flatbread With Roasted Garlic And Cambozola Cheese

MorningStar

For all of the foodies here. :D  I made a close copy of my favorite dish at a restaurant we used to have here.

First of all, start roasting the garlic.  Take a whole head and cut off the top.  Spread a little butter on the exposed garlic cloves, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, set it on some foil, and drizzle it with a little olive oil.

Wrap the foil around it and put it on a cookie sheet in case the oil leaks out.  Put it in the oven while it's still cold and set the temp to 300 degrees.  Bake it for 60 minutes.  This is what works perfect in my oven.  Once it's done, the cloves start to poke up and they're really soft.  I squeeze them out and mash them with a fork so it's really easy to spread.

Meanwhile, use your favorite pizza dough and roll it out thin.  Trader Joe's works great and it's a little more than a dollar.  Brush the whole crust with olive oil, sprinkle on a little rosemary, parsley, and parmesan cheese.  Bake at 450 for about 8 minutes.  Cut it into slices, and spread on the garlic and cambozola cheese.  You might want to dip it in a little olive oil too.

Hope you try it and love it!  It's Conference weekend, which means I can stay home and have garlic breath.  :lol:

For all of the foodies here. :D I made a close copy of my favorite dish at a restaurant we used to have here.

First of all, start roasting the garlic. Take a whole head and cut off the top. Spread a little butter on the exposed garlic cloves, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, set it on some foil, and drizzle it with a little olive oil.

Wrap the foil around it and put it on a cookie sheet in case the oil leaks out. Put it in the oven while it's still cold and set the temp to 300 degrees. Bake it for 60 minutes. This is what works perfect in my oven. Once it's done, the cloves start to poke up and they're really soft. I squeeze them out and mash them with a fork so it's really easy to spread.

Meanwhile, use your favorite pizza dough and roll it out thin. Trader Joe's works great and it's a little more than a dollar. Brush the whole crust with olive oil, sprinkle on a little rosemary, parsley, and parmesan cheese. Bake at 450 for about 8 minutes. Cut it into slices, and spread on the garlic and cambozola cheese. You might want to dip it in a little olive oil too.

Hope you try it and love it! It's Conference weekend, which means I can stay home and have garlic breath. :lol:

What is cambozola cheese? Don't have a lot of variety of cheeses in the stores around here.

We just purchases some premade uncooked flatbread from Costco, I think I will try it with that as soon as I can get my hands on some garlic and something resembling your chosen version...

Edited by calmoriah

What is cambozola cheese? Don't have a lot of variety of cheeses in the stores around here.

It's a spreadable cheese with some blue cheese in it.  Tastes kind of buttery.  You should find it in the special cheese section close to the deli in stores, not by the cheddar and string cheese.  :D 

Unless things have changed lately we are lucky to get gouda and goat cheese even in the speciality section. I miss Canada.

So is it closer to ricotta or cream cheese or goat cheese? I am thinking I could mix one of those with blue cheese...

Unless things have changed lately we are lucky to get gouda and goat cheese even in the speciality section. I miss Canada.

So is it closer to ricotta or cream cheese or goat cheese? I am thinking I could mix one of those with blue cheese...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambozola

Looks like kind of like cream cheese with cambozola?  Maybe brie with gorgonzola would work? 

So, how does one unpeel garlic without taking the cloves apart and peeling each one?

You cut off the top (the pointy part), which exposes the garlic cloves.  This causes some garlic waste, so I use some for a salad dressing.  :D

Hope you try it and love it!  It's Conference weekend, which means I can stay home and have garlic breath.  :lol:

I would loovve to try this, but anymore if I eat garlic, no one... no one... can stand me for about a week.  And I love hot garlic bread, etc.

GG

You cut off the top (the pointy part), which exposes the garlic cloves.  This causes some garlic waste, so I use some for a salad dressing.  :D

Or.....

If raw, there are tubes of rubber/garlic peelers*** that one rolls the garlic cloves in that tends to remove the skin, but I find the fastest way is to smash the clove with the flat of a large thick knife (french chef knife works best, see below) which loosens the skin even if the clove is no longer whole and may require a bit of picking off skin.

If you don't know what a "french chef knife" is, here is the image (a heavier good knife is well worth the investment for how much better and more versatile...the ceramic knives work for this as well though I am reluctant to use it quite so vigorously to smash the clove so it takes a bit more picking off...and talk about how smooth they cut, highly recommend them):

GEE_Cooks_Knife_12.jpg

This is the shape I've used:

http://www.amazon.com/Zak-Designs-E-Z-Rol-Garlic-Peeler/dp/B00004RDDP

GarlicPeeler.jpg

This one has a different shape that may work better to not have to keep shoving the cloves back inside so you can roll it hard which works better:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YTFV4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00004RDDP&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0FM7RC037A82V00TAD09

Costco also sells peeled garlic cloves in bulk.  You can freeze them if you can't get through one bag before they get moldy:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf39794422.tip.html

Edited by calmoriah

Or.....

If raw, there are tubes of rubber/garlic peelers*** that one rolls the garlic cloves in that tends to remove the skin, but I find the fastest way is to smash the clove with the flat of a large thick knife (french chef knife works best, see below) which loosens the skin even if the clove is no longer whole and may require a bit of picking off skin.

If you don't know what a "french chef knife" is, here is the image (a heavier good knife is well worth the investment for how much better and more versatile...the ceramic knives work for this as well though I am reluctant to use it quite so vigorously to smash the clove so it takes a bit more picking off...and talk about how smooth they cut, highly recommend them):

GEE_Cooks_Knife_12.jpg

This is the shape I've used:

http://www.amazon.com/Zak-Designs-E-Z-Rol-Garlic-Peeler/dp/B00004RDDP

GarlicPeeler.jpg

This one has a different shape that may work better to not have to keep shoving the cloves back inside so you can roll it hard which works better:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YTFV4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00004RDDP&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0FM7RC037A82V00TAD09

Costco also sells peeled garlic cloves in bulk.  You can freeze them if you can't get through one bag before they get moldy:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf39794422.tip.html

In this case though, you don't want to separate the cloves.  You roast the whole head.  :)  If you look it up on YouTube, they have a demo.

I thought she was asking in general...if roasting, slicing off the top and squeezing the gooey goodness out works beautifully and if one is concerned about losing some, just buy another head as they are cheap.   :)

Edited by calmoriah

I thought she was asking in general...if roasting, slicing off the top and squeezing the gooey goodness out works beautifully and if one is concerned about losing some, just buy another head as they are cheap.   :)

I'll have to experiment and see how it turns out if I were to separate the cloves.  :D  My sister sautees them in a pan sometimes, but it's easy to burn them.  Burnt garlic is the worst. 

Here's a warning:  Roasted garlic tastes so much milder, but you won't smell milder or quite realize just how much you are eating when you can't seem to get enough. It's also delicious in mashed potatoes.  Mmmmmmmmm .......

Here's a warning:  Roasted garlic tastes so much milder, but you won't smell milder or quite realize just how much you are eating when you can't seem to get enough. It's also delicious in mashed potatoes.  Mmmmmmmmm .......

Yes, I won't eat roasted garlic if I plan on having to leave the house the next day.   :)

I often will eat a head all by myself and maybe even a couple during the day.

It is very healthy.

Edited by calmoriah

Yes, I won't eat roasted garlic if I plan on having to leave the house the next day.   :)

I often will eat a head all by myself and maybe even a couple during the day.

It is very healthy.

I know it's healthy... and occasionally I'll throw caution to the wind and eat some if I know I won't be going anywhere... living alone I never know if my breath if fresh... My cat, Bob, likes to smell my breath when I'm holding him.  I chuckle because sometimes he'll put his little nose next to my mouth and then he'll go pfft! and shake his head... and I'll say to him, That bad, huh?   

My cat is so funny... sometimes I watch "My Cat From Hell" on Animal Planet where this fellow goes into homes and helps correct the problem behaviors of cats... some literally seeming from hell.  Then I look at my Bob... so smart, beautiful and loving.  I got him at the shelter when he was about 2 years old... I say to him, How did I ever luck out to get such a wonderful big boy as you!!  He is 20 lbs, and all of his "quirks" are lovable...

GG