Seriously No Politics ×

Reasons For Being Banned?

JLHPROF

I have been reading through some of the older topics on this site, and I can't help notice how many users were banned after making hundreds or thousands of posts.

Do people regularly get banned unexpectedly from this board and what sort of violations would lead to a long term member getting banned?

Just curious, being new here I would hate to be banned unexpectedly.

Be respectful of each other. This should be a matter of common sense, but we have a detailed list below of the kind of behavior that won't be tolerated. 

• Mocking each others' beliefs
  • Judging others
  • Personal attacks. You may dispute a member's opinion, but you may not label them for having that opinion.
  • Psychoanalyzing others
  • Attempting to provoke people
  • Posting IRL info about board members
  • Profanity and vulgarity
  • Pretending to be someone you aren't, namely, posing as an ex-Mormon when you clearly are not. This only leads to feelings of hostility. We will allow inconsistencies in your story to be pointed out for the purpose of protecting anyone here you are trying to deceive.
  • Altering members quotes on the board
  • Quoting members in your signature without obtaining their permission
  • Choosing offensive avatars or signatures
  • Copying and pasting material and claiming it as your own or posting anything copyrighted
  • Derailing threads with irrelevant or unwanted commentary (i.e. If a discussion is about the nature of the Godhead, don't inject comments like, "There is no God." You can start your own thread about evidences of God's existence.)
  • Telling others how to behave. Anything you find objectionable should be reported using the button located in each post.
  • Refusing to provide appropriate references to support your statements
  • Badgering a participant for an answer when it has already been given
  • Creating another user name while you are suspended. This will result in being banned permanently
  • Creating another user name to send a private message to a member who has blocked you from doing so. You are not entitled to contact anyone who doesn't want to be contacted.
  • Violating standard rules of debate such as extreme comparisons and hyperbole

And those are just a few of the rules.

Edited by Robert F. Smith

I think there have only been two posters I've been surprised about being banned from the forum...it is usually pretty easy to see it coming.

A number seem to have decided it is time to leave the board or for whatever reason they allow themselves to cross the line, going out with a bang so to speak.

Edited by calmoriah

Of course, I read the rules that lead to banning.  My surprise was that there were so many people who had made over 1000 posts before being banned.  I just wondered if there was anything not enumerated on the list.

Of course, I read the rules that lead to banning.  My surprise was that there were so many people who had made over 1000 posts before being banned.  I just wondered if there was anything not enumerated on the list.

Yes if you create more work for us just about anything could get you banned. Sneeze wrong and poof skyla will eat you!

She's a man eater. And for me my only rule is obey the fist! And sometimes we do mass beheading err bannings on mod bdays or if a mod needs a quick pick me up cause they had a rough day. Nothing makes a mod smile more than to ban someone.

Nemesis

You better be careful in what you say. Even if you spell something rong they will ban you.

Mola he have warned you before you are now banned.

You better be careful in what you say. Even if you spell something rong they will ban you.

Mola he have warned you before you are now banned.

Oh I see I am banned for spelling wrong wrong? Geeze!!

Yes, you are. Next time it will be permanent.

I have been reading through some of the older topics on this site, and I can't help notice how many users were banned after making hundreds or thousands of posts.

Do people regularly get banned unexpectedly from this board and what sort of violations would lead to a long term member getting banned?

Just curious, being new here I would hate to be banned unexpectedly.

Be careful. Questioning banning is a bannable offense.

This is the most a mod has ever contributed to a conversation in my memory. But then my memory is short having racked up my posts in about a year. I'm quite pleased with the fact that despite occasional ranting I've only been banned from 1 or possibly 2 threads in all that time. Or maybe the mods are just a little more patient with me given I've got a slightly chubby endearing bird as an avatar.

Have you noticed you can make it look like you're being modded simply by putting a couple of lines after your post and typing in red? Oooh... I had a little frisson of power.

Yes if you create more work for us just about anything could get you banned. Sneeze wrong and poof skyla will eat you!

She's a man eater. And for me my only rule is obey the fist! And sometimes we do mass beheading err bannings on mod bdays or if a mod needs a quick pick me up cause they had a rough day. Nothing makes a mod smile more than to ban someone.

Nemesis

Skyla, huh.

The Juliann legend lives on.

Nemesis

I will eat you if you spell my name incorrectly.

What is limited status?

It was, I think, because I got banned from threads so much because I tend to derail topics, according to the MODS. Finally, my punishment was to be on "limited" status. I'm only allowed 12 posts per day and I'm unable to give rep points or see who gives them to me, and I cannot start topics.

It was, I think, because I got banned from threads so much because I tend to derail topics, according to the MODS. Finally, my punishment was to be on "limited" status. I'm only allowed 12 posts per day and I'm unable to give rep points or see who gives them to me, and I cannot start topics.

Don't be sad. I have to be careful not to do the same thing myself. Being a writer and getting older, my mind tends to wander. Unavoidably it seems like part of my mind is reviewing life, wondering if it should have been different. :)

Seems like you can answer your own question then. We don't discuss moderation actions. Unless it's a banning which makes us happy. Ban ban ban!

Nemesis