Seriously No Politics ×

Your Favorite Music

I was never into really hard rock. In the 60's I was listening to Barry Mcguire, Mommas and the Poppas. Somehow when it came along I missed Def Leopard, and those guys. In the 70's, 80's and 90's I was listening to contemporary "Christian" rock, Yeah, AS IF !  When the devastation of my divorce hit, I went back and discovered head banger rock, Queen, and anything loud and with a heavy beat played as loud as I could. In my Muslim years, I knew that Music except for Drums was like so totally Haraam !  It was like totally forbidden. Strings were said to call the evil Jenn. Haraam Haraam. In truth, music is what makes my heart beat, my blood flow, my body stay warm. I started listening to Ga Ga, Taylor Swift, Queen, Adele, and all that.

There are certain pieces that really described a time in my life. For a while after the Divorce, "Where did you go" by Ft Minor, "What Do You Want From Me?" by Adam Lambert, and "Paralyzer" by Finger 11 made me feel alive, and frequently I would listen to them while the tears ran down my face.

Then the Mormons happened ... The idea of embracing a belief in Jesus Christ, ask for and expect to get forgiveness, and trust The People of The Book again really frightened me, and there was just lots of laying awake at night wondering where this was all going.  When it was the worst,  I loved to get comfort by listening to "More Holiness Give Me" on Youtube. I really liked Jenny Phillips arrangement of it and set about memorizing it. Later came EFI, and a host of other Mormon inspired music. I did not really like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir at first because it felt too busy, but it has grown on me. These days, along with Mormon music, I really like Katherine Jenkins, and pieces like "Spem in Alium", by Thomas Tallis.

I'd really like to read about your favorite music, as long as it is not "She up an stole my dawg" Western.  :)

Music has always been an important part in my life, as it is for everyone. And I like to think I have a very eclectic taste in music. My favorite band since high school has been Alter Bridge (their music has gotten me through some pretty dark times in my life, and several of their songs are extremely meaningful to me), but I'm a fan of many different styles. Alter Bridge is a hard rock band, but my favorite genres are the more soulful kinds, like soul and blues. I also love country music, gospel, heavy metal, some hip hop, a little bit of jazz, pop, New Age, and several styles of rock.

This is my favorite song ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz_j7nVCJJ0

Edited by altersteve

I'm pretty into electronica, such as trance, house, industrial, and so on.

For what I listen to all day here's my Pandora profile's stations:

http://www.pandora.com/profile/stations/cyberherbalist

As I am writing this I am listening to Boston -- "Foreplay / Long Time"

But I am more often listening to such artists as Tiesto, Armin van Buuren, Ulrich Schnauss, Kaskade, Lindsey Stirling and Paul van Dyck.  Oh, and Chicane.

In my teenage years I was in a basement rock band, and we played Cream, some Rolling Stones, and a few of the bands current in the mid-60's.  I was lead guitarist, but although I still have a guitar I hardly ever play it.  My brother, who was in my band briefly, has kept up his skills and even improved on them.  He can play Led Zeppelin's "Stiarway to Heaven" -- picking it!  Amazing.

Edited by Stargazer

I like just about everything, honestly. Right now I'm listening to Puccini's Tosca, but on the way to work I had the Ramones on the iPod. I even like some "she up and stole my dawg" music (George Jones was brilliant). But to narrow to some favorites:

Neil Young

The Clash

Alison Krauss

Anything Brian Wilson touches

Billie Holliday

Beatles

Magnetic Fields

Belle and Sebastian

Eminem

If I need to wake up, I listen to this (warning, a bit of profanity):

Art Brut: "Axl Rose"

Wow! Favorite music?  Hard to pin down.  Those noted with an asterisk are ones where I really, really like some songs, but wouldn't buy an entire album of their music.

Anne Murray

The Beatles

The Doors

Mozart

Jethro Tull

Billy Joel

Foreigner

The Beach Boys

Bach

*Janis Ian

*Taylor Swift

*Lady Gaga

Blondie

Kenny G

Andrew Llloyd Webber and Tim Rice

*Train

Madonna

Beethoven

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

*MoTab

Christopher Cross

Breakfast in America

Electric Light Orchestra

Cat Stevens

Crosby, Stills, Nash (and Young)

Abba

It's funny, I never was much of a Stones fan . . .

Edited by Mark Beesley

This is driving me crazy. There was a band in the early 1970's female vocalist with black hair. I can picture them in their video. The song starts off with a guitar part and then they all join in. I think they were Scandinavian or at least she was. She has since passed on. She said once in an interview she was reclusive despite her fame. She only died in say the last ten years. I want to know the song!!!! any hints as to what it might be?

I like just about everything, honestly. Right now I'm listening to Puccini's Tosca, but on the way to work I had the Ramones on the iPod. I even like some "she up and stole my dawg" music (George Jones was brilliant). But to narrow to some favorites:

Neil Young

The Clash

Alison Krauss

Anything Brian Wilson touches

Billie Holliday

Beatles

Magnetic Fields

Belle and Sebastian

Eminem

If I need to wake up, I listen to this (warning, a bit of profanity):

Art Brut: "Axl Rose"

Did you ever hear of the Magnetic Zeros? LOL

This is driving me crazy. There was a band in the early 1970's female vocalist with black hair. I can picture them in their video. The song starts off with a guitar part and then they all join in. I think they were Scandinavian or at least she was. She has since passed on. She said once in an interview she was reclusive despite her fame. She only died in say the last ten years. I want to know the song!!!! any hints as to what it might be?

Not Abba? No, I suppose not.  Carly Simon?  Grace Slick?  http://tripletmom.hubpages.com/hub/Influential-Female-Singers-of-the-1970s

My faves:

Queen

Jefferson Airplane

The Ardbirds

The Who

Pantera

Rage Against the Machine

One Day as a Lion

Tool

Patti Smith

Bruce Springstein

Street Sweeper Social Club

A Perfect Circle

Black Sabbath

Motley Crue

The Hippos

Dropkick Murphy's

Millencolin

Pennywise

Bad Religion

Fenix Tx

The Donnas

The Lunachicks

Anti-Flag

Nofx

Social Distortion

Johnny Cash

Reel Big Fish

The Mighty Bosstones

System of a Down

The Circle Jerks

Black Flag

Cyprus Hill

Audioslave

Rise Against

Black Pacific

Sex Pistols

No Use for a Name

Subhumans

The Casualties

Dead Kennedy's

White Zombie

Marilyn Manson

Halestorm

Otep

Drain STH

Slipknot

Hell Yeah

Damage Plan

Six Feet Under

Slayer

Cannibal Corpse

Superjoint Ritual

Down

Opeth

Straight Line Stitch

Mudvayne

Kittie

For popular music, I like what I grew up with. But the last ten years or longer I have been reaching back to the generation of my parents and grandparents. Johnny Mercer, Jo Stafford, The Andrews Sisters, early and late Frank, Ella Fitzgerald, Dean Martin, Bobby Darin. Sammy's Birth of the Blues. Wow.

When the rock and roll generation turned its back on this sound, they lost something that is continuous with it.

You can find later versions of it, but this is my favorite video of Sammy, young, athletic, and very smooth of voice. 1954. I can get a little bored with Woodstock and what followed. Only a little. I still listen. But if I could be there live, I think I could listen (and watch) Sammy nurse, rehearse, and give out the news about that old Southland all day long.

It was Shocking Blue!!! the song is called "Venus" the singer was Dutch! thank you!

Duncan...oh yeah junior high days on the radio. Here is another female vocalist that was kind of a one hitter that really knocked it out of the park. Same era. Enjoy: 

Regardless of my opinion of Country Music,  You can't go wrong with Johnny Cash. For he is an nice guy

I think there is good country and some bad country music.  One of my favorite country entertainers is/was Chris LeDoux.

My favorites:

60s & 70s Folk Pop - my parent's fault

(Simon & Garfunkel, John Denver, The Mamas and the Papas, Don McLean)

80s Pop (esp British) - what I grew up on

(Bangles, Bananarama, Belinda Carlisle, Eurythmics, Duran Duran etc)

Celtic New Age - because it speaks to me

(Enya, Loreena McKennitt, Clannad)

Machinehead

Guttermouth

Five Finger Death Punch

Avenged Sevenfold

Spineshank

Mushroomhead

Satanic Surfers

H2O

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Flogging Molly