Seriously No Politics ×

When Mormons Say Hateful Things.

So, it is really distressing to me to have Facebook friends getting on there and saying angry, hateful things about Obama care, and the shut down. I don't know what side of the issues I am on but I certainly can not find anything out from people who are angry and nasty and irrational sounding. It is too much like the past for me.

So, it is really distressing to me to have Facebook friends getting on there and saying angry, hateful things about Obama care, and the shut down. I don't know what side of the issues I am on but I certainly can not find anything out from people who are angry and nasty and irrational sounding. It is too much like the past for me.

Hello Ellen...

This thread is too political and will probably be closed... Why... because I'd lean toward the camp of critics about ObamaCare also.  And I'd have some strong words... then someone else would chime in (like TSS as we are poles apart politically) and in no time the thread would be closed...

The Board Guidelines gives the rules about political threads if you haven't already seen it...

Have a good day...

from the beach on a sunny afternoon following two storms packing high winds with power outages and my prayers that the trees would not fall on my house... I have 30+ ft pines all around me including some next door that if they fall they will fall on my house.

GG

Hello Ellen...

This thread is too political and will probably be closed... Why... because I'd lean toward the camp of critics about ObamaCare also.  And I'd have some strong words... then someone else would chime in (like TSS as we are poles apart politically) and in no time the thread would be closed...

The Board Guidelines gives the rules about political threads if you haven't already seen it...

Have a good day...

from the beach on a sunny afternoon following two storms packing high winds with power outages and my prayers that the trees would not fall on my house... I have 30+ ft pines all around me including some next door that if they fall they will fall on my house.

GG

Geeze, I don't even know what all the ruction is about, so do not possess an opinion. Why do you think we would be poles apart?  Feel free to PM me.

It's not just when Mormons say hateful things. It's when ANYONE says hateful things.

It's not just when Mormons say hateful things. It's when ANYONE says hateful things.

Well, yeah! Even when I was Muslim, all covered up and looking like terrorist, no one said hateful things to me like :) Even when I was Niqabi, people were not so mad I think.

But Mormons are always held to a higher standard. ;)

Ellen, I hate it when people bash Obama, some think he's the antiChrist. I see it everyday from my own family, extended. I'm terrified of any of them knowing my true feelings, I don't think trying to help the uninsured, every one of them, is a bad idea and hopefully Obama and his cabinet will finally get a package that will suit most eveybody needs. Just today on a morning show they listed some very good things that will happen. For instance, insuring those with pre-existing conditions or paid preventative care, etc. The out of pocket may set you back 5 or 6 thousand per yr. but will alleviate people from going bankrupt. But I will do more searching on the matter since it looks like it's going to happen, in fact I heard we had until December to do something, not sure what, I had to quit watching to go to work.

Well, yeah! Even when I was Muslim, all covered up and looking like terrorist, no one said hateful things to me like :) Even when I was Niqabi, people were not so mad I think.

People tend to be a lot more abusive if they can hide behind a computer screen.  I believe politics tends to make those who differ in opinion from you into one dimensional demons so that no matter what happens it is being used to further polarize the population.  I guess it is easier to be angry at someone else than get involved in fixing your own life in a lot of ways.  It provides distraction and entertainment and a sense of superiority for being the ones who see things clearly (as everyone is probably certain that they are in that camp...) and perhaps some people even get somewhat addicted to the adrenalin rush that arguments can create.

well depends on the person saying the hateful things. If It is a troll, they are assholes that are bound to code of Ethics of the Troll. Or they are people with good reason to be hateful with the Obamacare being a bad idea for the whole of the country.

I am not being trolli unless I am speaking as such. I do believe you deserve a serious answer.  It is what I did say before, depends on the person in their reasoning why they hate Obamacare.

People tend to be a lot more abusive if they can hide behind a computer screen.  I believe politics tends to make those who differ in opinion from you into one dimensional demons so that no matter what happens it is being used to further polarize the population.  I guess it is easier to be angry at someone else than get involved in fixing your own life in a lot of ways.  It provides distraction and entertainment and a sense of superiority for being the ones who see things clearly (as everyone is probably certain that they are in that camp...) and perhaps some people even get somewhat addicted to the adrenalin rush that arguments can create.

For me it may not be about what some have to say but my own reaction to anger and hatred. I just can't function around angry people. How will I listen to their testimony in Sacrament service on Sunday? 

1 John 4:20 ESV / 352 helpful votes

If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen.

1 John 3:15 ESV / 244 helpful votes

Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

Proverbs 10:12 ESV / 232 helpful votes

Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses.

Proverbs 6:16-19 ESV / 164 helpful votes

There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.

Romans 1:26-27 ESV / 148 helpful votes

For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Ephesians 4:29 ESV / 94 helpful votes

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Leviticus 19:17 ESV / 90 helpful votes

“You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 ESV / 72 helpful votes

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endur

Facebook isn't anonymous.    Why don't you PM the person(s) and ask the question you asked here?   "When you speak so violently here, how can I HEAR your testimony on Sunday?"   

Sometimes people do not hear how they come across.   Every ward has people who are strongly positioned on some subject or many subjects.  Some of them even believe their political and civil position are inspired of God.    And it is useful to those who are in that position to get feedback on how they come across and that others who love the Lord may have processed the information differently and may  feel differently.

Geeze, I don't even know what all the ruction is about, so do not possess an opinion. Why do you think we would be poles apart?  Feel free to PM me.

Hello Ellen...

I wasn't talking abut US being poles apart... I mentioned TSS (thesometimessaint) and I being poles apart in our political views... so when I have said something along political lines, he has usually taken the opposite position. Fortunately, we are in tune spiritually, so I can abide our political differences with good humor. 

There are some good aspects of ObamaCare... but far more problems inherent in the 2400 page law.   I won't say more here because it would become too political under board rules.

GG