Seriously No Politics ×

We Are Moving To Utah!

bluebell

Cool.

I work in Cottenwood Hieghts which is technically Midvale but its not. Don't ask I don't know why it is a different city. It shares the same zip as Midvale. Anyway Kaysville is a nice area but it is not so "rural" anymore. They have developed a bunch of the area. I would live near freinds. I think that is important. I prefer to live in salt lake county though. I just really hate the cop in Weber and Davis county. They are so petty sometimes. I lived up in Riverdale for a while. Layton is a nice area too. If I were to live out side of Salt Lake it would be the Kaysville Farmington area. I think you will enjoy it quite a bit. I even think you will avoid most of the inversion that plagues the salt lake valley.

The year we have been in North Dakota has been one of the hardest years of our lives-we will definitely NOT have any trouble leaving everything North Dakota related behind!  :D

The cold is enough to make me not want to live there. I can barely stand how cold it gets in Utah. Family keeps me here otherwise I would move to Texas.

The cold is enough to make me not want to live there. I can barely stand how cold it gets in Utah. Family keeps me here otherwise I would move to Texas.

Well hey there's St. George! Where I would want to go to escape the horrible inversions we get! But Texas does have some incredibly cheap real estate, and I hear they are super friendly.

I can't wait to hear about Bluebell's experience. I was going to let her know that in my ward there was a really nice twin home for rent until they figure out where they wanted to live, but too late. It's probably good she's by her friend for now!

Well hey there's St. George! Where I would want to go to escape the horrible inversions we get! But Texas does have some incredibly cheap real estate, and I hear they are super friendly.

I can't wait to hear about Bluebell's experience. I was going to let her know that in my ward there was a really nice twin home for rent until they figure out where they wanted to live, but too late. It's probably good she's by her friend for now!

I could do St George. That is a nice area. I think generally the lows are in the 40's to 50's. It generally does not snow. Sometimes it does. I am not planning on any moves at least for the next 20 years.

ND is one of the most unique places we've ever lived and for some reason I just did not see it coming.  Just in case anyone is contemplating a move here, here are some things to be aware of- 

I'm used to states that have a lot of topographical variety, for example.  We are a family of day trippers and so being able to drive three hours in any direction and find really cool things to see and do that are all different is fun for us.  ND is pretty much the same from top to bottom-side to side.  It does have an interesting patch of badlands but it's small and though fun to look at, there's not a lot to do in Theodore Roosevelt National Park.  Everywhere else, it's all pretty similar.  Grassland, farmland, man-made reservoirs.  You drive three hours in any one direction and it's pretty much going to look exactly like the place you just left.  Not to mention, there's not a lot of attractions.  If you don't like to fish or boat, you're pretty much out of luck.

Also, the people are really different than what I'm used to.  I've met some wonderful people here, but the state is going thru so many changes that it's making the locals really insular.  In general (and not talking about the members, who I've always found to be very friendly), this is the least friendly state I have ever been in.  And the sense of humor is difficult to get.  It's rare for people to smile at strangers-even receptionists are stone faced.  North Dakotans, in general, don't like out of staters.  Many in certain industries, like construction, will refuse to work with anyone who does not have a ND driver's license, phone number, and license plate on their car.  I've seen it in my ward where Utahans will move here and then people will refuse to hire them, even though they are VERY qualified. 

In some ways I don't blame them.  People are coming up here in droves, getting rich (or at least getting by) off their state, and yet everyone who moves here pretty much hates it (and most aren't afraid to tell natives just how much the state sucks).  If I was in their shoes, I'd probably hate out of staters too if I had to deal with that all of the time.

It's also pretty expensive here.  A 3 bedroom apartment will cost about 1900 a month in Bismarck.  It'll cost almost 3000 a month up north closer to the Bakken.  Our two bedroom was 1000 and it was a deal-our landlord is renting it out to the new people for 1300.  Food is really expensive.  Milk will cost you around 5 dollars a gallon on average.  Fast food is more expensive because they are having to pay their workers 12-15 dollars an hour.

In the church, the members are very nice, but the wards/branches have been so small for so long that each one has developed really unique ways of doing things.  Now that there are more members, it seems like it's hard for some wards or branches to change to do things in a more handbook friendly manner.  And it's hard on the locals in such areas because you tend to have a lot of people from similar places like Vernal Utah, for example, who move in all at once, and then complain that things aren't being done the 'right' way or like it was back home.  It creates some contention.  And it's hard for locals too because they really are being taken over.  We have some wards that have consistently been getting 5 or 6 new families a week.  Our stake is growing at the rate of 100 people a month and it's not slowing down.  That's a lot of newbies to absorb.

And yes, the winters are brutal.  Last year it got cold in October and did not get warm again until May.  In fact, we got 22 inches of snow one day at the end of April and had months where the high didn't get over zero.  My kids frequently waited for the bus (in the dark, being so far north and all you don't get a lot of sun) when the temp was -20. 

But, ND was good to us in that it got my husband into an industry that has served our family well.  ND helps many families in that way.  But I would caution anyone thinking of moving up here to do their homework.  Have a place to stay and all that worked out before you come.  Don't think that 20 dollars an hour here is going to be like making 20 dollars an hour somewhere else.  Realize that some towns (like Williston) are so full of single men working in man camps in the oil field that women have been advised not to travel alone anywhere, and not to leave their homes at night at all-not even to go to the grocery store.  Be prepared for the cold, which is brutal temperature wise but also comes from very high humidity making it pretty miserable for months on end.

There are many members in our ward here who are transplants who genuinely and sincerely love it here.  If you know what you are getting yourself into and you like what you'll be getting, it can be a very nice place to live.

Edited by bluebell

Again, Bluebell, this is not about you personally because I don't know you.  I wish you much happiness in the "shadows of the everlasting hills".  But we lose so many LDS friends to Utah.  I just found out this week that another family from our ward is moving to Utah.  

Just my own little pet peeve ..... no big deal.   :give_rose:

As though moving to Utah is akin to dying?  :huh::(:unsure::unknw:

As though moving to Utah is akin to dying?   :huh::sad::unsure::unknw:

It is. Utah sucks. All those mormons and their stupid laws. Nevermind that every were you live you have to put up with stupid laws of some sort.

I am going to go with the everywere you live there is a bubble in honor of stoneholm.

A dear friend of mine's husband used to serve on the board of trustees of BYU.  She told me (and I don't have the time frame for this) that some companies had stopped recruiting at BYU to employ grads because they cannot get the wives of the grads to leave Utah, or more specifically, their mothers.  (Her words, not mine.)  

Now, I love Utah.  I was born there and have tons of family there.  I spent many childhood summers there and we still vacation there frequently.  But I am so glad I don't live there, grow up there, nor raised my kids there.  Our family has been blessed NOT living in Utah because we've had church callings that I'm SURE would not have happened where there are lots of members to draw from.  We gained a lot of growth in those callings.  Many times it was a struggle, but we are stronger because of it.  Our kids did not take the Church for granted and being in a town largely populated by one particular church that did not like us, the LDS kids had to be conscious that others were often curious and always watching them.  IOW, sometimes it's good for us to be in the minority, rather than in the majority.  

If jobs took us to Utah, however, I'd go and soak being SO CLOSE to everything and vacation ELSEWHERE for a change.   ;)

Anyway, for what it's worth.  

Edited by Brenda

We didn't really become a family that relied on each other until we moved far enough away that my husband couldn't go off with a brother or retreat to his family home if it got too uncomfortable at our house.  Not that he was intentionally trying to avoid negative stuff, but he just naturally gravitated to where he was most comfortable as we all do when under stress.  I think it is wise for every family to move far enough away from parents for a time in order to create their own family identity, with their own way of doing things, so they are long enough away from their parents so they break the habit of reacting as children in the relationship and begin to act like adult.  This may take longer and farther for some than others.

Thanks Lady_lullaby.  We've actually put a house in Layton under contract, so if all goes well we should be closing around the 23rd. 

I admit i'm nervous about moving to Utah.  I've never had so many people who have lived/grown up in a place warn me against it to such a degree!  But, it is what it is.  We feel like we are going where we are supposed to go, so come what may we're going to have to deal with it.  :pardon:

We have moved 13 times in 13 years, and lived in four different states so far (Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and North Dakota).  We are really hoping that Utah can become our home and that we'll be able to put down some roots there.  Moving is always scary though.  Even to places that you end up loving.     

So I hope things are coming together for you!  I think with all the warnings there is a good chance you'll be more prepared because of it.  Sheesh - that's a whole lotta movin'!  I hope you do get to put down some roots!  I grew up moving a ton and it has been so nice to be in the same place since my kiddos were born.  I've watched one of my sisters move at least twice a year in her 8 years of marriage so far and I think she's learning that what you bring and give is what you get.  Those times she waited for others to help her feel at home were the times she didn't really 'click', and when she shared of herself she made good friends and made good memories.  Be sure and keep us posted!!  Sending you good wishes and prayers.   ;)

So I hope things are coming together for you! I think with all the warnings there is a good chance you'll be more prepared because of it. Sheesh - that's a whole lotta movin'! I hope you do get to put down some roots! I grew up moving a ton and it has been so nice to be in the same place since my kiddos were born. I've watched one of my sisters move at least twice a year in her 8 years of marriage so far and I think she's learning that what you bring and give is what you get. Those times she waited for others to help her feel at home were the times she didn't really 'click', and when she shared of herself she made good friends and made good memories. Be sure and keep us posted!! Sending you good wishes and prayers. ;)

So far so good! I won't rest completely easy until we have closed but we are moving in this Friday so it looks like all is working out well. :)
  • 3 weeks later...

Tacenda reminded me that I had not updated this thread on how the move actually went (if anyone besides her cares!  :D )

The move actually went really well.  We've been here a little over two weeks and we are all loving it so much!  Our ward is awesome.  Our neighborhood is awesome.  People have come to our door to introduce themselves and welcome us (members and nonmembers alike).  We live within site of four different families that have boys the same ages as my boys so my kids are constantly playing outside and running around, riding bikes and climbing trees.  We are two blocks from our church so the boys can walk there for scouts (with the other boys around us) and the weather has been to die for! 

This morning it was 35 here (high of mid 60s today) and in our old town in ND it was 6 degrees this morning with an expected high of 35.  I know that Utah has real winters, that doesn't bother me.  It's starting winter in October and it not ending until May that kills me off.  I'm very excited about having an actual autumn and actual spring.

And everyone has been so friendly!  I had forgotten that people actually smiled at you in stores or asked how things were going at a drive thru, for example.  You just did not get that in ND and I didn't realize how much I had missed it.

All in all, we feel so blessed to be here.  (Thanks Tacenda, for asking.  :)  )

Tacenda reminded me that I had not updated this thread on how the move actually went (if anyone besides her cares!  :D )

The move actually went really well.  We've been here a little over two weeks and we are all loving it so much!  Our ward is awesome.  Our neighborhood is awesome.  People have come to our door to introduce themselves and welcome us (members and nonmembers alike).  We live within site of four different families that have boys the same ages as my boys so my kids are constantly playing outside and running around, riding bikes and climbing trees.  We are two blocks from our church so the boys can walk there for scouts (with the other boys around us) and the weather has been to die for! 

This morning it was 35 here (high of mid 60s today) and in our old town in ND it was 6 degrees this morning with an expected high of 35.  I know that Utah has real winters, that doesn't bother me.  It's starting winter in October and it not ending until May that kills me off.  I'm very excited about having an actual autumn and actual spring.

And everyone has been so friendly!  I had forgotten that people actually smiled at you in stores or asked how things were going at a drive thru, for example.  You just did not get that in ND and I didn't realize how much I had missed it.

All in all, we feel so blessed to be here.  (Thanks Tacenda, for asking.  :)  )

smiles all around from here!

Tacenda reminded me that I had not updated this thread on how the move actually went (if anyone besides her cares! :D )

The move actually went really well. We've been here a little over two weeks and we are all loving it so much! Our ward is awesome. Our neighborhood is awesome. People have come to our door to introduce themselves and welcome us (members and nonmembers alike). We live within site of four different families that have boys the same ages as my boys so my kids are constantly playing outside and running around, riding bikes and climbing trees. We are two blocks from our church so the boys can walk there for scouts (with the other boys around us) and the weather has been to die for!

This morning it was 35 here (high of mid 60s today) and in our old town in ND it was 6 degrees this morning with an expected high of 35. I know that Utah has real winters, that doesn't bother me. It's starting winter in October and it not ending until May that kills me off. I'm very excited about having an actual autumn and actual spring.

And everyone has been so friendly! I had forgotten that people actually smiled at you in stores or asked how things were going at a drive thru, for example. You just did not get that in ND and I didn't realize how much I had missed it.

All in all, we feel so blessed to be here. (Thanks Tacenda, for asking. :) )

This is good news! So glad for your family. :)
  • 2 weeks later...

Congratulations. I am so glad that it is going so well. I have dear friends in Farmington that we will see during Thanksgiving. I hope the weather holds for the drive from So Cal

Its funny I game with a person that calls themselves sweetpotato that is from So Cal. Ha.