Quote On Our Glasses/cups/buckets (??) Being As Full As Each Of Us Is Able To Receive

canard78

I can't remember where, but a while ago I read something in a conference talk (maybe from Elders Uchtdorf or  Holland... possibly from Elder Maxwell) about how each of us is able to receive a different "amount" of truth and compared it to our cups or glasses (or maybe buckets!) being full of the living waters of the gospel.

It was a compassionate message about respecting that different people understood the gospel in different ways and to different depths. Bit of a 'not run faster than you have strength' or 'milk before meat' kind of idea. The analogy worked really well and I wanted to file the quote for reference. 

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

I would have said IS. Each is, not us are. It is about individual reception, so the singular seems appropriate.

Edited by 3DOP

The whole sentence is a bit of a mess. I'm left confused. But still looking for the quote either way.

Fair enough. I am sorry I can't help with the quote from conference.

There are a couple of places in Scripture that seem to me to speak to the idea. One is Ps. 118, something like, "I shall run the way of thy commandments when thou shalt enlarge my heart." The idea being that our own abilities to receive grace and wisdom fluctuate, hopefully on the increase. Another is kind of corollary in my mind. It is actually from the Pentateuch surprisingly. Can't remember where. Probably Deuteronomy. It promises, "As thy days, so shall thy strength be". Those are paraphrases. Anyway, it shows that God doesn't give us strength according to future crises, but according to the present. He will "enlarge our hearts" (obviously not with without our free cooperation) according to our present need. Again, I think this implies that even our own "cups" if you will, can be of different capacity from day to day. It would follow that everybody's would be different and changing.

I know that wasn't what you were looking for, but it is an important concept which you mentioned. "For what it is worth", in other words.

God bless,

Rory 

Thanks for the links Cal. Were you sharing them for the 'glass-half-full' reference? Nice articles. Not quite what I was looking for. It was something about how our ability to receive gospel principles was limited by our spiritual capacity to receive them. Like if a jug of water was filling a glass. The glass may by full of 'living water' but there is still more water in the jug to receive if we expand the size of the glass to receive it.

... or maybe I dreamt it?

... or maybe I dreamt it?

What you describe sounds a bit like a garbled version of this quote from Bruce R. McConkie's "Seven Deadly Heresies" talk:

"We come into these congregations, and sometimes a speaker brings a jug of living water that has in it many gallons. And when he pours it out on the congregation, all the members have brought is a single cup and so that's all they take away. Or maybe they have their hands over the cups, and they don't get anything to speak of.

On other occasions we have meetings where the speaker comes and all he brings is a little cup of eternal truth, and the members of the congregation come with a large jug, and all they get in their jugs is the little dribble that came from a man who should have known better and who should have prepared himself and talked from the revelations and spoken by the power of the Holy Spirit. We are obligated in the Church to speak by the power of the Spirit. We are commanded to treasure up the words of light and truth and then give forth the portion that is appropriate and needful on every occasion."

What you describe sounds a bit like a garbled version of this quote from Bruce R. McConkie's "Seven Deadly Heresies" talk:

"We come into these congregations, and sometimes a speaker brings a jug of living water that has in it many gallons. And when he pours it out on the congregation, all the members have brought is a single cup and so that's all they take away. Or maybe they have their hands over the cups, and they don't get anything to speak of.

On other occasions we have meetings where the speaker comes and all he brings is a little cup of eternal truth, and the members of the congregation come with a large jug, and all they get in their jugs is the little dribble that came from a man who should have known better and who should have prepared himself and talked from the revelations and spoken by the power of the Holy Spirit. We are obligated in the Church to speak by the power of the Spirit. We are commanded to treasure up the words of light and truth and then give forth the portion that is appropriate and needful on every occasion."

I love that quotation!!! I use whenver I hear the one from Pres. Kimball about never being at a boring sacrament meeting

That's not it either, but it made me laugh. I might NOT use that one in my sacrament talk on Sunday :)

It was a little more compassionate from memory...

I was happy with how the talk went. I've still not found the original quote, but in my searches came across: 

The reader continues: “Thou hast anointed my head with oil, and my cup shall be brim full.” All the others say “dost anoint” or “hast anointed,” so again Coverdale supplies the effective present tense: anointest. The expression “brim full” is delightful and possibly acceptable, were it not for the more excellent alternative in the Geneva text: “my cup runneth over.” The goodness of the Lord is limited if the cup is filled only to the brim; his graciousness actually exceeds our capacity to receive. This interpretation is not suggested in the Latin Vulgate or in the other English translations, and here the Geneva translators have made an outstanding contribution to the final text of the King James version of the Twenty-third Psalm. Nor is its meaning the only excellence of this clause, for in the very sound of the words, the stressed syllables of runneth and over suggest the full cup, while the cup’s overflowing is suggested by the unstressed syllables that follow.

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=180&sourceId=967b3219c786b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

I went on to say:

If our cup is full, to the point of running over, what should we do? Turn off the tap or get a bigger cup?

Psalm 119 talks about growing our heart to receive truth, in a similar analogy to a growing cup.

33 Teach me, O Lord, the way of thy statutes… (34) Give me understanding… I shall observe it with my whole heart. (32) I will run the way of thy commandments, when thou shalt enlarge my heart.

Elder Uchtdorf said: "Brothers and sisters, as good as our previous experience may be, if we stop asking questions, stop thinking, stop pondering, we can thwart the revelations of the Spirit… We can block the growth and knowledge our Heavenly Father intends for us. How often has the Holy Spirit tried to tell us something we needed to know but couldn’t get past the massive iron gate of what we thought we already knew?"
What Is Truth? CES Devotional, Jan 2013