Church Launches New Website On Preserving Religious Freedom

Scott Lloyd

Here's a new array of Internet resources just launched by the Church on preservation of religious freedom.

Clearly, the slow erosion of religious liberties, both in the United States and abroad, is weighing heavily on the minds of the prophets and the apostles. This is a matter that transcends partisan politics and gets at the very core of what we profess and do as Latter-day Saints. It behooves each of us to learn what the Brethren are saying and to do what we can in the effort to protect our liberties in this regard.

The United States is a nation of laws, which seeks a delicate balance of man's laws and religious worship/liberty. Sometimes law of man wins (polygamy) sometimes religious observance wins (release time seminary). I do not see religious liberty as being under attach in the United States.

Here's a new website just launched by the Church on preservation of religious freedom.

Clearly, the slow erosion of religious liberties, both in the United States and abroad, is weighing heavily on the minds of the prophets and the apostles. This is a matter that transcends partisan politics and gets at the very core of what we profess and do as Latter-day Saints. It behooves each of us to learn what the Brethren are saying and to do what we can in the effort to protect our liberties in this regard.

First thing that came to my mind was the freedom needed for our church to keep from having to marry SSA couples in the temple. Other than that, freedoms are being taken from religions in the USA that are new or recent?

Scott, et al

I checked out the site a few days ago and I found it a little ambiguous. I am not from the US so unfortunately I miss some of the nuances that other may see. I am interested to know what specifically you and others see as erosions of religious freedoms the church and others are experiencing??

I am wondering what is driving this push by the church as apposed to other moral or international issues of late?

Thanks

Paddy

... I am interested to know what specifically you and others see as erosions of religious freedoms the church and others are experiencing?? ...

[COUGH-COUGH-COUGH]Obamacare's contraception mandate[COUGH-COUGH-COUGH] ;)

Scott, et alI checked out the site a few days ago and I found it a little ambiguous. I am not from the US so unfortunately I miss some of the nuances that other may see. I am interested to know what specifically you and others see as erosions of religious freedoms the church and others are experiencing??I am wondering what is driving this push by the church as apposed to other moral or international issues of late?ThanksPaddy

I feel the same way. Without specifics confirmation biase rules the day on some issues in the United States, and this is one of those issues.

A Church spokesperson did speak on a anti-discrimination measure in Utah, the spokesperson implied the religious liberty of business agents is under attach because the business would not be permitted to discriminate based on certain classifications.

I feel the same way. Without specifics confirmation biase rules the day on some issues in the United States, and this is one of those issues.

A Church spokesperson did speak on a anti-discrimination measure in Utah, the spokesperson implied the religious liberty of business agents is under attach because the business would not be permitted to discriminate based on certain classifications.

Thanks Foster. Does this relate to The Church being able to limit employment to church members only? I always wondered how the Church here in Australia was able to employ only members of the Church and the requirement to have a temple recommend. We have pretty strict employment laws in relation to limiting employment.

The United States is a nation of laws, which seeks a delicate balance of man's laws and religious worship/liberty. Sometimes law of man wins (polygamy) sometimes religious observance wins (release time seminary). I do not see religious liberty as being under attach in the United States.

As one example, consider the discussion in this thread that I opened on this very forum some weeks ago.

I suspect that the reason you and others do not see religious liberty as being jeopardized or eroded is because it is happening with such subtlety. It's practically imperceptible to those who do not pay close attention to current events.

Hence the need for vigilance that the Brethren are calling for.

I'm not going to regurgitate what's on the website. That's why I linked to it. I'm just urging folks to carefully consider it.

I first got a heads up on this new LDS launch via Daniel Peterson's facebook post. I immediately linked to the site and than to the LDS facbook site regarding "Supporting Freedom of Religion" and invited all my facebook friends to sincerely consider liking that site. The erosion of freedom of religion has weighed my mind as well. This is especially true in the United States where freedom of religion has always been considered an individual right as opposed to just a collective ("church organization") right.

Thanks Foster. Does this relate to The Church being able to limit employment to church members only? I always wondered how the Church here in Australia was able to employ only members of the Church and the requirement to have a temple recommend. We have pretty strict employment laws in relation to limiting employment.

If that's true, and if it would apply to employing people in religious work such as, say, the manufacture of temple clothing or instructing LDS youth in seminary classes, it's one example of an abridgment on religious liberty.

If that's true, and if it would apply to employing people in religious work such as, say, the manufacture of temple clothing or instructing LDS youth in seminary classes, it's one example of an abridgment on religious liberty.

Seminary teachers would very likely be excluded - "U.S. Supreme Court. Hosanna-Tabor Evangelical Lutheran Church and School v. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission states "that federal discrimination laws do not apply to religious organizations' selection of religious leaders." "

Is there any reason to believe that the individuals who work in factories (I do not know) that mass produce garments or temple clothing must be LDS or even meet certain worthiness or lifestyle choices. On the tag of my garment is "Authorized pattern" of the Church and Made In The USA.

That is too subtle some might not catch it.

If it is that subtle most people won't notice it, and most people won't be bothered, (speaking to the wider question and not the very narrow question related to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act).

And if the issues about providing comprehensive health care alternatives to employees of religious institutions are the erosive elements being warned about, then I really won't be bothered.  While I understand the concern, to me that is more political than moral.

If it is that subtle most people won't notice it, and most people won't be bothered, (speaking to the wider question and not the very narrow question related to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act).

And if the issues about providing comprehensive health care alternatives to employees of religious institutions are the erosive elements being warned about, then I really won't be bothered.  While I understand the concern, to me that is more political than moral.

That strikes me as a myopic view. Forcing people and groups to provide services that violate their consciences is immoral.

Again, this transcends partisan politics.

As one example, consider the discussion in this thread that I opened on this very forum some weeks ago.

I suspect that the reason you and others do not see religious liberty as being jeopardized or eroded is because it is happening with such subtlety. It's practically imperceptible to those who do not pay close attention to current events.

I'm not going to regurgitate what's on the website. That's why I linked to it. I'm just urging folks to carefully consider it.

I did not know of that thread. The new Church website make vague references, and with only vague references, there is too much room for confirmation bias.

here is my position:

A Bona Fide Church or religious instutition (BYU, or other religous school) should and must be exempt from many laws governing the general public.

John Doe, agent of a Business, who has particular religious or non-religious beliefs should not be exempt from laws on the basis of personal beliefs as the agent acting official for the business.

Can you image trying to enter a business and being told "Before you enter must swear that the Bible is the ONLY word of GOD, and Joseph Smith was a charlatan."  The negatives from permitting individuals to claim "religious persecution" to get of following neutral laws are far too great in my opinion; such individual religious opting out destroys a orderly democratic society.

Should a businesses agent be permitted to discriminate based on religion, race, creed, national origin? Where does the religious based discrimination end?

Being forced not to discriminate on racial grounds despite the curse of Cain being a religious principle.

What's with you lately?  As much as I appreciate your offbeat sense of humor generally, it seems to be surfacing at odd times and in odd places, derailing threads (including mine of the other day), and so on.  You seem hell-bent on becoming an icon of malcontentment or something (although I'll be the first to admit I'm probably reading you wrong, but I honestly can't figure out what the problem is).  Love troubles?  Do you need a medication adjustment or (more) counseling?

Scott

Thanks for the response and I understand your point. I definately agree with the concept of religious freedom, however I also have learned that the leaders of the church don't usually do something with some precident. I am just trying to get some context around the emphasis of this principle. I will keep looking into it.

Thanks

Paddy

Elder Dallin H. Oaks at BYU-Idaho, October 13, 2009: http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/oaks-religious-freedom

Elder Oaks at Chapman University School of Law, February 4, 2011:

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/elder-oaks-religious-freedom-Chapman-University

Elder Oaks at The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty Canterbury Medal Dinner, New York City, May 16, 2013: http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/transcript-strengthening-free-exercise-of-religion-elder-dallin-h-oaks

What's with you lately?  As much as I appreciate your offbeat sense of humor generally, it seems to be surfacing at odd times and in odd places, derailing threads (including mine of the other day), and so on.  You seem hell-bent on becoming an icon of malcontentment or something (although I'll be the first to admit I'm probably reading you wrong, but I honestly can't figure out what the problem is).  Love troubles?  Do you need a medication adjustment or (more) counseling?

No, no love troubles. I take no medication and have never been to a counseling session in my life. I am not angry, bitter, hateful, depressed, resigned, or spiteful. I am a little itchy from those fire any bites but that is it.

It was not intended to be malcontentive.....the best metaphor is it was more like pouring gasoline on a fire just to see what would happen. And no, I do not think the curse of Cain is a thing.

I agree religious liberty is under threat because so many Churches have gone political and are trying to legislate their beliefs. We have not seen religious liberty under such threat since the days of the John Birch Society's reign of political terror.

No, no love troubles. I take no medication and have never been to a counseling session in my life. I am not angry, bitter, hateful, depressed, resigned, or spiteful. I am a little itchy from those fire any bites but that is it.

It was not intended to be malcontentive.....the best metaphor is it was more like pouring gasoline on a fire just to see what would happen. And no, I do not think the curse of Cain is a thing.

It must be the Robin Williams in you! ;)

Archived