Seriously No Politics ×

Moving To St George ?

So, a couple people have talked to me about moving to St George, and while I would like to see it, am concerned that I might not fit in there. Then I found out that the cost of living there is close to 1/3 less than Portland.

I don't mind 100 + degree summers. I have been to places where if it is 90 degrees you think, or hope you will die. So, hot dry summers may be a good break. I have skin moisturizer.

I have a Corolla with 160,000 miles on it. So, I was thinking of flying down and renting a car for a few days. Then I looked at the Airport at St George. Are there commercial flights in there? Can I rent a car?

On the other hand, there is leaving my Ward that I have become so attached to. Sigh .

I tried to talk you into it once. I think you were worried about the air quality because you have asthma or something? It's great there because it's not by the Wasatch Front or Salt Lake that have the inversion problem.

The commercial flight will have to be to SLC. I'm wondering if they have van's that will take you to St. George. I think I've heard of them before. Or rent a car and drive there. It's about a 4 1/2 hour drive. I'm sure the only con is the heat in the summer.

So, a couple people have talked to me about moving to St George, and while I would like to see it, am concerned that I might not fit in there. Then I found out that the cost of living there is close to 1/3 less than Portland.

I don't mind 100 + degree summers. I have been to places where if it is 90 degrees you think, or hope you will die. So, hot dry summers may be a good break. I have skin moisturizer.

I have a Corolla with 160,000 miles on it. So, I was thinking of flying down and renting a car for a few days. Then I looked at the Airport at St George. Are there commercial flights in there? Can I rent a car?

On the other hand, there is leaving my Ward that I have become so attached to. Sigh .

Ellen

There are now commercial flights into St George. A bit pricy though.

You can fly into Las Vegas and take a shuttle to St George. My son lives in St George and his company runs one of the shuttle services. There is at least one other that I am aware of also. He is a counselor in one of the Stake Presidencies in St George and if you decide to go visit I can send you his address.

Larry P

Ellen

There are now commercial flights into St George. A bit pricy though.

You can fly into Las Vegas and take a shuttle to St George. My son lives in St George and his company runs one of the shuttle services. There is at least one other that I am aware of also. He is a counselor in one of the Stake Presidencies in St George and if you decide to go visit I can send you his address.

Larry P

I was just looking at flight, accomodations, and car, flying into St George. 5-600 dollars.  I am very new to LDS culture and would not wish to impose on anyone, though I did stay in Huntsville while on my Mormon "Hajj" to SLC and Provo. They were extremely nice folk and had invited me.

I have never experienced such love and care as I have felt in the church since my baptism. Oft times I just do not know how to handle it, or what is proper.

Thank you.

Ellen

Edited by EllenMaksoud

Oops, I totally forgot about Vegas, and it's less than 2 hrs. away from St. George. I lived in Santa Clara, a few miles from St. George, for a short time in my youth. They were not happy about newcomers back then. But now there are so many transplants, they probably out number the natives.

Edited by Tacenda

I live in St. George (Santa Clara) having recently moved here after retiring from the Navy after 31 years. I studied and prayed about it out for almost a year before doing it.  One of my primary reasons for coming here was cost of living. Weather was also one of the reasons as neither my wife or I wanted to live where there was a lot of snow.  The most economical option is probably to fly to Las Vegas and either rent a car and drive from there or take one of the two shuttle services that I am aware of and then rent a car here.  My experience since moving here has been wonderful.  Our Ward and neighbors have been incredible in welcoming us, especially my daughter who is in Primary.  The employment center here is wonderful also if you are looking for employment after you arrive.  The community is just right for us.  The area is large enough so that you have many of the shopping type things most people want, yet small enough that it feels like a community.  

I have not experienced any issues with people being unhappy with 'newcomers', rather just the opposite.  I will admit that we were a little nervous having never lived in UT before, but it has been good thus far.   The gospel is true everywhere and the Spirit is resilient.  

I am happy to discuss with you further if you like and answer any specific questions you might have.

I live in St. George (Santa Clara) having recently moved here after retiring from the Navy after 31 years. I studied and prayed about it out for almost a year before doing it.  One of my primary reasons for coming here was cost of living. Weather was also one of the reasons as neither my wife or I wanted to live where there was a lot of snow.  The most economical option is probably to fly to Las Vegas and either rent a car and drive from there or take one of the two shuttle services that I am aware of and then rent a car here.  My experience since moving here has been wonderful.  Our Ward and neighbors have been incredible in welcoming us, especially my daughter who is in Primary.  The employment center here is wonderful also if you are looking for employment after you arrive.  The community is just right for us.  The area is large enough so that you have many of the shopping type things most people want, yet small enough that it feels like a community.  

I have not experienced any issues with people being unhappy with 'newcomers', rather just the opposite.  I will admit that we were a little nervous having never lived in UT before, but it has been good thus far.   The gospel is true everywhere and the Spirit is resilient.  

I am happy to discuss with you further if you like and answer any specific questions you might have.

Lost in Ohio? How did you get that name? I lived near Kirtland for a year and met the Mormon Sisters there.

As to moving to St George, I must pray about it more. I am retired, and use the VA for my medical care.

You never really know an area until you live there for a few years. If you can take a vacation to St. George do so. Spend a couple of weeks there and get a feeling for the area. Talk to people whom are long term residents.

Find the "for" and "against" arguments. IE; Do you have to have an outside source of income? Even semi-retiring to a place is a whole lot different than trying to find work in that area.

What public services are available. IE; Do you have to depend on a private vehicle for transportation? At 160,000 miles will you need a new car? Auto mechanics aren't cheap.

The cost of living is cheaper, but so are the wages. You may find that you would be less well off in St. George overall than you are in Portland. Check it out.

Living in southern California I can tell you 90 degrees is a whole lot cooler than 100 degrees. Older people especially are more likely to have problems regulating their body temperature. 100+ degrees is life threatening, and that is no joking. It is nothing to play around with, or in.

Personal relationships are important. As we age it becomes harder to establish new friendships. If you easily make new friends, and adapt to new circumstances, it isn't so bad.

You never really know an area until you live there for a few years. If you can take a vacation to St. George do so. Spend a couple of weeks there and get a feeling for the area. Talk to people whom are long term residents.

Find the "for" and "against" arguments. IE; Do you have to have an outside source of income? Even semi-retiring to a place is a whole lot different than trying to find work in that area.

What public services are available. IE; Do you have to depend on a private vehicle for transportation? At 160,000 miles will you need a new car? Auto mechanics aren't cheap.

The cost of living is cheaper, but so are the wages. You may find that you would be less well off in St. George overall than you are in Portland. Check it out.

Living in southern California I can tell you 90 degrees is a whole lot cooler than 100 degrees. Older people especially are more likely to have problems regulating their body temperature. 100+ degrees is life threatening, and that is no joking. It is nothing to play around with, or in.

Personal relationships are important. As we age it becomes harder to establish new friendships. If you easily make new friends, and adapt to new circumstances, it isn't so bad.

I am completely retired on a comfortable income. Yes, my car is worrisome, though still runs well.  Personal relationships are quite important.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2010/snapshots/PL4965330.html

I dream of living back in St. George all the time now.  Even though at 16 yrs. old I begged my parents to get the heck out of there back in 1979.  But when I vacation there now, I love it.  Plus, the winters in my hometown of Kaysville are so depressing, the smog & fog is getting very old.  Anyway, it's great and I have relatives there that love it.   

My only worry for you, is that if you like a lot of clothing, how hot it might get for you.  

My only worry for you, is that if you like a lot of clothing, how hot it might get for you.  

There is no reason why she would have to wear a lot of clothing to maintain the modesty level Ellen desires... I can think of styles of clothing made from cotton materials that would cover her completely but be as modest as anyone would want, as well as cool and airy... I have a long kafkan style robe/dress, plus another shorter muu-muu style dress made from this krinkly cotton material that is lightweight and cool... I've seen skirts and blouses made of the same material.  You don't have to wear lots of clothing to be modest... particularly if you sew. 

GG

Lost in Ohio? How did you get that name? I lived near Kirtland for a year and met the Mormon Sisters there.

As to moving to St George, I must pray about it more. I am retired, and use the VA for my medical care.

I taught at Miami University (Ohio) for 3 years.

There is a very large (relatively speaking) retired community here.  I don't find the July/August temps too bad.  Humidity is very low and the dry heat doesn't seem to bother me.  

There is small VA clinic here:  http://www.saltlakecity.va.gov/locations/st_george_cboc.asp

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck!

St. George is beautiful. I have never been to Portland, so I can't compare the two. Now having said all of that, my opinion and anyone else's opinion doesn't matter because it is your decision. You are the one who will be affected by it and, while you may affect those around you, you have to make the decision with your best intentions in mind.

It would seem to me that with such a decision I would want to know what the Lord wants me to know. Therefore, I would be praying like crazy for an answer to the question. He will let you know.

Ellen,

My parents live in Ivins, west of St. George. They retired there. They moved from Provo. My dad goes to Las Vegas to see the VA. I heard they were building a VA hospital in St. George.

St. George Is full of people who are from somewhere else. My sister owns a pizza restaurant in St. George. She bought and then moved there. If you need a job, good luck. There aren't any big employers and wages are low.

The church is strong and dominates local politics. Hope you like conservative politics cause Obama is a four letter word in St. George.

In spite of the overly conservative culture, there is much to love about St. George. If wages weren't so low there we would probably have moved there instead of San Diego. Just for the record, in spite of the overly liberal culture, there is much to love about California.

We visit a couple of times a year and really love the area. Check out the pool in Vejo. It's beautiful. Red cliffs recreation area is awesome in late spring when there is still water flowing thru the red rock canyon. Close to Zion national park, Bryce Canyon and the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

My dad goes to Las Vegas to see the VA. I heard they were building a VA hospital in St. George. 

Hopefully so, apparently there are a lot there according to a comment section of the St. George newspaper and if one goes to Las Vegas they have to be registered in that state and can't use the local VA clinic...so if they use the local VA clinic, for big stuff they have to go to SL.

Don't know if this is accurate or not, it was from an article in 2011.

Edited by calmoriah

Ellen,

My parents live in Ivins, west of St. George. They retired there. They moved from Provo. My dad goes to Las Vegas to see the VA. I heard they were building a VA hospital in St. George.

St. George Is full of people who are from somewhere else. My sister owns a pizza restaurant in St. George. She bought and then moved there. If you need a job, good luck. There aren't any big employers and wages are low.

The church is strong and dominates local politics. Hope you like conservative politics cause Obama is a four letter word in St. George.

In spite of the overly conservative culture, there is much to love about St. George. If wages weren't so low there we would probably have moved there instead of San Diego. Just for the record, in spite of the overly liberal culture, there is much to love about California.

We visit a couple of times a year and really love the area. Check out the pool in Vejo. It's beautiful. Red cliffs recreation area is awesome in late spring when there is still water flowing thru the red rock canyon. Close to Zion national park, Bryce Canyon and the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

The political part worries me, because I am either a very soft Republican or just don't have any politics. Issues are more important to me.  So, you are saying that I would perhaps have to be a "Molly Mormon", what ever that is. :) 

Hi Ellen...

"Molly Mormon" is a nickname given to LDS women who are just super efficient about everything to do with the gospel and culture... they read their scriptures every day without fail... get 100% of their VT done every month... bake their own bread... keep a spotless house and kids... hold and magnify callings to the utmost... lah dee dah dee dah...  

I think of myself as a "TBM" (true blue Mormon)... Molly Mormon runs circles around me...

The male counterpart is "Peter Priesthood"...

There's nothing wrong with being MM or PP... the terms are more in jest IMO... but every ward has a few.  Sometimes I think more of us need to lean that direction a little more... 

GG

Before rushing off, consider the basic question -- what am I leaving behind?

What about family?  What do you enjoy doing in a large city that you may not find in St George. 

Hello cdowis...

Yes, there are some disadvantages to smaller towns... like, in my Lincoln City we don't have the shopping or entertainment selection of larger areas... and our medical facilities while quite good end up shuttling people into Portland or Salem for really serious cases, etc.  But, we have a population of about 8,000 compared to St. George's 50,000+... I can't tell you how often I say a silent prayer as I drive "into town" through lovely nature with low traffic... short lines at the market/gas etc., etc.  There's many advantages to small town living... and, quite frankly, living in St Geo with it's population would drive me crazy now that I've lived here on the coast for 20+ years... when I have to go inland to my doctors I can hardly wait to get out of there and on the way home to my little L.C.  You see, if I want bigger cities, I just go inland... but always can return to my wild and beautiful coast. 

from the beach... GG

edit:  Oh yes... what did I leave behind?  I left behind San Francisco...

Edited by Garden Girl

Hopefully so, apparently there are a lot there according to a comment section of the St. George newspaper and if one goes to Las Vegas they have to be registered in that state and can't use the local VA clinic...so if they use the local VA clinic, for big stuff they have to go to SL.

Don't know if this is accurate or not, it was from an article in 2011.

My father prefers Las Vegas. Closer and they are better equipped to deal with his circumstances.

The political part worries me, because I am either a very soft Republican or just don't have any politics. Issues are more important to me.  So, you are saying that I would perhaps have to be a "Molly Mormon", what ever that is. :)

I have found that there is a nice mix of people that have come from all over the US. I have never run across any mean people there.

Politically it is conservative. The Church is strong and my sister loves her ward. My father was just put in the bishopric and he loves his ward.

Someone suggested that you take a trip there. That is a good idea. There is everything you could need there as far as stores go. And Las Vegas is about 2 hours away if you need a big city.

If you have an income, you could live there cheaply. I was at the pool in Vejo a month ago and a gentleman approached me and mentioned he moved there from Southern California. He had heard me talking about San Diego. He said his retirement goes a lot further there than San Clemente.

If you do visit pm me. I can hook you up with some free pizza.

• 1 month later...

It's fun to hear everyone's different perspectives isn't it?

My husband grew up in St. George, and all (but one member -1 sister) of his family (parents, 2 sisters, 2 brothers, grandma etc.) live there now.  We visit very often - but we do avoid summer visits. . .I am very fair skinned and burn easily.  102 degrees is not my cup of tea!  There are a lot of swimming pools and highly cranked up air conditioners for the summer.  But I still love the beauty of that desert area - the red rocks are so unique and intriguing!  

My father-in-law was a bishop there for several years and is involved in real estate there.  He knows St. George very well.  If you wanted to speak with them (via phone, email, or in person), I would be happy to introduce you.  They are very generous and kind people.  (Although I will warn you, my mother-in-law is one of the aforementioned people who strongly dislike Obama LOL.)  But she is also just as outspoken about how she wishes her ward would do things differently.  I think she is surrounded by many more younger families and she misses 'the old ways' of doing things.

But the fact that they and most of their family have called St. George home for generations speaks to the potential for happiness in the area.   B:)