Seriously No Politics ×

Operating Manual For The Forum

Stargazer

I have been here for years.  But it wasn't until a couple of days ago that I found out that a star in front of the topic means that I have posted in the topic.  This is something I would have loved to know, like, years ago.

I am posting this now in order to see if I can start a topic in which posters who need to know something about how the forum software works can ask questions about it, or who have found something out that they think others might want to know.

So please try to keep the topic alive by posting questions and/or answers! 

I learned that one last year, I think. :D 

I like how you can go into your profile and find rep points that were given and received.  Makes it easy to find my favorite posts.

I learned that one last year, I think. :D

I like how you can go into your profile and find rep points that were given and received.  Makes it easy to find my favorite posts.

Wow, this has paid off for me already!  That's something else I had not known about.

In detail:

1. Look all the way up to the top of the page on the right side.  Find your user name.
  2. Click on the little triangle and pick My Profile
  3. Look to the left and click on the "Reputation"
  4. You will see your posts that have garnered rep points, in reverse chronological order
  5. Click on the little green reputation image in the lower right of each post, and it will show you who bumped you up!

Slick!  Thanks Morningstar!

Oh, and by the way, you can click on the Rep  button at the bottom right of any of your posts in the rest of the forum in order to see who has awarded you rep points, not just in your profile

Edited by Stargazer

Wow, this has paid off for me already! That's something else I had not known about.

In detail:

• Look all the way up to the top of the page on the right side. Find your user name.
  • Click on the little triangle and pick My Profile
  • Look to the left and click on the "Reputation"
  • You will see your posts that have garnered rep points, in reverse chronological order
  • Click on the little green reputation image in the lower right of each post, and it will show you who bumped you up!
Slick! Thanks Morningstar!

Oh, and by the way, you can click on the Rep button at the bottom right of any of your posts in the rest of the forum in order to see who has awarded you rep points, not just in your profile

FYI, if the mods put you on "Limited", then you will not be able to give rep points or view who gave them to you. So try not to get into trouble ya'll. :)

FYI, if the mods put you on "Limited", then you will not be able to give rep points or view who gave them to you. So try not to get into trouble ya'll. :)

Another bit of good information!  There, I gave you a rep point for that!

I feel so excited that I taught you something new. :D 

Now in case anyone doesn't know how to be invisible when you sign in, there's a box to check to sign in anonymously.  That was one that took me a while to figure out. 

I feel so excited that I taught you something new. :D

Now in case anyone doesn't know how to be invisible when you sign in, there's a box to check to sign in anonymously.  That was one that took me a while to figure out. 

I've seen that, but never could think of a good reason why I would not want people here to think I was not looking at the forum. 

Edited by Stargazer

Because sometimes I have just enough time to read a response but not reply to it right away.  I don't want people to think I'm ignoring them.  :)

Is there a way to mark all threads as being read so youo can check the new activity when you visit again? I don't like having to sign out and then back in each visit to see new content.

At the very bottom on the left is "Mark Community Read"  also at the top right is "View New Content" if that helps.  I live on this board, and still learning new things!  

Also if you go to the main welcome page***** and click on the quote balloon on the left next to each forum's name, it will turn all the threads to "read"....

*****http://www.mormondialogue.org/

Sometimes I get confused and click on that when I am thinking I am clicking the star/dot next to the thread title in the forum itself which takes you to the earliest post you haven't read yet and end up having to go through the forum by eyeball guessing where I last read something.  

Also right next to the "Start New Topic" button is a "mark this forum as read"...looks like there are a lot of options for this function.

Edited by calmoriah

Use the "custom" setting on the top blue line of the box surrounding the threads to set how many threads you see at a time and how far back.  The default setting is a month, which is generally fine unless you want to look at old threads.

The search function only goes back so far and sometimes is too picky refusing to search for a particular poster, you might have better luck using google with site:mormondialogue.org though that won't identify by posts by posters.

If you are having problems with replying, play around with the toggle switch in the upper lefthand corner of the reply box to see if that makes a difference.

To remove coding from a copy/paste so it doesn't screw up your post, when you paste something, with it still highlighted, hit the eraser button (in between the toggle swtich and the blue green box that is "special BBcode"....whatever that means (anyone know?).  Then if it is a quote, just hit the quote button.  Hitting the quote button lasts saves you from having to capture and highlight again.

I've noticed a bug where sometimes when I make a brilliant post, it gets corrupted in other people's browsers and the version they see isn't nearly as brilliant as what I posted. Has anyone else noticed this?

:rofl: I get that too, what's up with that! ;)

I am finding that the forum is confusing the delete key with backspacking to another page in certain circumstances (like two deletions or quotes where I've first deleted the quoted material only to find the quote box still there in a row).  Trying to remove an empty quote box with the deletion key just pops me back to the last page.  However, selecting the quote and then using the cut function removes the unwanted quote....and no popping off to a page one doesn't want to visit.