Seriously No Politics ×

Just Got My Mission Call.....

So, a couple of days ago (after a 9 week wait), my mission call finally came in! I had requested an Asian country and I have happily been called to Seoul Korea, Korean speaking (exactly where I wanted to go). I report to the MTC on October 16th, so I have less then two months to get myself ready.

I waited until I was 20 to go (for various reasons, such as death, college, ect) and that has given me time to give myself a well rounded read into Mormon Academia. For example I've gone through Terryl Givens, Richard bushman, Michael Quinn, John Turner, Brian Hales, Gary J. Bergera  and numerous others (I've even given Denver Snuffer a try recently). I've watched/read numerous Fair conference presentations. I've listened to perhaps near half of all of the Mormon Stories style podcasts.

I know that this type of knowledge wont exactly be the focus of my mission (not the reason I'm there obviously), but I'm comforted that I actually have a well grounded background in it.

Either which way, I was wondering if the denizens here had any advise for me as to books/various other things I could do to prepare. Does anyone know of any dialogue articles or books written on the LDS history in Korea (I am under the impression that things are not exactly going well there)?

Should I start rememorizing verses in English and then try to transfer that into Korean, or should I wait until I start learning Korean and then start memorizing the verses directly in that language :nea:?

Any of you folks go to Korea?

How exactly can I learn to eat seafood without wanting to barf :sad:?

I'm all ears to anything you folks have to offer.

All forms of seafood or just some? How about eating very small amounts daily and increasing in size each time as long as no gag response? Desensitisation iow.

Ya, I've thought about doing that. All seafood that I can remember having has left me feeling, at the very least icky (even the smell brings up weird feelings). I'm glad Sushi isn't as big there as in Japan, that is a comfort. I guess that would be the only way to thoroughly confront my stomach with it though. :mega_shok:

You might consider seeing if an essential oil of peppermint or something else when placed in very small amounts in the nostrils before eating could help by overpowering the distasteful smell. Some essential oils may burn so look for something safe. I would assume you will be able to buy some overseas.

A touch of vanilla might help as well. You just want to avoid smelling so strongly that your hosts get suspicious. Perhaps apply some before arriving and then freshen in the bathroom when washing hands before eating so it is more like a perfume...just due to its location for you hopefully helping for taste (smell being a huge part of taste).

Edited by calmoriah

So, a couple of days ago (after a 9 week wait), my mission call finally came in! I had requested an Asian country and I have happily been called to Seoul Korea, Korean speaking (exactly where I wanted to go). I report to the MTC on October 16th, so I have less then two months to get myself ready.

I waited until I was 20 to go (for various reasons, such as death, college, ect) and that has given me time to give myself a well rounded read into Mormon Academia. For example I've gone through Terryl Givens, Richard bushman, Michael Quinn, John Turner, Brian Hales, Gary J. Bergera  and numerous others (I've even given Denver Snuffer a try recently). I've watched/read numerous Fair conference presentations. I've listened to perhaps near half of all of the Mormon Stories style podcasts.

I know that this type of knowledge wont exactly be the focus of my mission (not the reason I'm there obviously), but I'm comforted that I actually have a well grounded background in it.

Either which way, I was wondering if the denizens here had any advise for me as to books/various other things I could do to prepare. Does anyone know of any dialogue articles or books written on the LDS history in Korea (I am under the impression that things are not exactly going well there)?

Should I start rememorizing verses in English and then try to transfer that into Korean, or should I wait until I start learning Korean and then start memorizing the verses directly in that language :nea:?

Congrats on your mission call.

You probably already eat more seafood than you know. Agar agar(a popular thickener) is a seaweed extract. Cattle and chickens are fed a diet rich in seafood. Anchovies are used in many dishes to add a salt like taste, but much deeper, and richer.  You'd never know if you were not told.

The best way is to start slow with things that most people like. IE; Shrimp, firm fleshed white fish, then expand from there. Of course if you are allergic to any seafood dish don't eat it.

Hard to believe that the south korean saints are going to be much interested in the esoterica for which you have been preparing.  I'd spend my time until I go on (a) learning the social korean for the apps that are available, and (b) learning about the common religious traditions and ethnic traditions in the area to which you are going.   Being able to understand where people are coming from already is pretty important to meeting them where they are and leading them forward.

Hard to believe that the south korean saints are going to be much interested in the esoterica for which you have been preparing.  I'd spend my time until I go on (a) learning the social korean for the apps that are available, and (b) learning about the common religious traditions and ethnic traditions in the area to which you are going.   Being able to understand where people are coming from already is pretty important to meeting them where they are and leading them forward.

I agree... being prepared for a foreign mission by understanding the cultural aspects of the region or country is probably one of the best preparations to have... will save you a lot of embarassment or uncomfortable situations... even insults to people... if you are well grounded in the cultural traditions of the area... and the do's and don'ts if you will.  And also, the meanings of certain words and phrases that might be unique... sort of like our slang...

Many parts of Asia have become quite Westernized in some respects... certainly technology, particularly among the younger people... the younger people can be quite different than their more traditional parents and certainly grandparents... but understanding the traditional is very important...

GG

Peppermint oil is a good idea, if I'm having a serious problem that day. I'll probably start having seafood 3-4 times a week. I've also been advised to put hot sauce/pepper on everything to get used to hot foods (something I'm not exactly in love with), seeing that every meal served there is usually served with spices that will make you sweat.

Oh, I read all those books mainly out of my own personal desire to know as much about Church history as possible. I feel its my responsibility as a member/missionary to have on hand answers to any difficult question thrown my way (either in the mission field or when I get back). I never wanted that to be the focus of my study, but I felt I did need the foundation for my own sake. I just feel like when I say that "The Church is the restored Church of Christ," I better know what that entails theologically and historically.

I honestly don't know how readily available material is in Korean that portrays the Church in an overly negative light. I'd be curious to know if there has been in blatantly "anti' Mormon books either written in or translated to Korean. The internet culture is HUGE over there and I would be surprised if nothing has crossed over. Seoul is one of the most wired cities in the world.

As for culture, I've picked up some books to do some reading on the history of Korea and the people there. I also try to find one that specifically focuses on how to understand their culture as a foreigner.

There is a difference between mexican hot sauce though and asian hot sauce.  I'd pick up an hot sauce from the asian section of your grocery store.  I think asian hot sauce allows for more flavour to come through, mexican hot sauce in my experience tends to inflame more than flavour.

You might go online and find the Korean mission website and ask for advice from returned missionaries there.

I bet there are lots of websites dealing with culture and how a foreigner can best adjust given that this is a huge business issue.

Looks like this site was made just for you:

http://preparetoserve.com/south-korea/

also:

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/facts-and-statistics/country/south-korea

There are also a number of missionary blogs out there that you can read.  Just do a search on "south korea" "mission" "latter-day saint" "blog" and that should pull up a number of them.

Edited by calmoriah

I recently spent a week in South Korea. It is a great country with a beautiful people. You already are well read. If you could do anything learn to lone the Savior more fully and by extension all of God's children. I know of few stronger tools than learning the gift of love. You are called to testify with the power of the Spirit; baptism is an individual's natural response to the Spirit's conviction of truth.

Know the workings of the Spirit and to share God's love and you will find the field white and ready to harvest.

Congratulations

Standard Works, Jesus the Christ and A Marvelous Work and A Wonder.

Edited by ERayR

I wouldn't worry about the authors you mentioned because the need for them will hardly come up, besides you probably don't want them with you as you will transfer on an occasional basis.  When I was in Japan I had to carry everything with me by train which was really a headache.  I would, like ERay suggested, vest yourself with the standard works, Jesus the Christ, Articles of Faith and the MW and a Wonder.  The wonders of the gospel are indeed fantastic, but nothing is more serene and soul raising as to understand the basics of the gospel and see the eyes of your investigators lighten upon hearing it.

As to the culture...DO NOT buy any language books here.  They are way too expensive and you will have a companion to show you the path.  I would try a Korea restaurant.  I love Korean food.  Much better than the Japanese.  Also get use to tofu and rice. 

• 2 weeks later...