Seriously No Politics ×

Anti At Pep Boys

Anakin7

Yesterday while at Pep Boys waiting for my car to be worked on a afro american gentleman walked by me in the waiting lobby and 1-3 minutes later he sat down right next to me and immediatly asked me how one is reconciled to God, no introduction of his name just a straight out negative way of asking the question, I thought we had met before but could not remember. I gave him my answer that we are reconciled to God by the Atoning Blood Sacrifice of The LORD Of LIFE, Our LORD, Reedemer Saviour, God, King and Master Jesus Christ. He immedially went on continuious barrage of polemical assaults on LDS Salvation doctrines, Joseph Smiths Charactor and boasting, Jesus and satan as brothers. I responded to his polemics but he said I had a false god,saviour,prophet, and had a false testimony which included my Salvation journey from infancy being Baptized Methodist, Baptized Baptist as a teenager and joining the LDS Church/Faith while in high school. I had to ask him to calm down, [ I myself had to raise my voice slightly to get him to listen to me]. After 20-30 minutes of this machine gun attack I asked him his name and he said Greg Maxwell.

I then remembered we had met years ago with another anti LDS critic Matt Paulsen [A Lutheran]  at a K Mart localy here. He claimed to have read the Book of Mormon cover to cover but could not relate to me the message of 2 Nephi 25:23 from the beggining of the chapter to the last verse in that chapter. He tried to dominate the conversation but I would not let him do that. When I told him that the greek for Faith was pistis and it meant - faithfulness,fidelity,loyalty,obedience,trust [ along with a # of other meanings] he stated that it only meant trust in Jesus alone. He left after this 30 minute attack making sure he had the last word in our conversation stating that joseph Smith was a false prophet.

I reflected on this experience with the one I had with the Nun from Jerusalem [A thread I started a couple days ago] and they are worlds apart.  I forgave him for he knows not what he does. Has anyone else met Greg Maxwell before and had an encounter with him ?.

May Grace be with you all.

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

LDS JEDI KNIGHT

Edited by Anakin7

Had an encounter similar to that while knocking doors in SoCal.  (I'm not raggin' on all ya'all from SoCal ... or from NoCal ... or from Cal ... Just sayin'!  [by the way, Hi, Cal! ;)])  By the way, I wonder where the official dividing line is between SoCal and NoCal ... ?

I then remembered we had met years ago with another anti LDS critic Matt Paulsen [A Lutheran]  at a K Mart localy here. 

You must have made quite an impression on him...which is good I think since he felt he needed to work so hard against you, you likely were seen by him as confident in your faith, etc.

Never heard of either guy. There are not that many of "them". I've had religious discourse with "exercised" strangers before, but not now for many years. If I ran into one of these today, I'd just nod and let him vent, and any interjected commentary of mine would be on the order of: "That's one way of looking at it I suppose. Are you happy with your belief? And if not, why not? If so, then I enjoy being around happy people as much as anyone. Truth, what is truth?" If anyone ever asks me what I believe, I can offer this: "I believe in God as the Cause of all existence." I doubt it will ever go much further than that....

Yesterday while at Pep Boys waiting for my car to be worked on a afro american gentleman walked by me in the waiting lobby and 1-3 minutes later he sat down right next to me and immediatly asked me how one is reconciled to God, no introduction of his name just a straight out negative way of asking the question, I thought we had met before but could not remember. I gave him my answer that we are reconciled to God by the Atoning Blood Sacrifice of The LORD Of LIFE, Our LORD, Reedemer Saviour, God, King and Master Jesus Christ. He immedially went on continuious barrage of polemical assaults on LDS Salvation doctrines, Joseph Smiths Charactor and boasting, Jesus and satan as brothers. I responded to his polemics but he said I had a false god,saviour,prophet, and had a false testimony which included my Salvation journey from infancy being Baptized Methodist, Baptized Baptist as a teenager and joining the LDS Church/Faith while in high school. I had to ask him to calm down, [ I myself had to raise my voice slightly to get him to listen to me]. After 20-30 minutes of this machine gun attack I asked him his name and he said Greg Maxwell.

I then remembered we had met years ago with another anti LDS critic Matt Paulsen [A Lutheran]  at a K Mart localy here. He claimed to have read the Book of Mormon cover to cover but could not relate to me the message of 2 Nephi 25:23 from the beggining of the chapter to the last verse in that chapter. He tried to dominate the conversation but I would not let him do that. When I told him that the greek for Faith was pistis and it meant - faithfulness,fidelity,loyalty,obedience,trust [ along with a # of other meanings] he stated that it only meant trust in Jesus alone. He left after this 30 minute attack making sure he had the last word in our conversation stating that joseph Smith was a false prophet.

I reflected on this experience with the one I had with the Nun from Jerusalem [A thread I started a couple days ago] and they are worlds apart.  I forgave him for he knows not what he does. Has anyone else met Greg Maxwell before and had an encounter with him ?.

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

LDS JEDI KNIGHT

When people do this to me, they usually leave with their feelings hurt...not boasting, just saying.

Never heard of either guy. There are not that many of "them". I've had religious discourse with "exercised" strangers before, but not now for many years. If I ran into one of these today, I'd just nod and let him vent, and any interjected commentary of mine would be on the order of: "That's one way of looking at it I suppose. Are you happy with your belief? And if not, why not? If so, then I enjoy being around happy people as much as anyone. Truth, what is truth?" If anyone ever asks me what I believe, I can offer this: "I believe in God as the Cause of all existence." I doubt it will ever go much further than that....

That's why I tend to struggle with Him being physical or like a man. I think he just appears that way to humans so they're not freaked out.

You are attempting to hijack a thread again. 

That's why I tend to struggle with Him being physical or like a man. I think he just appears that way to humans so they're not freaked out.

"God" is physical through creation. What we call the empirical or physical world is actually less than the whole of reality, since we, the world of humans, derive from an Infinite Cause, which is so Infinite that the entire infinity of the multiverse of Creation does not even begin to measure compared to the Infinite Cause. And we are supposed to worship a physical "Man"? I can't begin to feel so....

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

LDS JEDI KNIGHT

Never had that distinct displeasure. What an encredibly offensive boor.

Utah.

It could never happen anywhere else.

So there! :P  Utah rules!!!!

(I actually prefer California having been born in green and fertile hills there...but Utah's been very good to me even with the heat I can't stand...literally, so I must protest such prejudice as demonstrated by the harsh and false assumption in this post  ;) ).

Edited by calmoriah

I remember Greg maxwell kept attacking Joseph Smiths [ In Greg Maxwells heart/mind] self rightious, pridefull, boastfull statement that he was able to keep the church together and that Peter/Paul and Jesus Christ could not do it and he showed me the quote from a book [i cannot remember the Book title]. He also stated that when Paul boasted he boasted in the LORD in which Joseph Smith only boasted in himself without the LORD.

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

LDS JEDI KNIGHT

Yesterday while at Pep Boys waiting for my car to be worked on a afro american gentleman walked by me in the waiting lobby and 1-3 minutes later he sat down right next to me and immediatly asked me how one is reconciled to God, no introduction of his name just a straight out negative way of asking the question, I thought we had met before but could not remember.

Which once again proves the value of a personal maxim of mine:

Never interact with anyone with an afro.

So there! :P  Utah rules!!!!

(I actually prefer California having been born in green and fertile hills there...but Utah's been very good to me even with the heat I can't stand...literally, so I must protest such prejudice as demonstrated by the harsh and false assumption in this post  ;) ).

I was in Provo this last week and went into Walmart, and there were two random employees working together and while working, they were discussing Warren Jeffs and what they believed about polygamy vs what we believed.

Unbelievable.  ;)

People are quarrelsome about religion because so many believe they are right and all others are wrong. Not just Mormons.

Some get obnoxious about it. They even send out missionaries to tell others.

Anti? Not really, just the perception of some who don't like the message.

Goethe was right about Satan:

Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!    (I am the Spirit who constantly negates!)

Zerstörung, kurz, das Böse nennt,      (Destruction, in short, as wickedness named)

Mein eigentliches Element.                  (That is my own true Element.)

I find it difficult to be offended by anyone's "message." What does offend me is the tendency to fall into Mephistopheles-like attitudes of persistent negativity and destructive criticism.