Seriously No Politics ×

Is This A Man Thing?

We just started a high deductible/HSA health plan and don't have that much to cover us yet, so my husband is sick and he said his plan was to not go to the doctor and just get better on his own.

Our son is getting over pneumonia and our home teacher stopped by with a milkshake for him. It was the perfect opportunity for my husband to receive a blessing, but no.

I suggested he tried inhaling steam like I do, which has helped me a lot. No. He'll take NyQuil, but that's about it.

I got sick and asked for a blessing last night. Again our home teacher came over and my husband turned down one for himself. "I can tell I'm getting better. I can feel it breaking up in there."

I called him today at work and asked him if he was sure he could go to the dentist tomorrow and not cough. His answer was, "HACKHACKHACKHACKCOUGHCOUGHCOUGHCOUGHCOUGHHACK!!!!"

So he finally gave in and I made a doctor appt. for Monday because they didn't have any today. I'm guessing Urgent Care would be more expensive. He's been coughing for at least two weeks now. He got pneumonia years ago and he denies that he ever had it because the doctor didn't do an x-ray and said it "sounded like" he had it. Oh my heck! He had a cough for a month that time and everybody could tell by looking at him that he was sick.

Guys: Is this a man thing? If so, what's a good solution for handling this sort of situation? I'm not a fan of nagging.

My husband is bad about doing stuff besides taking something (medicines and supplements he's done research on his own). If it is something I can just do, like a humidifier, I just go ahead and do it without asking him.

That's the fun part. I can't have a humidifer in our room, but I did offer him the pot of steaming water to try. Nope. *sigh* Due to my allergy, I'm supposed to have a dehumidifer in our room, so when I'm having breathing problems, I take a lot of hot showers or inhale steam.

Lemon tea with honey is supposed to help, so I make some for myself and he won't have any.

Here's a quote from our conversation last night. "If it is pneumonia, I can get better on my own. People have been dealing with it for centuries." I said, "People have been dying from it for centuries."

Tell him B.A. Baracas would totally go the Doctor and if he doesn't have him listen to this

if that doesn't work then tell him that Pres. Monson called on the phone but you said he was sick and said he might call back thereby necessitating his recovery, it isn't lying so much as a potential opportunity to gain the blessings of repentance and you can't turn those away

He said when I called, I caught him at a bad moment because he was moving tables. I asked, "Did you feel like you were going to pass out?" "No. Just when I was coughing."

I'm sure he'll be given sweet, sweet antibiotics on Monday.

Tell him B.A. Baracas would totally go the Doctor and if he doesn't have him listen to this

[media=]

if that doesn't work then tell him that Pres. Monson called on the phone but you said he was sick and said he might call back thereby necessitating his recovery, it isn't lying so much as a potential opportunity to gain the blessings of repentance and you can't turn those away

Very sneaky. Yes! I think that will work from now on. Now to convince him to get a physical every year.

He doesn't have a fever, so that gives me more peace of mind that he'll be OK until Monday. He'll be able to rest for the most part too unless he gets called to emergency jobs.

Yes, it is a guy thing. We like to present a strong facade to the world even though we know we are just little boys in a grown up world.

The funny thing is, he was the one pushing for the kids to go to the doctor because he thought they had pneumonia! He has been sick longer than our son has.

I have to say, I'm feeling pretty awesome after my blessing last night! :D So grateful.

Antibiotics may or may not be necessary. Bronchitis is viral 95+% of the time in otherwise healthy people. Having said that, most doctors will prescribe an antibiotic for bronchitis either because they don't know any better or the patient expects/demands it. The patient then gets better, so it is assumed that it was the antibiotic that did it. Multiple large, well-conducted studies demonstrate however, that they would have gotten better anyway. Temporal association does not always mean cause and effect.

"-itis" means inflammation. Respiratory viruses evoke in us an inflammatory response. When tissues become inflammed, they swell. Swollen bronhci cause cough.

Of course, other things cause cough as well. That's why when one persists or there are other associated symptoms, getting checked is a good idea.

People can get pretty sick from pneumonia. It's what killed Jim Henson.

Thank you! He's been coughing for about 3 weeks. If antibiotics don't work for bronchitis, do inhalers help? I finally started my daughter on amoxicillin yesterday because the doctor said to do it if she wasn't better in a few days. She's been happy and running around, but she has dark circles under her eyes. Probably a sinus infection.

Corticosteroids (injected or oral) can be helpful to relieve symptoms. They reduce swelling and inflammation very effectively. Also, if cough interferes with sleep, a good prescription cough suppressant will help.

Short-acting inhalers can help if there is wheezing. The medication relaxes the muscles that line the very small airways deep in the lungs. When those muscles get inflammed, they spasm. Wheezing is the sound heard as the air passes through those narrowed bronchioles.

Steroid inhalers are used for chronic conditions--poorly controlled asthma or emphysema (COPD). Since they take many days to begin to have an effect and are designed for long-term daily use, they typically are not prescribed for acute conditions.

One time he was feeling really, really sick after a family gathering. He had the chills and we still had to drive home an hour. My mom said, "Do you want a bag for the ride home just in case?" He said, "No, I'll be OK."

He ended up hurling all over the inside of our car. It was so bad, it was like a scene out of a movie. :lol: He struggled to find the door handle and the moment he finally opened the door, it was over.

This is more than being afraid of the doctor. He is resistant to asking for help or being offered help. Why is it so hard to say, "Well, thank you! Yes, I'll take the bag and hopefully I won't have to use it." We spent months trying to get the smell out. I made him swear to never ever ever never ever do that again and take the freaking bag next time.

Mr. MorningStar almost passed out from laughing just now as I imitated that fateful night that is known as "The potato salad incident". He was just telling me again that he doesn't want to go to the doctor tomorrow. It's too expensive. I said, "Too bad. You're going. You have to cancel with 24 hours notice, so either way they're going to bill us now." He says, "Why do I have to go to a doctor to have them tell me what I already know? Why can't they just give me the medicine?"

I said, "You could've had a blessing ....."

"I can't bless myself."

"Our home teacher was over ......"

"He needed another person."

"Oh please! He easily could've found someone to come over and help! You just don't like accepting help, even if it's just a bag for the ride home. 'Oh, I don't need a bag. BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!' "

He said, "Whoever owns that car now, I bet they can still smell it." :lol:

My sister-in-law says there's an unwritten rule that if a woman gets really sick, her husband must get sicker so she still has to take care of him. :lol:

So, he has bronchitis. The doctor says he is very congested in there and it wasn't going to get better on its own. This morning he was trying to claim he was all better and didn't need to go. Yeah. Nice try!

When I was eight months pregnant with my first and had suddenly ballooned up to the size of a whale and was very uncomfortable and was looking forward to some TLC (him making some meals while I'd lie on our water bed), my husband strained his back pushing his sister's car out of a snow bank and had to wear a brace and lay on the couch for a month or so...his dad rented a TV for us to give him something to do even though I had been stuck at home for 9 months and managed just fine with books from the library....I always thought the timing was very suspicious.

However, I have gotten him back many times over since he's had to play Mother and Father for months at a time for about the last 20 years or so (since our second child).

Edited by calmoriah

I knew a guy who broke his arm really bad while sledding with the Scouts. He was taking it over some sweet jumps and ended up needing surgery. His wife was just a couple weeks from giving birth. I think it also healed wrong and he had to have a second surgery.

Cal, I tried to give you a rep point, but it's not working.

Funny, I knew a guy who did that too...don't know if he needed surgery but it was bad enough he was hospitalized for a day. We were pretty bad at laughing at him since it is the scouts that were supposed to do the dumb stuff (I can't remember exactly what he did, but it was hotdogging and he was rather embarrassed). His wife wasn't pregnant though...

Some men just seem to have to outdo the youth to show they've still got it or something.