Seriously No Politics ×

Samoan Mormons' Legal Battle Over Language

JAHS

My post was based originally on the false assumption that there was a language restriction. I know a former mission president who served in Africa and native instruments were off limits in worship. He disagreed with that policy as well. Worship services, imo, should to some extent be culturally identifiable rather than westernized by the American religion.

That's what I thought.

I am uncomfortable with the policy.  But I am thinking that the Church is concerned that if common instruments are permitted in any given culture that eventually congregations in New Orleans will eventually be playing trumpets and trombones for the sacrament song. 

That's what I thought.

I am uncomfortable with the policy.  But I am thinking that the Church is concerned that if common instruments are permitted in any given culture that eventually congregations in New Orleans will eventually be playing trumpets and trombones for the sacrament song. 

But is there really a problem with that? The LDS church has a rich and diverse membership from all walks of life. I believe it is unfortunate and disheartening that how a group of people culturally identify with God in worship is hindered.

The only instruments that should ever play church music are the harp ,the harpsichord(piano if necessary) , the pipe organ, and the bagpipes. Included in the pipe organ are of course the trumpet , the viola , the flute, the French horn , etc., etc. , etc. Drums are definitely out !!! Oh wait , they are a percussion instrument just like the piano. I guess we can leave out the jews harp. Shoot! Foiled again.

Having lived through the 60s and 70s, I do think there can be a line crossed when instruments associated with a particular culture are used in certain of our worship services.  My brother played guitar and we sang a song (All Good Things) from Godspell for his mission farewell, something that was disallowed shortly after that and I would say that our usage of that was appropriate.  OTOH, I have seen songs that were too heavily laded with pop culture baggage so that having them used distracted from the Spirit in my opinion, including another song from Godspell (the one that was played constantly for awhile on air, Day By Day).  By removing the line completely, local leaders don't have to worry about getting into arguments about what is and isn't appropriate for Sacrament Meeting.

I do wish we had more cultural music in ward activities though.  I think the only such music we ever have had in the wards I've been is Christmas music.

• 1 month later...

Sometimes reorganizations of this kind just don't work.  I was in a stake in southern California where a hispanic branch was integrated into an English-speaking ward.  It did not work out.  So the hispanic branch went back to full function independently.  Also, many years ago, a good portion of the LDS Church in Mexico (the Third Convention) seceded from SLC direction, and it took delicate negotiation by Pres. George Albert Smith himself to bring them back into the fold ten years later.  Their demand was that a Mexican be appointed as mission president.  Local control and respect for the local culture is often more significant than some realize.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Convention 

Archived