Seriously No Politics ×

Evangelical Anti Mormon Success?

In order to avoid derailing a previous thread about a notable evangelical church with anti Mormon feelings, I wanted to open up a conversation about the countercult movement in general. Is there any research out there about how successful Evangelical proselyting efforts are? For example even though I don't live in the Phoenix area, I know that there are a few vocal groups down there. How successful are they? I'm curious if large numbers of LDS have joined these types of Churches.

Edited by boblloyd91

I also can only speak anecdotally, but I know that when the Billings MT temple was proposed and being built, there was a local four square church who got very much up in arms about it and tried to stop it from being built at every turn and who protested in different ways as it was being built.

I have no idea how many or if any active members left the church because of their antimormon proselyting efforts but I know that a handful of people joined the church because they decided to check out what we believed for themselves after coming in contact with this church and what they had to say about Mormonism.

I know of about a dozen people who joined the LDS church because of these kinds of efforts. Success.....but not what was intended I imagine.

I'm trying to be mad at the Mormon church right now, but my complaints seem to feel like a child whining.

The EV folk are generally pretty successful at proselytizing, but if one is a real searcher, then you get dissatisfied. One factor that many Mormons do not seem to be cognizant of its that Americans are increasingly hedonistic. I run into a chilling number of people who do not even know the Bible basics; not even knowing where Christmas came from.

Oddly, people I know were more angry with me for becoming Morman than being Muslim. However, one thing that speaks really loudly is success. As Muslim, I was contrite, self hating, depressed, destroyed woman. My then roomate was angry when I started with the Mormons. "Gee Khadijah, Mormonism is not even a real religion".

Like, how would she know? She is a blooming agnosic!

She and many others saw me go from an extremely dangerous state to a fledgling Mormon, and gradually to a vibrant, happy, lover of Heavenly Father. How could they not have questions?

I don't think that Evangelicals are much of a threat to a Mormon that is well educated. The denomination I came from are such haters, who would want them? As a Mormon, I would say just keep being Mormon and let the EV sort themselves out. They are not a threat.

Edited by EllenMaksoud

In order to avoid derailing a previous thread about a notable evangelical church with anti Mormon feelings, I wanted to open up a conversation about the countercult movement in general. Is there any research out there about how successful Evangelical proselyting efforts are? For example even though I don't live in the Phoenix area, I know that there are a few vocal groups down there. How successful are they? I'm curious if large numbers of LDS have joined these types of Churches.

You appear to define success based on a quantitative number that is greater than or equal to "x", Christ celebrates the 1 out of 100 that returns.

Is apologetics a success is anti-mormonism a success? The answer for both is Yes.

You appear to define success based on a quantitative number that is greater than or equal to "x", Christ celebrates the 1 out of 100 that returns.

Is apologetics a success is anti-mormonism a success? The answer for both is Yes.

When you say "apologetics" are you referring to LDS apologetics, or Christian apologetics?

Anti-mormon proselyting sometimes scares people off from meeting with the missionaries, though, on second thought, it's usually because evangelical family members threaten to cut them off. If it's just the straight dope usually the person will just ask the Elders.

I've only seen one "successful" and that was where a convert decided to go back to her old church.

I suspect their only "success" would be in preventing people from joining the Church, or even wanting to learn about it.

The number of LDS who actually leave the Church based on interactions with anti-Mormon EVs has to be close to 0.

Edited by cinepro

Only from personal experiance can I say that their efforts to get people out of hte church or not very successful. Their efforts to stop people from join are a little bit better. I use my mission experiance in Lynchburg VA which as I understood it in 1998 had a 98% baptist population. I was told this a few times. I never bothered to actually check it so I accpeted it at face value. And the vast majority of people I talked with were baptist. I can only recall one Catholic couple I ran into. Any how Most people would not even talk to use or when they did it was to try and convert us. There was regular screenings of anti mormon propaganda being shown at all the churches in teh area and I was told all about them several times a day, including the God Makers. So I guess it depeneds on what you mean by success? Because I think they cause a great deal of doubt in investigators and potential investigators. And in that area I would say the are successful. But in other cases I would say that they are not really a problem esp at places like the Manit Pagent. Those efforts are largely a waste and they offten times look very foolish. Same thing goes for the people that protest at GC.

Most anti-Mormons fail to understand that if you alienate an LDS from his Church you don't have a Protestant, or a Catholic, you have an atheist.

You know that is the truth and they know it at least in Lynchburg. I was told that it was better to be an athiest than to be a Mormon. I heard that from a few folks out in VA. Which is really interesting because they claim to want to bring you to the truth. So there runs a very intereting mentallity to look at. Of course not all of them know this or understand it.

It is still a very interesting observation. So maybe if they really did understand it they might have a different out look? Is that what you mean? If so I agree.

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

Most anti-Mormons fail to understand that if you alienate an LDS from his Church you don't have a Protestant, or a Catholic, you have an atheist.

That's still considered a success to many if not most anti-Mormon folk, though. They don't believe we believe in the true God anyway so at that point, to them, that LDS would be just letting go of some false LDS ideas they have about God.

It's all comes down to what a person considers "success" to be.

I suspect their only "success" would be in preventing people from joining the Church, or even wanting to learn about it.

The number of LDS who actually leave the Church based on interactions with anti-Mormon EVs has to be close to 0.

A freind of mine who I worked with 7 years ago said his dad was a pastor and moved from CA to Utah to convert mormons. He claimed he has quite a bit of success. Of course he tried to convert me. It was a colossal failure. He relied heavily upon Charles Larsens book. Anyway I questioned how much success his dad really did have. Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

Evangelical anti-Mormonism played a significant role in my being converted from Evangelical Pentecostalism to Mormonism.

Sounds like there would be a great backstory behind that. :)

I think the main thrust of these programs is to "inoculate" their own members against ever investigating those evil Mahrmans. That and in many cases providing a living for the producers and presenters of this type of material. I HAVE noticed that every ex-LDS who appears on their program claims to have been a bishop, but in my limited exposure then demonstrates lack of knowledge of even basic LDS doctrine. Who knew being a bishop could be such a confusing experience?

Edited by Buzzard

Evangelical anti-Mormonism played a significant role in my being converted from Evangelical Pentecostalism to Mormonism.

Yes, I would be interested to hear that experience too....what made you have a change of heart? I'm especially curious since you came from a Pentecostal background (I read your blog occasionally :clapping: ) and was wondering how you made a transition since Pentecostalism has much more of a Supernatural base such as faith healing, deliverance etc.

Yes indeed. I don't believe Christ would like that either per Mark 9, Luke 9, & Matthew 18. In which Christ warns his followers not to condemn or offend other believers not with them. He says, they who are not against you, and don't speak evil of Him (Christ) can only be for you. LDS don't do either.

Not only that, but Christ's condemnation of anti'ism against believers is so strong, that he say's it's better they kill themselves if they don't cut that offending part off (he say's drown).

I met a security guard at the Hill Cumorah pageant years ago who joined the LDS church because of the Anti-Mormon thugs with their mega-phones. And when I say thugs, I really mean it. Those guys were really something to behold. Any other religion and that group would have rose up and rode those guys out of town on a rail.

Edited by Programmer