Books As Sources Of Inspiration

I know Joseph once said something to the effect that we should read the best books, but did he ever mention really getting anything out of a book (other than the Bible or the BOM)?

A couple of examples that come to mind are Foxe's Book of Martyrs, and the Book of Jasher.

• Upvote 2

I know Joseph once said something to the effect that we should read the best books, but did he ever mention really getting anything out of a book (other than the Bible or the BOM)?

Doctrine and Covenants 88:

118 And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith.

Best Books in which to seek wisdom:

Lesbian Vampires vs. Zombies

Twilight

50 Shades of Grey

The Necronomicon (Arabic non-expurgated version only)

How to make Enemies and Alienate People

Embraced by the Light

Left Behind

You are welcome.

Even though in Section 91 of the D&C is talking about the Apocrypha, I think the same prinicple can be used for any source of inspiration:

D&C 91

4: Therefore, whoso readeth it, let him understand, for the Spirit manifesteth truth;

5: And whoso is enlightened by the Spirit shall obtain benefit therefrom;

What did Joseph say about them?

In 1834 the Prophet Joseph Smith borrowed a copy of Foxe’s Book of the Martyrs from the Stevensons in Michigan. According to Edward Stevenson, when Joseph returned the book he said, “I have, by the aid of the Urim and Thumim, seen those martyrs, and they were honest, devoted followers of Christ, according to the light they possessed, and they will be saved.

http://rsc.byu.edu/archived/prelude-restoration-apostasy-restored-church/4-thomas-muntzer-and-radical-reformation

What is the likelihood that Noah’s printing of the translation of Sefer Hayashar—The Book of Jasher—was had by the Prophet Joseph Smith and the early brethren? And if they did have it, what was their evaluation of it? Two years after the notice of the 1840 publication of The Book of Jasher, an editorial appeared in the Times and Seasons concerning the “Persecution of the Prophets” in ancient times.[32] The article cites among others the example of Abraham’s trials, and then seeks to corroborate the story of the attempt to sacrifice Abraham (Abraham 1:15)[33] through a reference to The Book of Jasher[34] as follows:

Abraham, the prophet of the Lord, was laid upon the lion bedstead for a slaughter; and the book of Jasher, which has not been disproved as a bad author, says he was cast into the fire of the Chaldees.[35]

Twilight

50 Shades of Grey

Embraced by the Light

Left Behind

You are welcome.

I would add a couple of more that live up (er down) to your standards:

Lord of the Rings

Harry Potter

Twilight

50 Shades of Grey

Embraced by the Light

Left Behind

You are welcome.

Ah, I have in fact read Embraced by the Light. I was impressed, at the time, not so much as time passed. We all have our metaphysical mystery events. And then there those who exploit them....

Twilight

50 Shades of Grey

Embraced by the Light

Left Behind

You are welcome.

It's a good list, but I think my wife learned the most from "Fifty Shades Darker".

:girl_devil:

Edited by cinepro
  • 3 weeks later...

I asked the question in the OP because I believe that God may have spoken to me thru the inscription on the back front cover of a used book or two, but if that's true, would it mean that I need to pay attention to the whole book (or two)?

Inquiring, I think it could be the entire book, or it could just be the back cover (in other words, either is possible).  You will have to find out what the Spirit (inspiration) wants you to do, because the Spirit will always be right =).

Edited by TAO
  • Upvote 1