Need Some Feedback/Opinions Ontraining Scout Leaders

Since I can always remember the local stake leaders have always encouraged scout leaders to get trained by their local BSA council/district. The problem we face In our area (midwest) however is the training is over two days which always land on Sat/Sun. So we can't follow the direction from our leaders and it becomes frustrating. I've just dropped the issue for several years until recently having been called back into the scouting program I've obviously brought the issue back up.

Reading the LDS Scout Handbook: (Page 1) states...

2.1 Ongoing Training

Stake Young Men and Primary presidencies also offer ongoing training and support for ward Young Men, Primary, and Scouting leaders. In addition, the BSA provides monthly roundtables to help leaders learn Scouting methods and skills; it also offers a variety of optional training courses such as Wood Badge, the Trainer’s EDGE, and others. Stake and ward budget allowance funds may be used for adult Scouting training.Training courses that require overnight activities should not be attended by mixed groups of adult men and women unless both genders have appropriate sleeping and personal care arrangements that are not in immediate proximity to each other. Where possible, leaders should attend training offered on days other than Sunday

To me, the last sentence leaves some wiggle room for areas like ours, do you agree?

I've not brought it up with anyone, just been reading the manual and looking for ways I can get trained. It's been this way for at least 20+ years in our area, the local council only offer these type of training on Sat/Sun. I'm sure in Utah and areas with more LDS population there are more options?

Have you talked to the local council about possibly offering another day? How many people usually attend the training sessions? If you could get enough LDS leaders together, perhaps they would be willing to book a special nonSunday session. My memory for Scouts Canada was that the sessions were rather expensive so they were likely making some good money off of them, if the same is so for the US, then it might be worth it to them financially to offer it on occasion, every few years or so for the new crop of leaders.

Since I can always remember the local stake leaders have always encouraged scout leaders to get trained by their local BSA council/district. The problem we face In our area (midwest) however is the training is over two days which always land on Sat/Sun. So we can't follow the direction from our leaders and it becomes frustrating. I've just dropped the issue for several years until recently having been called back into the scouting program I've obviously brought the issue back up.

Reading the LDS Scout Handbook: (Page 1) states...

2.1 Ongoing Training

Stake Young Men and Primary presidencies also offer ongoing training and support for ward Young Men, Primary, and Scouting leaders. In addition, the BSA provides monthly roundtables to help leaders learn Scouting methods and skills; it also offers a variety of optional training courses such as Wood Badge, the Trainer’s EDGE, and others. Stake and ward budget allowance funds may be used for adult Scouting training.Training courses that require overnight activities should not be attended by mixed groups of adult men and women unless both genders have appropriate sleeping and personal care arrangements that are not in immediate proximity to each other. Where possible, leaders should attend training offered on days other than Sunday

To me, the last sentence leaves some wiggle room for areas like ours, do you agree?

I've not brought it up with anyone, just been reading the manual and looking for ways I can get trained. It's been this way for at least 20+ years in our area, the local council only offer these type of training on Sat/Sun. I'm sure in Utah and areas with more LDS population there are more options?

Just get the Sunday material and study on your own. In our area they have training just for LDS groups, led by LDS members.

Have you talked to the local council about possibly offering another day? How many people usually attend the training sessions? If you could get enough LDS leaders together, perhaps they would be willing to book a special nonSunday session. My memory for Scouts Canada was that the sessions were rather expensive so they were likely making some good money off of them, if the same is so for the US, then it might be worth it to them financially to offer it on occasion, every few years or so for the new crop of leaders.

Please don't get me started. I am not as enamored with the scout organization as others seem to be.

The woodman badge type skills that leaders need to have to be solid leaders for the boys, may require multiple day sessions. And there is great value in having our scout leaders know the leaders in other troops. What I would do is ask the scout exec to tell you who to see and how to persuade them to train at times other than sunday (because the scoutleaders also have obligations with their congregations).

There is now a lot of scout leader training online. I think that other than the woodsman and the monthly roundtables, scout leader training should be mostly online ---- scout families sacrifice enough without requiring the adults to anything in a meeting that doesn't actually require a meeting. (The reason the monthly roundtables require a meeting is because there is typically a wealth of knowledge of how to address every issue in the troop at those sessions, not to mention relationships that you can tap at other times when you need them.)

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By blueglass
      Continuing Scouts through 2019 will be challenging.  
      As an Eagle scout who earned 3 palms, and enjoyed (mostly) the program, I am disappointed on how many scandals have sullied the boy scouts brand as an organization of volunteers doing service for others.  Scouts helped boys get out of their digital caves and into the wild.  Scouts helped young men explore different careers by fulfilling merit badge requirements.  Scouts helped prepare our young men for emergencies through First Aid, Emergency medicine, CPR training.  Scouts helped young men learn to lead, direct, and plan activities, excursions, camps, projects, and trips when administered properly (Youth led, leader supported).  I have two young sons 14 and 8 and as a family we're looking for alternate volunteer groups, youth service organizations to replace the dying BSA program right now rather than treading water through 2019.
      During the friends of scouting drive in Feb of this year our bishop's counselor a true blue scouting apologist replaced the 3rd hour EQ/Relief Society meetings with videos promoting a friends of scouting fundraising push.  Enthusiasm was a bit muted especially from the relief society presidency.  Nonetheless I am forever thankful for the service of my leaders as a young man, and have enjoyed volunteering when I can.  
      Anyone have insight on the new YM program to roll out in the next 12 months?  2020?  If you were to design a program to replace BSA what would it look like?    Teancum's Special Forces?  (TSF)? 
    • By nuclearfuels
      So now that President Nelson has shown us how he roles and how the inspiration he receives roles, I can't help but ask/ponder aloud with my cyber-ward-family/friends (I don't know any of you well enough to consider our relationship to be that of frenemies, my apologies):
      - I figure we have maybe two years until the BSA program (love it or hate it) will be replaced
      - Several years ago, maybe 10+ years, there was talk about mini-Temples being created in levels other the main entry level of stake centers; wondering if this idea might come back?  Really I'm just looking for an excuse to goto Ireland and a Temple openhouse seems to be that opportunity; slainte!
      - Wondering if any of you have written to General Authorities and asked about topics like these; anyone received a response?  Since "marriage" has been legally "redefined," I'm curious to ask the GA's if redefining marriage in the vein of Abraham, Issac, Jacob, Moses, Joseph Smith, Brigham Young and many others defined marriage.  Waiting for SCOTUS to "redefine marriage" again (before reinstituting), would be more palatable no doubt, but aren't we on kind of an accelerated time schedule/ last days etc.?  And when you attend the Temple, don't the Sisters outnumber the Brothers by a factor of 3 to 1, on average?
    • By JAHS
      "A US bishop told Catholic parishes, schools and institutions they must cut ties with the Boy Scouts of America because of the organisation’s decision to allow openly gay troop leaders and employees to serve in their ranks at the national level."

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2015/08/11/us-bishops-tells-catholic-groups-to-sever-ties-with-boy-scouts/

Will the LDS Church follow their lead? 
    • By KevinG
      Taking a step back from the specific conflicts of gay marriage, gay and atheist scouts, and related topics...  

The broader issue of Church and State looms large in these discussions.  This board being primarily USA and Canadian Saints have lots of assumptions regarding the role of the state when it comes to religious liberty.  The Latter-Day Saints are particularly sensitive in our organizational memory of times when the state stepped in and denied the free exercise of our religion.

I'd like to start a discussion on the broader concept of:

When and where it is appropriate (healthy, moral, right, or other synonyms) for the state to step in and regulate, limit, or require a religious institution to abide by laws that may be contrary to it's own doctrines and practices?  

Are these government interventions ever right?  

Do they apply equally to religions that reflect a majority population than they do to minority religions or traditionally marginalized groups?  

When two minority groups (LDS, LGBT advocates) are in conflict over their rights of free association, who arbitrates or mediates their differences?

Where is the balance between anarchy and tyranny, that still respects individual rights?

If we can step back from our own pet organizations or causes- this broader discussion might shed light on the proper relationship between community standards, individual rights, and the rights of faith based organizations. 

• By RegularMormon
      News Article: New President Robert Gates: I would have allowed gay men in Boy Scouts

Considering this article and the latest decision to allow gay youth in scouting but ban adult leaders; I would be interested in everyone's insight, thoughts or concern should there ever be a decision in the future to allow adult gay leaders with the BSA and if this would be the "breaking point" so to speak for the LDS church to "pull out"?   I've been involved in scouting since youth and would greatly sadden me but at the same time I've always worried there would be a day when something like this would come and my concern on how members (even myself) would respond.  I know this is all hypothetical but through the years I've always came across at least a handful of members who have no interest or even oppose scouting in the church for various reasons. TBH when the new "Duty to God" program rolled out with the young men I thought to myself this might be a replacement; but that's the suspicious side of me thinking lol.  Thoughts?