Need Some Feedback/Opinions Ontraining Scout Leaders

Since I can always remember the local stake leaders have always encouraged scout leaders to get trained by their local BSA council/district. The problem we face In our area (midwest) however is the training is over two days which always land on Sat/Sun. So we can't follow the direction from our leaders and it becomes frustrating. I've just dropped the issue for several years until recently having been called back into the scouting program I've obviously brought the issue back up.

Reading the LDS Scout Handbook: (Page 1) states...

2.1 Ongoing Training

Stake Young Men and Primary presidencies also offer ongoing training and support for ward Young Men, Primary, and Scouting leaders. In addition, the BSA provides monthly roundtables to help leaders learn Scouting methods and skills; it also offers a variety of optional training courses such as Wood Badge, the Trainer’s EDGE, and others. Stake and ward budget allowance funds may be used for adult Scouting training.Training courses that require overnight activities should not be attended by mixed groups of adult men and women unless both genders have appropriate sleeping and personal care arrangements that are not in immediate proximity to each other. Where possible, leaders should attend training offered on days other than Sunday

To me, the last sentence leaves some wiggle room for areas like ours, do you agree?

I've not brought it up with anyone, just been reading the manual and looking for ways I can get trained. It's been this way for at least 20+ years in our area, the local council only offer these type of training on Sat/Sun. I'm sure in Utah and areas with more LDS population there are more options?

Have you talked to the local council about possibly offering another day? How many people usually attend the training sessions? If you could get enough LDS leaders together, perhaps they would be willing to book a special nonSunday session. My memory for Scouts Canada was that the sessions were rather expensive so they were likely making some good money off of them, if the same is so for the US, then it might be worth it to them financially to offer it on occasion, every few years or so for the new crop of leaders.

Since I can always remember the local stake leaders have always encouraged scout leaders to get trained by their local BSA council/district. The problem we face In our area (midwest) however is the training is over two days which always land on Sat/Sun. So we can't follow the direction from our leaders and it becomes frustrating. I've just dropped the issue for several years until recently having been called back into the scouting program I've obviously brought the issue back up.

Reading the LDS Scout Handbook: (Page 1) states...

2.1 Ongoing Training

Stake Young Men and Primary presidencies also offer ongoing training and support for ward Young Men, Primary, and Scouting leaders. In addition, the BSA provides monthly roundtables to help leaders learn Scouting methods and skills; it also offers a variety of optional training courses such as Wood Badge, the Trainer’s EDGE, and others. Stake and ward budget allowance funds may be used for adult Scouting training.Training courses that require overnight activities should not be attended by mixed groups of adult men and women unless both genders have appropriate sleeping and personal care arrangements that are not in immediate proximity to each other. Where possible, leaders should attend training offered on days other than Sunday

To me, the last sentence leaves some wiggle room for areas like ours, do you agree?

I've not brought it up with anyone, just been reading the manual and looking for ways I can get trained. It's been this way for at least 20+ years in our area, the local council only offer these type of training on Sat/Sun. I'm sure in Utah and areas with more LDS population there are more options?

Just get the Sunday material and study on your own. In our area they have training just for LDS groups, led by LDS members.

Have you talked to the local council about possibly offering another day? How many people usually attend the training sessions? If you could get enough LDS leaders together, perhaps they would be willing to book a special nonSunday session. My memory for Scouts Canada was that the sessions were rather expensive so they were likely making some good money off of them, if the same is so for the US, then it might be worth it to them financially to offer it on occasion, every few years or so for the new crop of leaders.

Please don't get me started. I am not as enamored with the scout organization as others seem to be.

The woodman badge type skills that leaders need to have to be solid leaders for the boys, may require multiple day sessions. And there is great value in having our scout leaders know the leaders in other troops. What I would do is ask the scout exec to tell you who to see and how to persuade them to train at times other than sunday (because the scoutleaders also have obligations with their congregations).

There is now a lot of scout leader training online. I think that other than the woodsman and the monthly roundtables, scout leader training should be mostly online ---- scout families sacrifice enough without requiring the adults to anything in a meeting that doesn't actually require a meeting. (The reason the monthly roundtables require a meeting is because there is typically a wealth of knowledge of how to address every issue in the troop at those sessions, not to mention relationships that you can tap at other times when you need them.)