Seriously No Politics ×

Calvery Chapelites Joining The Church

Within the last few years I know of a Calvery Chapel member [Mike who I became friends with] who got Baptized and recieved the Gift of the Holy Ghost and was confirmed a member of the Church just outside of my stake. A few weeks ago my new friend Jessie [which I posted about about before and a former member of a local Calvery Chapel] was Baptized and gived The Gift of the Holy Ghost joined the Church and moved to Utah and this Sunday my former roomate of 2-3 years ago and current friend Miguel a former member of a local Calvery Chapel is getting Baptized [ I am giving a special testimony talk at his baptism.

Has anyone else know of any Calvery Chapel members joining The Lord's True Church ?. I wonder what goes on inside them in there Hearts/Minds as they make that transition ?. In conversation with them it goes beyond words. Any thoughts.

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

LDS JEDI KNIGHT

Within the last few years I know of a Calvery Chapel member [Mike who I became friends with] who got Baptized and recieved the Gift of the Holy Ghost and was confirmed a member of the Church just outside of my stake. A few weeks ago my new friend Jessie [which I posted about about before and a former member of a local Calvery Chapel] was Baptized and gived The Gift of the Holy Ghost joined the Church and moved to Utah and this Sunday my former roomate of 2-3 years ago and current friend Miguel a former member of a local Calvery Chapel is getting Baptized [ I am giving a special testimony talk at his baptism.

Has anyone else know of any Calvery Chapel members joining The Lord's True Church ?. I wonder what goes on inside them in there Hearts/Minds as they make that transition ?. In conversation with them it goes beyond words. Any thoughts.

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

LDS JEDI KNIGHT

I have known many who were anti-Mormon...maybe the Church's efforts have gotten out of control. The greater the abuse of such ministries, the less inclined those listening lose interest. Many of us lose site of this...so I like it when anti-Mormon sites and Churches do it. To the "good hearted", it is a real turn-off. Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

LDS JEDI KNIGHT

I attended there several times in 2005. They were very nice people and only preach what is in the Bible, with little "Interpretation". Don't remember their position on the trinity. Yes, I can see it happening.

Don't remember their position on the trinity. Yes, I can see it happening.

We believe that there is one living and true GOD, eternally existing in three persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, equal in power and glory; that this triune God created all, upholds all, and governs all things. (Genesis 1:1; Deuteronomy 6:4;Isaiah 44:8 and 48:16; Matthew 28:19-20; John 10:30; Hebrews 1:3).

We believe that the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the Word of God, fully inspired without error and the infallible rule of faith and practice. The Word of God is the foundation upon which this church operates and is the basis for which this church is governed. We believe that the Word of God supersedes any earthly law that is contrary to the Holy Scriptures. It is from God's Word that we establish our doctrine and Statement of Faith. (Isaiah 28:13; Nehemiah 8:8; John 17:17; 2 Timothy 3:16-17;Hebrews 4:12; 1 Peter 1:23-25; 2 Peter 1:3-4 and 1:21).

We believe in the person of God the Father, an infinite, eternal, personal Spirit, perfect in holiness, wisdom, power and love; that He concerns Himself mercifully in the affairs of men; that He hears and answers prayer; and that He saves from sin and death all those who come to Him through Jesus Christ. (Deuteronomy 33:27;Psalms 90:2; Psalms 102:27; John 3:16 and 4:24; 1 Timothy 1:17; Titus 1:3).

We believe in the person of Jesus Christ, God's only begotten Son, conceived by the Holy Spirit. We believe in His virgin birth, sinless life, miracles and teachings, his substitutionary atoning death, bodily resurrection, ascension into heaven, perpetual intercession for His people and personal, visible return to earth. (Isaiah 7:14;Micah 5:2; Matthew 1:23; Mark 16:19; Luke 1:34-35; John 1:1-2, 8:58 and 11:25;1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 1 Timothy 3:16; Hebrews 1:8; 1 John 1:2; Revelation 1:8).

We believe in the person of the Holy Spirit, Who came forth from the Father and Son to convict the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment, and to regenerate, sanctify and empower for ministry all who believe in Christ; (Acts 1:8; 2 Corinthians 3:18;John 16:8-11; Romans 8:26 and 15:13,16; Hebrews 9:14).

We believe the Holy Spirit indwells every believer in Jesus Christ and that He is an abiding helper, teacher, and guide. (John 6:13, 14:16-17 and 16:8-11; Romans 8:26).

We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit and in the exercise of all Biblical gifts of the Spirit according to the instructions given to us in 1 Corinthians 12-14. (1 Corinthians 14)

We believe that all people are sinners by nature and, therefore, are under condemnation; that God saves and regenerates based upon faith by the Holy Spirit, those who repent of their sins and confess Jesus Christ as Lord. (Acts 8:15-17;Ephesians 2:1-3 and 8-9; Romans 3:23 and 5:8; Titus 3:5).

We believe in the universal church, the living spiritual body, of which Christ is the head and all who are born again are a part of the Body of Christ. (1 Corinthians 12:12-13;Ephesians 4:15-16)

We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ instituted two ordinances for the church: (a) full immersion water baptism of believers, and (b) the Lord's Supper. (Matthew 28:19;Luke 22:19-20; Acts 2:38; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26) We also believe that the Lord Jesus Christ validated the ordinance of marriage. (Matthew 19:4-5 and John 2:1-11)

We believe in the Second Coming of Jesus Christ which is His personal, visible return to earth and the establishment of His millennial kingdom, in the resurrection of the body, the final judgment and eternal blessing of the righteous and endless separation of the wicked. (Matthew 16:27; Acts 1:11; Revelation 19:11-16, 20:11-15)

We believe in the Pre-Tribulation Rapture of the Church where all believers will meet the Lord in the air and be taken out of this world prior to the Tribulation that will come upon the earth. (Isaiah 26:20; Matthew 24:29-31; Luke 21:36; Romans 1:18, 5:9;1 Thessalonians 1:10, 4:13-16 and 5:9; 2 Peter 2:7-9; Revelation 3:10, 5:7-10 and 7:13-14)

We believe in a literal Heaven and a literal Hell and that all those who place their faith, hope and trust in Jesus Christ will spend eternity in Heaven with the Lord, while those who reject Jesus’ free gift of salvation will spend eternity separated from the Lord. (Psalm 9:17; Matthew 5:3, 5:22, 18:9 and 25:31-34; Mark 9:42-49; Luke 12:5;John 3:18; Hebrews 12:23; 1 Peter 1:4; Revelation 14:10-11 and 20:11-15

http://www.calvarychapel.com/about/

I have known many who were anti-Mormon...maybe the Church's efforts have gotten out of control. The greater the abuse of such ministries, the less inclined those listening lose interest. Many of us lose site of this...so I like it when anti-Mormon sites and Churches do it. To the "good hearted", it is a real turn-off.

I'm a bit unclear about what you're saying. Are you saying that the LDS church's efforts have gone out of control, or Calvary Chapel's? And do you mean the greater abuse of anti Mormon ministries, the less likely people will listen to them? I am sometimes a slow individual! Anyways this is a subject I'm interested in because when I was in Boise, the missionaries lost several investigators to this denomination. The impression i get is that they are a very aggressive group.

I like that they teach verse by verse in their scriptures. This would sure help a person like me. Someone on here sort of made fun of me saying they studied one full year on Romans alone. But this is what I'd like. Verse by verse, love it! Of course my family wouldn't go with me and I'd be going alone. Would I be reprimanded if attended theirs and my church together? I have the 1pm ward schedule.

I like that they teach verse by verse in their scriptures. This would sure help a person like me. Someone on here sort of made fun of me saying they studied one full year on Romans alone. But this is what I'd like. Verse by verse, love it! Of course my family wouldn't go with me and I'd be going alone. Would I be reprimanded if attended theirs and my church together? I have the 1pm ward schedule.

I don't think they teach much of the Book of Mormon there. ;)

Would I be reprimanded if attended theirs and my church together?

I guess that would likely depend on how you explained it to your bishop if he found out for some reason.

I can't remember if I've recommended this site to you or not before, but you might find it helpful in your scripture study:

http://feastupontheword.org/Site:NTFootnotes

Edited by calmoriah

I guess that would likely depend on how you explained it to your bishop if he found out for some reason.

I can't remember if I've recommended this site to you or not before, but you might find it helpful in your scripture study:

http://feastuponthew...ite:NTFootnotes

The LDS Bible videos are doing this -

http://www.lds.org/b...ideos/?lang=eng

just straight out of the scriptures, verse by verse - which is awesome.

Thanks you two. I think those videos are an awesome answer for the lazy reader I can be. And it's mobile, I can take it with or even listen on my walks.

It would be a shame if you were reprimanded.

I live in an area where I'm a long way from church. I'm considering attending other local denominations from time to time as a way of meeting other people in my local community and being enriched by their perspectives on life and the scriptures.

There's even an RLDS congregation nearby. I'd be curious to attend that one too.

http://www.lds.org/bible-videos/?lang=eng

Agreed. The intention if those videos was as a way of saying 'look, Christian world, we love the Bible too.' They were designed to be the kind of videos another denomination would be happy showing in their own Sunday school classes. That's why the early ones didn't have any LDS branding on them (I think the later ones do).

If you find the 'Jesus is baptized by John' video on YouTube you'll notice it has been watched over 100,000 times and that a lot of the comments have a distinctly 'non-Mormon' sound to them.

http://www.lds.org/b...ideos/?lang=eng

I have watched a number of these videos and they are well done. When the LDS Church does anything it seems it is always done with excellence.

I'm a bit unclear about what you're saying. Are you saying that the LDS church's efforts have gone out of control, or Calvary Chapel's? And do you mean the greater abuse of anti Mormon ministries, the less likely people will listen to them? I am sometimes a slow individual! Anyways this is a subject I'm interested in because when I was in Boise, the missionaries lost several investigators to this denomination. The impression i get is that they are a very aggressive group.

Yes, they are very aggressive and highly motivated, and I have heard their leader, Chuck Smith, say that he sometimes has fun with the Mormon missionaries.

They are evangelical Calvinists and have been growing rapidly since the late 1960s, building chapels everywhere and expanding their radio ministry (which I enjoy listening to when they are not bashing Mormons).

I Attended my Friends [ex Calvery Chapelite's] now LDS Baptism yesterday which I gave a talk on following Jesus Christ. Went well, his parents who are still Calvery Chapel members do not have a problem with there son being LDS.

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

LDS JEDI KNIGHT

his parents who are still Calvery Chapel members do not have a problem with there son being LDS.

Always a blessing when family members don't see a conflict in their belief systems and can be happy for each other in their choices. Edited by calmoriah

... his parents who are still Calvery Chapel members do not have a problem with there son being LDS.

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

LDS JEDI KNIGHT

Well, if they assent to Calvary Chapel's statement of faith (posted by calmoriah, post # 4), the young man's conversion was certainly no cause for celebration. If they think little of that statement and/or their son was an unbeliever prior to his introduction to Mormonism, then it may be six-of-one, half-dozen the other. Otherwise, it's doubtful believing Christians would be as indifferent to their children as you suggest, Anakin7

--Erik

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with Calvary Temple is they tend to be pretty viciously anti-Mormon. But I have seen that backfire on anti-Mormon ministers if one or several of their congregation actually knows a Mormon who has their respect. I personally am familiar with an incident where anti-Mormon Methodist minister started a revolt in his own congregation when he impugned my wife before his executive committee because she was Mormon, he lost all of his Cubscout leaders in one fell swoop, plus about half of his executive committee. Truly awesome it was. So if they have a Calvary Temple minister who regularly attacks Mormons, it could actually drive people into the Church.

Edited by Stone holm

I think maybe my point is no one is in control...but as other Churches let their members and pastors get out of control with attacks against those of other faiths, the more turned off their own membership will become and turn to other sources. "Control" if there is such a thing should be maintained by one's faith doing the right thing, instead of pointing out the errors in others. I don't need to declare too who this applies for it is two sides to the same coin.