Seriously No Politics ×

Late Night Fireworks

ERayR

We have a dog that is afraid of the sound of fireworks and someone in the neighborhood who is setting off heavy duty and illegal fireworks. Not conducive to sleep.

I remember when me an the boys were doing the terrorizing! :)

Here in the bloomin colonies, the peasants act quite low class at times.

Edited by EllenMaksoud

We have a dog that is afraid of the sound of fireworks and someone in the neighborhood who is setting off heavy duty and illegal fireworks. Not conducive to sleep.

Same here on Monday night (someone was celebrating a birthday and practically half the ward/neighbourhood showed up)....though they are not illegal, I believe. I give the dog some extra TLC and treats to distract her and she is happy enough. Food will get her mind off of anything.

Thunderstorms are a pain too.

Edited by calmoriah

I think all fireworks that go "Bang" should be banned, with hefty fines. Every year after the 4th the notices go up in the Post Office for missing cats and dogs... fireworks should only be like sparklers and anything else that doesn't make a noise. I love to see our fireworks show on the Bay, but that's a controlled event. All this neighborhood noise is what I object to, mainly because of the pets, but I get irked at the "late night" stuff...

from the beach... thankful my Bobby-cat is an indoor kitty... at least he's safe and trusts me enough that if I tell him "It's okay" after a loud bang or two he will settle down and ignore them.

GG

July 4th... a special day here on the coast. Visitors come from miles around, particularly from the "valley" (Portland, Salem, Corvallis. etc) because the little hamlet of Gleneden Beach, where I live, a few miles south of Lincoln City here on the coast, puts on an annual Parade... started almost 20 years ago when L.C. discontinued theirs. It has now become a much loved tradition where people enjoy the day, starting with a free pancake breakfast, a dog show/competition, and then the parade... followed by the fireworks on the Bay tonight.

The parade has grown from a few kids on decorated tricycles, dogs in various costumes, the Scouts, vererans' etc etc to now we have horses, band, floats, etc etc. Attendance has grown from a few hundred to a few thousand. A real slice of home town America. The parade is so corny it is wonderful.

Today as I ran uptown to L.C. on an errand, I was not surprised to see cars parked on both sides of the main Hwy 101 (which runs parallel to Gleneden Loop Rd which is the parade route) for at least a mile. I could look up at the Loop Rd and see the people lining the roadway...

Suddenly my heart just sang because it is a beautiful day... 65 degrees, sunny, light breeze, azure sky with a few wispy clouds... perfect weather (which doesn't always happen). And I say my heart sang because I know how everyone is enjoying this holiday at the coast, families together having fun... kids, excited.

My errand uptown was to go to the bookstore and buy a copy of "To Kill a Mockingbird" for a 15-year old boy from Church who is helping me paint the exterior of my house. I'm paying him of course, but want to give him a litle something so chose this book as I know he likes to read and that he hasn't read it. It occured to me that I may have to give him a little context of the "times" as I'm sure being home-schooled perhaps he might not be able to grasp the full significance of the story. I've got professionals painting everything above 8 feet (it's a one story house but has gabled roof due to vaulted ceilings).

Anyway, as I drove past the parade, my heart just sang... what a perfect day for a parade, to celebrate our Independence... it seems that my heart becomes more tender as I grow older... I even feel quite tender toward some posters here on the Board... and... others, not so tender...heh heh... ;):angel: But, I wish all a wonderful holiday... fireworks and all...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Now, don't be a party poop! It is our Nation's Bday after all.

When I was a teen, we had a small dog that adopted my brother on his newspaper route. She had no problem with cars making noises, or trotting along behind him until he was done and then staying at our house. The original owners gave "Buttons" to him. Now, our mom had always asserted: "You can either have a dog, or you can have me." But she ended up loving Buttons: she asserted that Buttons was smarter than many people she knew, and was really a person in a dog's body. Mom tried to make Buttons an outside dog, but there was an intelligence and self image about that dog: she groomed herself, and being a white terrier mix (she looked like a miniature "sheep dog") her hair looked best when kept trimmed, so winter grime was right out. I believe it was our mom who took Buttons for her first "hairdo". Ribbons behind the ears and all. :) The back, "utility" room was Buttons' domain. She was smart enough to not do more than put her front paws on the threshold of the next room, and never entered the rest of the house: EXCEPT when the city was shooting off fireworks on the 4th and 24th (back then, nobody shot off fireworks on New Years) As the first "BOOM" reverberated through the neighborhood, Buttons would sheepishly tuck her stub of a tail in and with her nose very low try and sneak to the furthest corner of the house and hide noiselessly under the pool table. After the half hour of agony, Buttons would creep back to "her room" without a sound and maybe only a side-wards glance to see if everything was okay, she wasn't in trouble. This was because those first couple of times, our mom insisted on keeping the dog in the utility room during the fireworks, and Buttons got very agitated and barked and paced in obvious distress. Mom finally allowed that the dog could hide under the pool table during fireworks, it was only half an hour twice a year after all....

Edited by Questing Beast

Our baby was one month old yesterday, and went to his first late night fireworks show last night. I was a bit worried that the loud noises would frighten him but the little guy slept through the whole thing! Newborn babies are so weird. :D

"You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism." ~Erma Bombeck

My husband drove to Evanston Wyoming to buy some fireworks on the last day of a big sale a couple of weeks ago, some might have been illegal. They were awesome and it was my son's 16th b-day on July 3rd, and he and his friends were there, it was a fun time. But they did go BANG and there were some horses that were agitated, so we took it somewhere else and finished the show. I think my husband paid a little under 200.00 for something he would have paid 600.00 for here in Utah, according to him that is. We never do stuff like that, just buy the cheap ones....so much fun. And they even seemed a little safer, the ones we've had before were scary because you light them and they go all over the place or shoot out wrong. But these that he bought were big and beautiful.....as the ones that the city provides.

Our baby was one month old yesterday, and went to his first late night fireworks show last night. I was a bit worried that the loud noises would frighten him but the little guy slept through the whole thing! Newborn babies are so weird. :D

Apparently my year and a half old granddaughter (who slept through it last time around) spent almost the entire time in awe with a huge smile on her face, though by the end of the 45 minutes she was getting too tired to enjoy it quite so much (being way, way past her bedtime).