Seriously No Politics ×

Dispute Over Saving Seats In Church Escalates To Fight In Parking Lot

BCSpace

http://www.sltrib.co...puties.html.csp

More detail...the guy saving seats apparently was saving three rows of seats for family members for the baby blessing, Brother Dodge is a regular there and sat in his regular seat, words were exchanged and then later he punched the guy's nose apparently or whatever that caused the guy to get some blood on his face (maybe a lip?). The guy cleaned himself up and went outside and then there is some debate on whether or not Brother Dodge swerved into the man who jumped up on the hood to avoid being hit or whether the visitor was attempting to harrass Brother Dodge.

Seems there is always two sides to these things.

It seems like at those major events in life such as a baby blessing, a missionary farewell, a marriage, birthdays, and all other holidays, stress levels rise and each individual wants to make sure that it is a great day. However, their expectations of a great day are not what would help others have a great day, but in expecting that they personally will be cared for. Some one saving the ideal seat where one's own family could sit for the great event is the last straw from the stressful morning of getting to church on time. When we forget to serve others, when we forfeit our own selfish desires, we can often avoid the rancorous feelings that lead to unfortunate circumstances. You know that when a grown man of 51 has so completely lost sense of right and wrong that they get into a bout of fisticuffs after Sacrament meeting that it is a really bad day for a lot of folks. A very human and a very unfortunate situation.

What is the point of even having such an event if it is going to be stressful? That is counterproductive and simply silly. My wife does it too and it drives me crazzzzy. :crazy:

What is the point of even having such an event if it is going to be stressful? That is counterproductive and simply silly. My wife does it too and it drives me crazzzzy. :crazy:

I assume you mean the extended celebration involving those that do not need to be involved, not the ordinances themselves or the missionary giving a talk or other holidays (holy days).

http://www.sltrib.co...puties.html.csp

More detail...the guy saving seats apparently was saving three rows of seats for family members for the baby blessing, Brother Dodge is a regular there and sat in his regular seat, words were exchanged and then later he punched the guy's nose apparently or whatever that caused the guy to get some blood on his face (maybe a lip?). The guy cleaned himself up and went outside and then there is some debate on whether or not Brother Dodge swerved into the man who jumped up on the hood to avoid being hit or whether the visitor was attempting to harrass Brother Dodge.

I think it was alright for the man to reserve seats for the baby blessing. Although if confronted he should have just moved up a row. Now if the guy insists that every Sunday he must sit in that seat, I would say no go.

The next place this will happen is the Mesa Easter pageant. People are crazy saving an excessive amount of seats. I am not afraid to give a person a dirty look, fighting is a bit over the top though even for me.

I assume you mean the extended celebration involving those that do not need to be involved, not the ordinances themselves or the missionary giving a talk or other holidays (holy days).

No offense because I like you... I mean exactly what i said. There is no point in having these events if people are going to get that stressed, especially those involved. Or rather, I think people should try to have a stress free mind, I know it is hard, no judgement from me. It is just that the whole point is to be happy and stress makes happiness disappear.

Because we were sent to earth to avoid stress and have a totally peaceful life?

No I just do not feel like there is any reason to get stressed over a baby blessing and a farewell or anything that is suppose to be joyous. I understand why people get stressed, but do not think it is something I should do.

No I just do not feel like there is any reason to get stressed over a baby blessing and a farewell or anything that is suppose to be joyous. I understand why people get stressed, but do not think it is something I should do.

Don't you think it would be better to approach it as constructing your reaction not to be too stressed out rather than abandoning the entire event?

How many do you have?

• 2 weeks later...

I always miss the main event of this sort. Last time a ward I attended had a fight, I was out on assignment at the Terminal Island Federal Prison with the LDS group there. When I got back I was told about how a Polynesian member from another ward came into the Church during Sacrament mtg and gut punched and began beating someone he believed was a pedophile. Turned out he was mistaken and there were apologies and forgiveness all around.

Why do I always miss the fun stuff?

I did see some of that in the Marine Corps. In boot camp, for example, our Drill Instructor caught a couple of big guys fighting. He grabbed them, put boxing gloves on them, put them in an outdoor ring, and (to our delight) had the whole platoon watch them punch each other silly. He had them continue till they could no longer lift their arms. Then he tied them together face to face for a while. After that they became close friends (no pun intended).

:spiteful:

Archived