Seriously No Politics ×

Jim Harmstrom Is Dead..

BookofMormonLuvr

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56525075-78/church-harmston-tlc-christ.html.csp

* An interesting point is made at the end of the article. Jim, who claimed to be the reincarnated Joseph Smith, died on the same day Joseph died in 1844. Unfortunately, that fact will probably only embolden his followers to "stay to course." and put Jim in even higher esteem in their eyes. *

Do they actually believe he was the prophet reincarnated or is this ex member of their community just saying they will because of his death date.

They actually do believe it, I read it from their own materials when they had a functioning webpage. They believe in a concpet called "Multiple Mortal Probations". I'll see if I can't find a way-back type site that might have some stuff archived.

They actually do believe it, I read it from their own materials when they had a functioning webpage. They believe in a concpet called "Multiple Mortal Probations". I'll see if I can't find a way-back type site that might have some stuff archived.

I think this doctrine would depress me. I do not want to come back and do this again.

Jim Harmston was an odd fellow. He preached the doctrine of "multiple mortal probations" which Orson Whitney believed in (also Eliza Snow, I think). He taught that he was Joseph Smith, re-born into a new probation. He condemned modern GAs for extending priesthood to blacks, and seemed to have special animosity towards Prez Hinckley, in fact he said Prez Hinckley's punishment when he died would be to be born into a new probation as a black. Of course he also had lots of wives. That's the first thing these fundamentalists always bring back and preach the loudest--although (as Tribune article notes, tongue in cheek) "it has nothing to do with sex".

Oddly enough, I once considered the notion that one lifetime isn't enough testing, especially since so many lifetimes are so short. Combine the multiverse theory, and my thought was that I was actually being tested in tens of thousands of universes in order to see if I were worthy.

I finally decided that it was a nice Sci-Fi style notion, but it was full of baloney. The first problem is, would Christ need to do the Atonement in all of them, or only one of them. Since it is obvious He would only need to do it once, and He did it here, chance favors that there IS only one universe. I decided that God the Father doesn't NEED to test us ten thousand times, because he has access to our innermost selves in a way that not even we ourselves do. He knows me. That's all He needs.

I think this doctrine would depress me. I do not want to come back and do this again.

According to MY theory, you would not come back because you're doing all of them right this second. And you're compartmentalized; the portion of You that is here thinks it is all by itself. Your consolidated You is distributed and unaware of it. When you're done with it all, You are then reintegrated and you remember all of your Yous. And what they did.

And like I said, MY theory is false doctrine. And this guy Harmstrom's is, too. Unfortunate that he has dragged so many people with him into error.

I should set record straight about what Harmston said. It wasn't Pres Hinckley but BKP he was talking about. From SL Tribune article:

Take, for example, Harmston’s tirade against LDS leadership.

``Let me tell you what, those hypocritical jackasses will be called into accountability,’’ Harmston, dressed in a crisp white shirt and bolo tie, told the congregation during his Feb. 23 sermon.

``And those great, big elders, like Boyd K. Packer, who demands that the people rise when he enters the room, will be taken down,’’ Harmston, a burly man with slicked-back gray hair, gray beard and jet-black eyebrows, rants in rich cadence.

``He will be called into accountability, but I tell you in the name of the living God, that man’s skin is going to be turned as black as coal before he makes his departure. And how do I know that? Because I am the one that’s going to make it that way! Because God will not be mocked any longer!’’

A true nutcase...kind of comical but for all of the people he scammed.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh and when did Pres Packer ever demand anyone stand when he entered the room?

I've been in a meeting in a small room (in a chapel, not in a temple, in case anyone's wondering) with President Packer and he most assuredly did not demand that we stand for him. He even instructed us to not stand up for the opening prayer.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56525075-78/church-harmston-tlc-christ.html.csp

* An interesting point is made at the end of the article. Jim, who claimed to be the reincarnated Joseph Smith, died on the same day Joseph died in 1844. Unfortunately, that fact will probably only embolden his followers to "stay to course." and put Jim in even higher esteem in their eyes. *

A question...

Would it not be simpler to be yourself and to convince you were called as was Joseph, or called to a new dispensation? Joseph gave us so much scripture; how could anyone hope to claim to be him.

Archived