History Repeating Itself...

My wife and I were researching my family history and made a break-through on my father's mother's father's line and then found out a very interesting tidbit...

My 3rd great-grandparents, Richard & Mary Meredith, were baptized in 1864, in American Fork, UT, by Elder George M. Rush... into the RLDS Church.

Her mother had previously been baptized during Joseph's time in Nova Scotia in 1843. So I assume they were already members of the LDS Church at the time. An obituary for Richard indicates that they left Utah because of their disagreement with the practice of polygamy.

I guess this apple didn't fall too far from the tree.

Edited by BookofMormonLuvr

This is interesting because generally the RLDS accepted pre-martyrdom baptisms as valid, and therefore did not require re-baptism.

I wondered that myself... I suspect Richard & Mary were baptized LDS after 1844. Edited by BookofMormonLuvr

Then there is the multiple baptisms fad at the time, where another baptism was a demonstration of renewed commitment, e.g. the "reformation" of the 1850's just prior to the Utah War, when B. Young's polemics caused many LDS to go into the waters of baptism again. Leaving the LDS and going with the RLDS would be more meaningful if one were baptized....

Then there is the multiple baptisms fad at the time, where another baptism was a demonstration of renewed commitment, e.g. the "reformation" of the 1850's just prior to the Utah War, when B. Young's polemics caused many LDS to go into the waters of baptism again. Leaving the LDS and going with the RLDS would be more meaningful if one were baptized....

excellent example of the pot calling the kettle black and white !